Home
Join

12 Replies

• I work in a school district and we've been using the HP M400 series with very little issues.

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • If the cost isn't your responsibility, just go with HP. (No one ever got fired for buying IBM, right?)

If you want to cut toner costs long term then look at Epson Ecotank.

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'll definitely be looking into the ecotank, thanks for the tip!

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Find an HP dealer that can offer you the managed products as you will save money on toners plus the managed 400 series use the same firmware as larger enterprise models. 

The only gotchas we have seen with the 400 and 500 series is that if you do not remove the cartridge properly (lift then pull) it is possible to dislodged the static fingers by the transfer roller.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_2821278-2825359-16

Spice (2) flagReport
  • enyr0py wrote:

If the cost isn't your responsibility, just go with HP. (No one ever got fired for buying IBM, right?)

If you want to cut toner costs long term then look at Epson Ecotank.

Funny how everyone quakes in their boots when you recommend liquid ink but talk cost savings and then everyone is "hey, OK"

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I assume there are pros and cons with the ecotank/liquid ink ? 

• You say something that will sit on the desks.

How much space is there for this?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • there's a decent amount of space for most people to have something the size of like an HP P2035 or slightly larger. 

• First if you do not need color do not buy it.  Color systems (toner or ink) degrade if not used. Clogged print heads can be an issue if they are not used and dry out. 

Secondly HP cartridge based printers have 10x the toner cost of other manufacturers where only the toner is replaced instead of an expensive cartridge.

If you go with a managed printer option beware many use non-oem cartridges to save money here.

You need to know approximate volumes you will run and do TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) calculations like this:

HP 400 cartridge yeild ~2500 pages - $120 = 5 cents per page just for toner. In 10,000 pages you will spend more than the cost of the printer for supplies.

Kyocera P3260- twice as fast (and twice cost but 1/10 the operating cost) TK-3192 yeild 25,000 pages - $90 = .4 cents per page

Then you have to add the Service Contract costs which will be projected lifetime volume divided by maintenance cycle multiplied by the cost of Periodic prescribed maintenance parts.  For the Kyocera an MK-3302 adds only .012 cents per page at retail for a per page supply/maint cost of half a penny per page while that HP is 5 cents just for the cartridge.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • HP Laserjet Pro M40x have been working well for my customers.  They do a lot of printing on legal paper so we need something that supports adding an additional paper tray.  Large print jobs they send to the copiers.  One copier supports color and that's where color print jobs go.  No color printers on desks besides the boss's secretary.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • PrintWhisperer wrote:

First if you do not need color do not buy it.  Color systems (toner or ink) degrade if not used. Clogged print heads can be an issue if they are not used and dry out. 

Secondly HP cartridge based printers have 10x the toner cost of other manufacturers where only the toner is replaced instead of an expensive cartridge.

If you go with a managed printer option beware many use non-oem cartridges to save money here.

You need to know approximate volumes you will run and do TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) calculations like this:

HP 400 cartridge yeild ~2500 pages - $120 = 5 cents per page just for toner. In 10,000 pages you will spend more than the cost of the printer for supplies.

Kyocera P3260- twice as fast (and twice cost but 1/10 the operating cost) TK-3192 yeild 25,000 pages - $90 = .4 cents per page

Then you have to add the Service Contract costs which will be projected lifetime volume divided by maintenance cycle multiplied by the cost of Periodic prescribed maintenance parts.  For the Kyocera an MK-3302 adds only .012 cents per page at retail for a per page supply/maint cost of half a penny per page while that HP is 5 cents just for the cartridge.

Few customers buy a low yield HP cartridge for that reason and the high yield cartridge cuts cost per page in half. Most often customer are likley to opt for 2 smaller printers when trying to appease uses who want local printing ability. . The P3260 looks pretty good but I am surprised the life of the developer is listed on some sites at 100,000 pages. That is a pretty short cycle compared to an HP M608 (225K) which would be a better comparison to the Kyocera. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I appreciate all the responses thus far and have been looking into these printers to determine what will work best. I guess another caveat to all this is, IF I am able to track down and get these with the way current ship operations are around the world. :-/  * Sigh*

Read these next...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...

• Snap, AD auth fixes, Canada bans Huawei, Linux, space lasers, & Daredevil

Snap, AD auth fixes, Canada bans Huawei, Linux, space lasers, & Daredevil

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to not only Friday, but according to Lonny6654 who wrote today's community-created Spark article, it is also World Bee Day. To raise awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face, ...

• The SOC Briefing for May 20th - Updates Here we Come!

The SOC Briefing for May 20th - Updates Here we Come!

Security

Good morning and welcome to today's briefing. We have a lot of updates and none more relevant than Microsoft since their AD Authentication issues from last week's patch Tuesday. We have some updates for VMware, WordPress, QNAP, SOnicwall and Apple. We th...