Home
Join

61 Replies

• MarkPayton wrote:

5. Data Privacy Day

While generally I am an honest person, I have no qualms about lying when an online form asks for information that I consider none of their business. (Unless, of course, it is illegal to do so, like on a fedgov form.)

Is your birthday 1/1/11 also?

Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • 1. Science Fiction Day / Introvert Day

Related Task: tell us your favorite rest and recharge activity other than sleeping.

Playing D&D, Making D&D maps, characters, stories and character sheets. It's always great fun. Or playing FFXIV Online. Have you tried the expanded Free Trial of the critically acclaimed MMORPG #FFXIV? You can play through the entirety of A Realm Reborn and the award-winning Heavensward expansion up to level 60 for FREE with no restrictions on playtime!

_____

2. Clean Your Desk Day

Related Task: tell us about what you do and don't like about your desk setup.

I like the desk size it's perfect. Only issue is everyone behind can see what I'm doing at all times. I really need to turn it somehow..

_____

3. Popcorn Day

Related Task: tell us your favorite form of popcorn, and when you like to eat it.

Toffee popcorn is great for stay-in days!

_____

4. Compliment Day

Related Task: tell us about a compliment that you received that you appreciated.

Someone told me the best thing the company did was hiring me :) 

_____

5. Data Privacy Day

Related Task: tell us about something you do to keep your data private.

Started using 1Password and working on tidying up all my account passwords, removing weak or duplicated ones. This helps protect my data and keep everything private! It's great!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • WombaticusRingbarcus wrote:

Hope you do know that a clean desk is a sign of a sick mind Hehehe!!

I always heard this as a question:

If a messy desk is the sign of a messy mind, what is an empty desk the sign of?

• ich.ni.san wrote:

MarkPayton wrote:

5. Data Privacy Day

While generally I am an honest person, I have no qualms about lying when an online form asks for information that I consider none of their business. (Unless, of course, it is illegal to do so, like on a fedgov form.)

Is your birthday 1/1/11 also?

No, but that one IS easy to remember!

• Don't know what an empty desk is a sign of.  My wife cleaned my desk once couldn't find anything and she hasn't touched it since and we have been married 30 years :)

Spice (3) flagReport

Related Task: tell us your favorite rest and recharge activity other than sleeping.
    Two things - depending on the weather and spending margin in my budget.
    #1: Getting high. Literally - up in an airplane, looking down on the rest of the world.
    #2: Heroing in whichever RPG I happen to be playing through.

_____

2. Clean Your Desk Day

Like: It's an actual desk, unlike at my previous job where I had an old door laid across a couple of file cabinets.
    Dislike: Not quite enough space to double as a work bench for systems, which makes it feel cluttered when I have more than one system to work on.
    _____

3. Popcorn Day

Alternatively, tell us about the casual attire you wear around the house. Sweats? Pajama pants? Shorts and T-Shirts? Socks or no socks?
    All of those, depending on how warm it is. Sometimes less than that (is that TMI?) :)
    _____

4. Compliment Day

Related Task: tell us about a compliment that you received that you appreciated.
    I was once told that I am a very "genuine" person, which may not actually have been a compliment, but that's the way I took it. I generally say exactly what I think, instead of responding with commonly accepted social niceties. I guess there's no future in politics for me :)
    _____

5. Data Privacy Day

Alternatively, tell us a good story involving LEGO bricks or bubble wrap.
    This is the best and most entertaining lego build that I've ever seen.
    James May's LEGO House Build

Spice (3) flagReport
  • LoveToFlyGuy wrote:

4. Compliment Day

I was once told that I am a very "genuine" person, which may not actually have been a compliment, but that's the way I took it. I generally say exactly what I think, instead of responding with commonly accepted social niceties. I guess there's no future in politics for me :)

This reminded me of one of the strangest compliments I've ever received ...

Just over a yesr ago, I was visiting the office of an organisation I frequently volunteer with (and have been for over a decade), and amongst the conversation, one of the people there told me that I "have too much personality to be in IT"! 🤯  I wasn't sure how to take that, but it was definitely meant as a compliment ... and some of the others in that office at the time verbally agreed with that comment/statement.  I happened to mention it a while later to one of my non-IT work colleagues ... and they ageed, too. 😲

I'm still not sure what it means ... 🤔

Spice (2) flagReport
    As someone who is a natural introvert with adapted extrovert skills, I need a lot of quiet recharge time. I like spending quiet time organizing at home or going for a walk/ hike.
    _____
    2. Clean Your Desk Day

I ordered a new desk at the end of 2021, but it came damaged so I needed to wait for a replacement. I am excited, this challenge gave me some extra motivation to get it set up in time and starting the week with a nice clean desk just feels great. My favorite new addition to my desk set up is a repurposed candle warmer that I’m now using to keep my coffee mugs warm! Such a small thing brought lots of comfort to my desk.
    _____
    3. Popcorn Day
    Popcorn is a perfect snack. I like sweet and savory popcorn, and sometimes at the same time like Chicago mix with the cheese and caramel all mixed together.
    My current favorite flavor is Banana Pudding popcorn from a local shop in Austin, TX called Soul Popped and they do soul food inspired flavors. Good news, they do ship to places in the US in case you’d like to try it.
    If I’m in the mood for a savory popcorn flavor, I like to add some nutritional yeast and/ or a miso soup packet to season some buttery popcorn. Delicious!
    _____
    4. Compliment Day
    I really like giving authentic compliments because it feels so good to pour out positivity into the world. I’ve received some great compliments in my day, but the best ones came from when I was a science teacher when children expressed that I helped them learn or enjoy science always made me feel like a million bucks.
    Today working with adults, anytime my teammates express that I’ve helped them makes my day!
    _____
    5. Data Privacy Day
    Growing up, one of my uncles who didn’t have children would spoil us with Lego sets and we’d all build stuff together for hours. I think this uncle secretly just wanted to play with Legos himself, but regardless it made for so many fun memories. When my brother in law was integrated into the family, it was really fun to watch the engineering-minded compete to make the coolest structures. I’ll never forget my BIL made a life sized electric guitar out of Legos and my uncle tried to act excited for him, but was very obviously envious of how cool his build was! We also had a brick vac back then to avoid stepping on the Legos, and really wish we still had it since it looks like they’re going for big money online today.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Tamara for Webroot wrote:

We also had a brick vac back then to avoid stepping on the Legos, and really wish we still had it since it looks like they’re going for big money online today.

That thing is awesome.  They need to bring those back!  Pain can be rated on a scale of 1 to "Step on Lego Pain"  LOL

Spice (3) flagReport
    My favorite rest and recharge activities, other than sleep, are definitely playing video games and watching movies/TV/random youtube videos all day in bed.

2. Clean Your Desk Day
    I don't have a permanent office space just yet, because reasons. I'm looking forward to making my workspace my own once I do get an office. In the meantime, I like the fact that I can be pretty mobile. When things get a little too hectic, I can always retreat into the server room for some peace and quiet. And when the weather gets nicer, I can even head to one of the nearby parks.

3. Popcorn Day
    I love popcorn with just a bit of salt and oil. We keep a stock of microwave popcorn and pre-popped popcorn in the house at all times. Nothing enhances a good movie (or even a not-so-good movie) quite like popcorn.

4. Compliment Day
    I spent half of 2020 working from home, doing phone tech/customer support for Apple. I remember one customer telling me that I restored her faith in Apple, as well as her faith in humanity. I don't remember what I did for her; it was probably something as basic as helping her reset a password.

5. Data Privacy Day
    I follow a lot of the basics. VPN on personal devices, password management (for work and for personal, through separate services), MFA wherever possible. Unplugging as much as possible from Google and the like. And I support the work of orgs like EFF to push for continued and increased data privacy protections.

Spice (4) flagReport

An artistic task – like woodworking or playing the guitar

2. Clean Your Desk Day

I like my desk setup because I have a full POE switch for all kinds of connections. Also a lot of desk space for laptops or hardware. I have a laptop screen and a monitor and would really like to get the two monitor setup soon.

3. Popcorn Day

Related Task: tell us your favorite form of popcorn, and when you like to eat it.

I love movie style popcorn – in a big bucket with some butter (not too much)

4. Compliment Day

I get overlooked sometimes and it is really nice when someone notices and appreciates what you do.

I received a compliment from ma VP that stated he has had the worst experiences through his career working with IT departments who are arrogant, incompetent, and impossible to work with. He said that he loves working with me.  And that he loves my professionalism, patience, and communication.

5. Data Privacy Day

Related Task: tell us about something you do to keep your data private.

I don’t use cloud services to house my personally generated data, including files, pictures and videos.

Spice (2) flagReport

Read these next...