Home
Join

12 Replies

• I'd capture the network traffic using Wireshark to see what is happening on the network.

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Possibly a switch glitch?

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Also check the applicable NIC on the computers. Ensure MS is not managing the power settings. Seen this multiple times.

Spice (1) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'd comb through the DHCP settings, and make sure nothing else is trying to act as a DHCP server when it's not supposed to. Also make sure your DHCP server doesn't have spotty access to any of the subnets it needs to touch. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Is your WIFI on the  same VLAN as your you wired network?

Do your wire machines get this. Have you tried disabling the wired NIC ?

• Firmware current on everything?

• Connection Timeout on the Firewall or AP ?

• Greetings! Yes, indeed, right after creating this post, I spotted re-authentication timeout being different for WIFI clients. Then I started to search for it in Google and found this article https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/802-1x-session-re-authentication-timeout-and-dhcp/m-p/281569... Exactly my case:

" I have some wireless clients (a mixture/not the same) that will lose it's IP address after the Re-authentication timeout occurs. When this occurs, the client remains connected to the ap but will eventually show an APIPA address. "

Currently I have changed this re-authentication timeout to 8 hours. This helps, but I would still like to understand why client remains connected to the AP, but do not get IP address.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • The IP is handed out by an AD authenticated session - the firewall is terminating the session. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • So you are saying that I should check the firewall - Sophos XG? I have checked firewall logs and did not find anything blocked.

• Anything in the PC event log ?

• spicehead-dkb67 wrote:

Greetings! Yes, indeed, right after creating this post, I spotted re-authentication timeout being different for WIFI clients. Then I started to search for it in Google and found this article https://community.cisco.com/t5/wireless/802-1x-session-re-authentication-timeout-and-dhcp/m-p/281569... Exactly my case:

" I have some wireless clients (a mixture/not the same) that will lose it's IP address after the Re-authentication timeout occurs. When this occurs, the client remains connected to the ap but will eventually show an APIPA address. "

Currently I have changed this re-authentication timeout to 8 hours. This helps, but I would still like to understand why client remains connected to the AP, but do not get IP address.

That Cisco community post sounds like exactly your problem. the re-auth timer is 30 minutes and so every 30 minutes clients re-dhcp.

The 30 minutes re-dhcp is not really the problem, I guess it is those that do not renew and end up with APIPA that are the pain.
    Did you try the things in that post - reboot WLC? disable re-auth, disable "dhcp required"

Read these next...

• Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Monday, everyone! It is also World Turtle Day. At first, I thought it was a day for the Great A'Tuin, a World Turtle from the Discworld series, but we have a few days until the Glorious 25th of May...

• Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Monday!  Welcome to the Monday Spark!  Grab a cup of Coffee and read on! To start things off… A Monday Quotes Top 10. 1. Monday should be optional. 2. Good morning. Keep calm and pretend it’s not Monda...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...