Home
Join

9 Replies

• Check if the address is on a out of the IPs distribution scope. Else the device may have been set with a static IP, if so, once you know what it is, take it off the distribution scope, else eventually there will be issues with it.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • hello,

you have to make a reservation for this device based on its mac address, but ideally move it either as a DHCP device or to another static IP address

# alex

Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • So found the device, it was a netgear switch, but it did NOT have a static IP address set. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, it picked up a new IP address, and now we're good. The other device was a kindle which as left then network, and I'm assuming it didn't have a static IP address ( Asked the owner and they didn't know where to set it).

Don't really know what happened.

• jonathanovision wrote:

So found the device, it was a netgear switch, but it did NOT have a static IP address set. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, it picked up a new IP address, and now we're good. The other device was a kindle which as left then network, and I'm assuming it didn't have a static IP address ( Asked the owner and they didn't know where to set it).

Don't really know what happened.

Maybe you didn't refresh the DHCP screen? However, since it is a network switch, for managing purposes, you may want that device to always have the same IP, look at the MAC address, then create a reservation with the same or a different IP, reserving it from the IP frame the scope is configured to distribute..

• I refreshed the screen, but perhaps I missed something. I was also using a ping to find it, as soon as I unplugged it it was gone.

Thanks for the help.

• jonathanovision wrote:

I refreshed the screen, but perhaps I missed something. I was also using a ping to find it, as soon as I unplugged it it was gone.

Thanks for the help.

Good to hear you got the mystery solved!

• What may have happened is that the switch got an address from DHCP, then the Windows server crashed without committing the database changes from memory to disk. (Windows 2003 was problematic that way -- a crash could cause loss of DHCP data.) When the server restarted, the lease was no longer in the database.

As a side note: if the 2003 server is a domain controller, you won't be able to introduce a 2016 or later domain controller until the 2003 server has been demoted and the domain and forest functional levels have been raised. After removing the last 2003 DC, you'll also need to migrate SYSVOL replication from FRS to DFSR before you can introduce a 2016*, 2019, or 2022 server into the domain. (* Note that FRS is still compatible with Server 2016 v1607, but NOT Server v1709 or later.) If you wish to move to Server 2016 or later, you'll need to spin up an interim DC running Server 2012 R2. Server 2003 can remain as a member server even when you raise the functional levels; it just can't be a DC. You may need to enable SMBv1 on the later servers since 2003 doesn't support SMBv2 or SMBv3.

Spice (2) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I would give that switch a static address, or turn off DHCP if you're not going to manage it by IP.

• jonathanovision wrote:

Shouldn't the DCHP server detect there is a address on the network static or dynamic and not hand out a duplicate?

No, that's not the task of a DHCP server. A DHCP server shall know which IP addresses it has handed out himself and not yet returned / revoked / elapsed. The network engineer has to ensure to not assign static IP addresses in the scope of the DHCP server. A network engineer is a person, not a DHCP server nor DHCP service. A DHCP server has not the task neither to monitor the presence of alternate rogue DHCP servers. Such a task also belongs to the network engineer.

jonathanovision wrote:

So found the device, it was a netgear switch, but it did NOT have a static IP address set. Unplugged it and plugged it back in, it picked up a new IP address, and now we're good.

If it is an unmanaged switch, it doesn't need nor pick an IP address. It it is a managed switch, I would prefer using it a static IP address outside the scope of DHCP server instead of picking a dynamic IP address from DHCP server.

Read these next...

• Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Monday, everyone! It is also World Turtle Day. At first, I thought it was a day for the Great A'Tuin, a World Turtle from the Discworld series, but we have a few days until the Glorious 25th of May...

• Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Monday!  Welcome to the Monday Spark!  Grab a cup of Coffee and read on! To start things off… A Monday Quotes Top 10. 1. Monday should be optional. 2. Good morning. Keep calm and pretend it’s not Monda...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...