Home
Join

41 Replies

• What about the Munchkin card games??

Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Here in the UK, pancake day is taken semi-seriously! The shops actually stock up on mix ready for shrove tuesday.

Traditionally it's all about crepes, not thick yankee pancakes. And it's an unwritten rule that the first one you make has to be rubbish.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • 1. Gingerbread House Day

Related Task: tell us about your own fun holiday traditions.

My family always does a fun fondue or charcuterie thing for X-Mas eve. My SO's family also does a white elephant thing that is always a hoot.

_____

2. Ugly Sweater Day / Christmas Jumper Day

Related Task: show us a pic of your favorite ugly sweater / Christmas jumper.

Got this bad boy on order

_____

3. Christmas/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day

Related Task: tell us about some of your favorite holidays in December (even if they aren't on my list).

Christmas is always a fun one. Lots of prep and gifts. My favorite though is NYE as it just involves drinking, haha.

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Related Task: tell us what card games you like to play.

Magic has to be my number one. Such a fun game, but as far as traditional games go Golf and Cribbage are mainstays in my family.

_____

5. Hogmanay

Alternatively, tell us who you'd like to see on your doorstep to set the tone for the rest of the year.

This year has been pretty good so far. I would like to see a few family members at the door, not to set the tone, just to see them. If it can be anyone to set the tone though, I would pick Keanu Reeves so I can go with the flow but also kick a$$ next year.
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Spice (6) flagReport
  • DailyLlama wrote:

What about the Munchkin card games??

Added.  Feel free to revote.

Spice (1) flagReport

I make gifts in my woodshop for Christmas.. I have so much fun and it's relaxing, too.. by far my favorite.

_____

Sorry but this is one "tradition" I just don't get into.. first, I don't like sweaters at all.. to add 'ugliness' to them, is crazy to me. but I'll give a pic I guess:

_____

I love Christmas because Babies and Grandbabies.. they make it all worth it.

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Tell us what card games you like to play.  Pinochle .. hands down.  It's like a family staple.. and anytime we get together.. it's a Pinochle night.

_____

5. Hogmanay

I'm so over COVID and everything related to it.  I just want to have some normalcy back.. and not the fear of infection somewhere.

Spice (4) flagReport
    My son and I bake cookies for Santa every year.

_____
    We usually put on reindeer antlers.

_____
    I like Christmas Eve. The peace, quiet and calm.

_____
    4. Card-Playing Day
    Our family gets pretty competitive playing Phase 10

_____
    5. Hogmanay
    I need to lose my lack of confidence in my abilities.

Spice (4) flagReport

I like to bake cardamom braids to use as an edible centerpiece when we get together with family.

Dressing up is special so I don't have any ugly sweaters or traditions along that line.  If I did, it might be like this one. 

This one looks better in my opinion: 

Some of folks like to ski on Christmas day as it can be less crowded.

4. Card-Playing Day

I would rather be in the mountains enjoying outdoor activities as card playing hasn't appealed to me yet.  Maybe I'll celebrate instead by baking some pumpkin bread for coworkers and neighbors. 

5. Hogmanay

Friends are always welcome to set the tone for the year as are parents.  

Spice (4) flagReport
  • With Poker, I like 5 card draw, 7 card draw the best.

Spice (3) flagReport

We enjoy watching Christmas movies as a family on Christmas Eve, enjoying some charcuterie and a nice wine/beer. Our extended family usually joins us for Christmas day where we enjoy a nice dinner and have a “White Elephant” exchange. The gifts are found in the attic or garage and are rather atrocious.

The Picard sweater is all me. OK, I had to add the pic of a Christmas card that will go along with it.

Related Task: tell us about some of your favorite holidays in December (even if they aren't on my list).

·        Human Rights Day

·        Winter Solstice

·        National Bouillabaisse Day

·        Bacon Day

4. Card-Playing Day

Alternatively, if you don't like to play cards, tell us some other thing you like to do with others to have an excuse to hang out with them.

Let’s have a “The Office” watching party. BYOB

I love to barbecue in any season. Stop by, hang out and see what’s on the grill. Taste test some grilled bacon.

5. Hogmanay

Related Task: tell us something about this year that you would like to burn out and change for next year.

Certainly would like to drop this pandemic into a giant bonfire. I have seen us lose so many precious moments with friends and family. If you have a chance to reach out to a friend or someone in your family, do it. Depression is rampant. I can’t wait until this is behind all of us.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • There are a LOT of games here that I have never heard of, or maybe I have played them and they are just called a different name. :) Going to be googling some of these!

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Gingerbread House Day

When my niece was younger, we enjoyed building those gingerbread house kits. Yes, not from scratch but still fun.  My own personal holiday tradition is watching a selection of Christmas movies before Christmas arrives.

Die Hard is one of those movies. 

Great job on the epic gingerbread castle Suzanne (Spiceworks)

Ugly Sweater Day / Christmas Jumper Day

We had an annual contest for the best Christmas sweaters.  I won 2 years in a row and should have had a 3-pete. ☹ haha

Christmas/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day

The best holiday is the time-off I take the last two weeks of the year.  I’ll definitely partake in Eggnog Day (love spiked eggnog). I also enjoy Christmas Eve more so than Christmas Day.  I used to put cookies out for Santa and assemble presents. Miss those days.

Card-Playing Day

Favorite card games, Spades, Hearts and Euchre (not a west coast game so nobody knows how to play).  My mom’s favorite is Rummy and Gin Rummy, and we play that non-stop when I go visit her.

Hogmanay

Hog-a-what? Never heard the term.  I’d like to burn out all my debts.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • JemJules wrote:

There are a LOT of games here that I have never heard of, or maybe I have played them and they are just called a different name. :) Going to be googling some of these!

Yeah, I know some of them are games that were remade by game manufacturers to mimic at least one ruleset of a traditional game.  Phase 10 is even like that... based on several other games, including international rummy I think.  And this (by far) is not all of them... just from some "top" lists online in addition to several that I have sitting on my own shelves here.

Spice (1) flagReport

Our favorite holiday tradition starts in late October and/or early November where my wife says we’re only buying one gift per child and she doesn’t want to mess with it this year and I should go ahead and take care of it.  So I buy everything and get it wrapped and under the tree, then with less that a week before Christmas, she starts rushing around madly buying everything in sight and I keep telling her we’ve already got everything.

It’s amazing how everybody is looking for “the best-looking Ugly Sweater.”  I think it should really be “the most outrageous and gaudy sweater.”  Clearly nobody wants to wear an ugly sweater.  You want a really good looking holiday themed sweater.  My choice has always been the Star Wars Darth Vader ones.  (He just reeks of Christmas spirit and joy 😊 ).

Well, I usually skip Green Bean Casserole Day on the 3rd, having just eaten too much of it at Thanksgiving.  So, I always start the month on Dec 4th with Santa’s List Day (the day he finalizes his two lists). Then we have St. Nicholas Day on the 6th, and we watch A Charlie Brown Christmas on the 9th to celebrate the anniversary of the first airing in 1965.  The 9th is Christmas Card Day, the 12th is Gingerbread House day, the 13th is Popcorn Stringing Day, the 14th is Roast Chestnuts Day, the 18th, is Bake Cookies Day, the 20th is Caroling Day -- all culminating in Humbug Day on the 21st.  But Christmas aside, we can’t forget Cat Herding Day on the 15th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_MaJDK3VNE

4. Card-Playing Day

Go Fish was the card game of choice when the kids were growing up.  It worked well for a wide age range.  Somehow, I never won when I kept asking “Got any 11s?”  The kids now collect themed decks of cards and there is always a couple of decks that make it into Christmas or birthday presents at the house.

5. Hogmanay

I would say I’m already burned out. But if there was something I’d like to set on fire and watch it burn would be all the confusion and lack of agreement between federal and state requirements on our company that keep changing almost weekly due to COVID. And I would probably want Elon Musk to step through the door first.  Not because I think that would be good or bad, but just because if he showed up, you know it's gonna be interesting whatever happens.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • On the "Other" card thing, I think my favorite game ever is Wallachen -- 3 player bidding/trick/betting game using 32 card German deck -- I thought it was played all over Germany when I was living in Bavaria, but it turns out no -- only Eastern Bavaria ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  You can play it with "normal" cards of course -- if you've only got 3 people and a deck of cards -- and you're bored with 3, 5, 9 -- look up Wallachen (or just "Wallach" in Bayerisch) -- it's fun once you get the hang of it -- playing for money (and drinking German beer) helps, too 😃

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Gingerbread House Day-One tradition we have is making these cream cheese spritz cookies, which my oldest calls Sprite cookies (even though there is no sprite in them) and they are an act of love- small, pressed cookies which are carefully decorated to resemble whatever shape you use in the press-bows, trees, snowflakes whatever. I usually make about 10-15 dozen and it is an all-day (sometimes 3 or 4-day process) The dough has to be chilled and then the cookies, of course, have to cool before you decorate.

Ugly Sweater Day / Christmas Jumper Day-I don’t usually do ugly sweaters. I do have one that I got from a thrift store for a party. But for the most part, I don’t participate in that holiday. A friend is having a July in Christmas party this year, which I am VERY excited about. Already have my pool gear ready to wear!

Christmas/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day-I love Christmas morning. It is always so special and magical, especially with small children. We have a young grandchild, and it is so much more special with her around.

Card-Playing Day-We love this game called 6 Nimmt (or Take 5) and also, we love to play “Don’t Llama Me” both are special cards and are really fun with big groups. We also play Grandma (regular card deck)

Hogmanay-I would like for my family's awkwardness and differences to burn out so that we can start behaving more like the past when we all got along a lot better.

Spice (5) flagReport

I usually buy a kit at the grocery store for the grandkids.  Last year we saw a pickup truck gingerbread kit.  Got home, it was 3 right sides and no other pieces.  Think we'll stick to another house this year.

_____

My last addition to my collection:

_____

We have always gone through toys, books, entertainment type items to donate the weekend after Thanksgiving. Things that are still in good shape but donate for someone else to enjoy.  

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

I still get a laugh that my dad taught me to play poker with m&m candies.

_____

5. Hogmanay

I think everyone is burned out from the pandemic. I am appalled at the horrible reactions some people are having over minor issues.  I'm not visiting my Mom yet because my seat mate on the plane will be the person that goes crazy and ends up being duct taped down.  Luckily Mom is aware of my bad travel luck and understands.

Spice (4) flagReport

Related Task: The best traditions we have are a Polar Express train ride, followed by a drive-thru light display, and then on Christmas Eve we attend a candlelight service at church.

_____

Related Task: 

_____

There are a lot of holidays that happen in late December. This year, Christmas is on the 25th, Boxing Day is the 26th, and Kwanzaa goes from the 26th to the 1st. There is even a Humbug Day on the 21st for people who don't like the holidays, and Eggnog day on the 24th if the holiday season hasn't already overwhelmed you with that flavor. :)

Related Task: Around here we celebrate the holiday's with parties with friends, spending time with family and going to church for Christmas services.

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Related Task: Love to play poker, started playing with my grandparents at age 5.  Also like solitaire, Gin, Spades, Uno, War.  Pretty much anything with cards I am willing to learn and play. 

_____

5. Hogmanay

Related Task: I would love to burn out the craziness and division from the last 2 years.  It is sad that we have let this divide our families and friendships.  

Spice (3) flagReport

I find that eating the architectural supplies is the best way to guarantee not being invited back to make gingerbread houses the next year...

____

No ugly Christmas sweater - have a headband with elf ears that I wear this time of year.

_____

Season's Greetings!

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Solitaire is my go to.  That and War.

_____

5. Hogmanay

I'd like to see the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol
    Spice (4) flagReport
  • Terecia5538 wrote:

5. Hogmanay

I'd like to see the Publisher's Clearing House Prize Patrol

Wow, I hadn't considered that one.  That does seem like a very auspicious beginning. :)

• 1. Bakeoff has been done, Giuseppe won, it had Christmas buns, and cool ginger bread stuff.... so that's the ginger bread done and dusted.

2. We need an Hawaiian shirt day

I would post a picture of my well worn thick fluffy fleece after chain sawing logs, with a zillion wood chips 'in' it. Complete with snow on it and steam coming off me.

3. Its one of the few times of the year, I get to read a book, with no gardening jobs etc. So cats, wood burner and something worth reading.

4. Ugh, sorry haven't played cards with anyone for years (online poker isn't really the same thing is it).

5. Always think of Jules Holland Hogmanay (https://www.joolsholland.com/feedback.htm), although a trip up to Scotland would be fun.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. Gingerbread House Day -- The last gingerbread house I helped make was about 7 years ago.  Two weeks later, when it was rock hard and ready to be thrown out, my son asked if he and his friends could take it outside and demolish it.  Their tool of choice was an airsoft gun.  Watching them blast that house apart was as much fun as making it.

2. Ugly Sweater Day -- I don't have any ugly sweaters (at least, not on purpose!)    

3. Christmas/Kwanzaa/Boxing Day -- My wife always buys special Christmas Pajamas for our son and daughter and gives them on Christmas Eve.  Even though the kids are 19 and 22, they still love their Christmas jammies!

4. Card-Playing Day -- Dutch Blitz.  A great Amish/Mennonite card game of speed.

5. Hogmanay -- COVID!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. Friends and/or family get together.
    2. Don't dress up for much except I think Halloween.
    3. I take an internal route on my way home from work. It is kind of scenic and have good houses . See people decorate their houses and front lawn it is really feel              good atmosphere.
    4. OH I love card games. I recently discovered/played "Sequence" and it is so much fun!
    5. Hmm interesting . I would say burn past 2 years but they are kind of non existent anyways lol. And for setting the tone for next year, it is mostly good people that        we know so anyone should do just fine.

Spice (4) flagReport

Fun activities:  Learning to play guitar and photography

Never got into ugly sweater day, I have enough sweaters I never wear without adding a real dog to the collection. 

A walk around Lafarge Lake in Port Coquitlam is one of our recent traditions. Cancelled last year it is running again this year so we are ready to go.

4. Card-Playing Day

I enjoy hearts, none of the family does. We either get a giant Lego project for the holiday or we do a couple of Jigsaw puzzles.

5. Hogmanay

I would like to burn all the divisions that have been introduced into society over the past 2 years. We have gone from a society of general (not perfect) acceptance of differences to "If you don't agree with me you should die" mentality.

Spice (6) flagReport

It is up to me every year to find a new holiday drink recipe.  This can be quite challenging. 

I have never been able to pull off the ugly sweater.  Instead I have a dozen or so ugly mugs for my coffee that I have collected over the years. 

Eggnog has its own holiday? This coincides perfectly with Christmas Eve.   Now there is one to celebrate! I will start with plain Eggnog and then get some Gingerbread Eggnog, Vanilla Eggnog oh my….the party you can have!

4. Card-Playing Day

I haven’t played cards in years.  Everyone got to competitive for me.

5. Hogmanay

A winning lottery ticket would be nice.  

Spice (5) flagReport
    We try to get together sometime in December to make gingerbread houses; all of the cousins work in teams and everyone votes for the best house.

Here is one of the uglier sweaters I've seen.

My favorite December Holiday is Christmas and I celebrate it all month long; I start decorating around November 1st and keep the decorations up until after January 6.

4. Card-Playing Day
    We like to play any kind of games when we get together. However, my favorite card game is not played with real cards, but virtual ones: Hearthstone.

5. Hogmanay
    Alternatively, tell us who you'd like to see on your doorstep to set the tone for the rest of the year.
    I'd like to see some members of my family; my kids, niece, sister

Spice (6) flagReport
    We don't do gingerbread houses, but soo many traditions. The Advent wreath is one of my favorites, along with Christmas Eve service, preferably at midnight. An endless stream of Christmas music should be playing throughout December. Apparently, my various shortbread cookies are also an important tradition, as a niece has requested I make several varieties for her upcoming wedding reception. (She and the groom have decided to have a cookie bar instead of a cake.)

_____
    I don't do the ugly sweater thing. Pretty sweaters, yes, ugly sweaters, no. I wish I could dress up the way my parents did when I was a child. I grew up in the 1970s, and they always had a New Year's Eve party at our home. (The kids were sent to Grandma's next door.) It was a pretty low-key party (no alcohol) but everyone dressed up. The men were in sport jackets and ties, and the women wore hostess gowns and fixed their hair up. I was always excited by the thought that I would be able to dress up for parties as a grown-up. Instead, everything went casual and nobody dresses up. 
    _____
    Christmas Eve and Christmas Day--my favorite days of the year.
    _____
    4. Card-Playing Day
    Rook and Rummy were family favorites growing up. I rarely play cards now, but Nertz was a huge hit in the extended family when the kids were in high school and college. Unfortunately, we had to ban it as my sister and her kids are far too competitive, and people were going to get hurt even after we banned rings on whatever hand you used to slap the cards down.

_____
    5. Hogmanay
    I would love to burn all social media. I feel it's a waste of time, and has driven more people apart than together. I've already cut my usage way back, and need to do more.

Spice (6) flagReport
      Never built them but volunteered to demolish them

Haven’t participated in this in years.

Going to my Grandmother’s house was always exciting!

4. Card-Playing Day
      Cards Against Humanity
      Munchkin Card Games (Specifically Ct'Hulhu)

5. Hogmanay
      I want to burn out the same thing as last year, COVID!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • 1. tell us about your own fun holiday traditions.
    I have a list of movies I watch, and in no paticular order, or some arn't even Christmas except Die hard that one is; Strange brew, Krampus, Scrooged, Die hard, Mr. Magoo Christmas Carol, A Christmas Carol w/ Jim Carrey, Jingle all the way, and Christmas vacation.
    2.  show us a pic of your favorite ugly sweater / Christmas jumper
    Sweaters are to hot (though I do wear a couple Christmas one), I prefer to get some fashion tips from Dennis Nedry of Jurassic Park and wear hawaiian shirts.
    3. tell us about some of your favorite holidays in December (even if they aren't on my list).
    Christmas eve as we go to church then afterwards people come over and we have a get together and socialize with friends and family.
    4.    tell us what card games you like to play.
    Pokemon TCG, my favorite pokemon is Gengar and I love to use ghost and psychic types   

5.  tell us something about this year that you would like to burn out and change for next year

my weight, I'd like to lose some poundage and become more active

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 1. We set up the tree and decorate and drive around and look at all the lights.

2. Here's an ugly sweater.

3. People near where I live celebrate by doing what I think are fairly common things. Caroling, setting up lights, trees, candles, etc. Attending parades and events. Most importantly connecting with loved ones.

4. Voted! We like to play Spades, Rummy, Poker, BlackJack, Kings in the Corners, and even Go Fish - among others. Card games are so fun - with the right people.

5. I would like to burn out Covid and all of the bad things that go with it.

Spice (3) flagReport

My family has a "Dirty Santa" gift exchange. You get to steal items up to 2 times before it is safe, and it gets very interesting when there are good gifts to choose from. We usually put a price limit on the items to keep it reasonable. 

I love the lead up to Christmas. So many activities, celebrations, and parties to attend. I'm typically busy with church events, family gatherings, work outings, and many other things to do. 

4. Card-Playing Day 

My family loves to play euchre. My wife recently learned a different way to play with more than 4 people that involves different ways to bid. 

5. Hogmanay 

I would really enjoy getting a visit from Ivanka Trump.

Spice (3) flagReport

December 12 is Gingerbread House Day, and it is a day dedicated to building houses and other things out of gingerbread (or graham crackers) and other edible things... mostly candy. Apparently the tradition grew out of the fairy tale "Hansel and Gretel" and the first gingerbread houses were made in Germany in the early 1800s.

Last year I tried to make the most epic one possible (read about it here), and had a great time, but not sure if I want to put in that much effort this year.

Alternatively, tell us about any other fun activity you enjoy spending time on.

I don't do anything real different or special 2 weeks off work to do whatever is nice, not really one to travel by myself though. My favorite thing to do is done for the year, ended up getting into horse riding. 

_____

Celebrated on the third Friday in December, Ugly Sweater day is the day when you get to (you guessed it) sport your favorite ugly sweater. A similar holiday is celebrated in the United Kingdom, called Christmas Jumper Day, and is a fundraising day for Save the Children. This year Christmas Jumper Day is celebrated on December 10th, and you can read more about it HERE.

Alternatively, tell us about any other holiday- or other event-themed clothing that you either enjoy wearing or wish you could pull off.

My only real event-themed clothing is a mask I got that I wrote different subnet masks on so I have a subnet mask for Haloween. 

_____

There are a lot of holidays that happen in late December. This year, Christmas is on the 25th, Boxing Day is the 26th, and Kwanzaa goes from the 26th to the 1st. There is even a Humbug Day on the 21st for people who don't like the holidays, and Eggnog day on the 24th if the holiday season hasn't already overwhelmed you with that flavor. :)

Alternatively, tell us some ways that people in your area like to celebrate the holidays.

So far besides Christmas, I think today is a good day it's National Brownie Day!!

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

This holiday apparently started in the US, although I can't find the origin story, and I don't know anyone who actually celebrates it on purpose (which is actually typical of almost all of the weird holidays I post here. They are obscure and hardly anyone knows about them... I hope I haven't been giving you the impression all this time that normal people actually celebrate things like Pancake Day, etc.). All of these holidays are just for fun, and you should feel certain that, whatever their origin, the strange holidays I post are meant for the enjoyment of all SpiceHeads everywhere. In any case, I love to play cards with my family, so I thought I would throw it in. Also, see the poll to vote for your favorite card game.

Alternatively, if you don't like to play cards, tell us some other thing you like to do with others to have an excuse to hang out with them.

I only know how to ply uno or 52 card pickup
    _____

5. Hogmanay

Translated as "Moon of the Hag," Hogmanay is celebrated in Scotland as the last day of the year, with gift-giving, get-togethers with friends, and traditional foods. In some areas they "burn out the old year" by lighting big bonfires. The first person to visit after midnight is called the "first-footer" and is said to set the luck for the rest of the year.

Related Task: tell us something about this year that you would like to burn out and change for next year.

I would like to keep working on getting better at trying new things food has always been hard for me to try new things. Or things that seem dangerous like welding, horses, driving big equipment, etc. Got over a lot of those the last few years.

I would love to find a horse at my doorstep, preferably one that is rideable... 
    Spice (2) flagReport

I have not got the patience to do that ! Especially with all that  delicious gingerbread., I would eat before the house was built. One of my favourite Christmas tradition is getting chocolate money. I know it is 'dog chocolate' but

I think we have all been getting away with ugly jumpers and tracksuit bottoms the past couple of years. I have a couple of great ones. One has lights from it and the other has a handy beer holder. Only the best from Walmart!

I used to like Boxing Day , when we only had 4 Channels in the UK as that's traditionally when the Bond Film would be on , make it a bit of an event.

4. Card-Playing Day

Being nostalgic, does anyone remember playing Top Trumps when they were at school?

5. Hogmanay

Arson? I couldn't possibly comment on my intentions!!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Lot going on here in IT-Landia - cliff notes version of this spice quest.

1. Gingerbread House Day

I don't like to waste food, I made a mashed potato mountain on my plate once - looked like something from death valley, then Ii had a close encounter with my dad's backhand and was informed not to play with my food.

_____

A boy has no ugly sweater -  Valar Morghulis

_____

I am curious of this "Humbug Day" "celebrated" on the 21st  I will have to research this further.

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Here in TEXAS we Play Texas Hold'em Poker - best know for its use in the World -series of Poker on ESPN8 - "the ocho"

Also love me some Cards Against Humanity - am excited about new expansion I got from my Spiceworks Secret Santa

_____

5. Hogmanay

This sound like every weekend on a farm somewhere in Texas - pickup trucks circled around the fire and the keg just far enough away so the trash can doesn't melt. Yee-Haww 

Merry Christmas y'all 

Spice (2) flagReport

We don't have the traditional British Christmas dinner (roast turkey) and instead just make whatever we like, last year was Mac&Cheese.

_____

This was my jumper of choice this year. 

_____

Not a proper 'holiday' so to speak, but the best one is our final day of term. It's always so festive.

_____

4. Card-Playing Day

Tabletop Simulator has really brought me back to playing cards quite a bit more. A German friend of mine has taught me some games, which have been great. Oh, and Uno, lots of Uno. Especially lovely when we can flip the table. 

_____

5. Hogmanay

Some of the pressure that I've been under lately. With everything going on in the world, changing jobs, moving house and illness - I barely feel like this year has actually gone. 

Merry December Spiceworks!

Spice (5) flagReport

Each year, I write up notes on our family--highlights, achievements, significant moments, etc. We go out to dinner and I read through the notes and then also read through the notes from a prior year. I'm sure my children will appreciate this one day. In the distant future. 

Christmas. It's my oldest daughter's first year in college so it's good to have her home.

4. Card-Playing Day

I'm typically more interested in board games but I do play Gin Rummy with my kids.

5. Hogmanay

I would like to burn out meetings and conference calls. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Completely forgot this was here. Time for the monthly infodump:

1. Gingerbread House Day

We don't go all out with Christmas traditions, but my family and I yearly put up the decorations and tree together; my dad and I do up a Nativity Scene set from the fifties; and we usually watch select Christmas specials like How the Grinch Stole Christmas!A Christmas Story, and Blackadder's Christmas Carol. Aside from that we normally see family, but COVID has put that on hold.

2. Ugly Sweater Day

I dislike the whole ugly Christmas sweater thing, as I find it honestly nonsensical. However, the closest thing I have to an ugly sweater is instead an t-shirt of the Grinch's ugly mug.

Akin to something like this, but greener and meant for adults not youth.

3. Christmas

There is only one answer to this: Christmas is my favourite holiday in December. While Boxing Day is nice for the extra day off, and New Years Eve for the half-day, Christmas is the most important day of the year for remembering Jesus' birth and His sacrifice for all of us. Forget the presents and the like, which are nice, but point to something far greater. It'd be nice if the commercialism was cut down about ten pegs around it, but that's not going to happen.

4. Card-Playing Day

I'll go with the alternate, because I don't play too many card games. I do like Gloom, though.

Anyway, as of the last few months, I've gotten more into tabletop RPGs. What's great is that I have a circle of people who I know who got me into a specific one that is quite fun, if only because it's only somewhat balanced. We play almost every Saturday through Discord and Roll20, and it's been great hanging out with them to mess around in the world that the GM created.

5. Hogmanay

There's no real answer I can give to either tasks, as I don't dwell on the past or worry about the future. The present has enough troubles already, no need to borrow from either one. I roll as best I can with the punches and move on from mistakes of the past.

Spice (3) flagReport

Not really a tradition but making molasses cookies or gingerbread then relaxing by a wood stove.

Big fan of Halloween so whatever couple costume the wife and I go with is always a fun time.

A lot of folks out here do cookie swaps. Eat cookies, drink some adult beverages and play some games. Never a bad time!

4. Card-Playing Day

Solitaire when alone, Cards Against Humanity or Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza with friends.

5. Hogmanay

General sickness could burn out. Just want all friends/family/animals to be healthy. There’s always someone you know dealing with some means of illness.

Spice (2) flagReport

Related Task: My wife and I will purchase a gingerbread house kit and never assemble it. We’ll then eat the stale cookies and candy sometime in January. Outside of visiting/videoconferencing family, we’ll watch the 2004 remake of “Dawn of the Dead”.

Related Task: I've got a pretty decent collection of sweaters but this is latest squeeze. Friggin' took like four months to arrive.

Related Task: I guess I’m a huge fan of Christmas (in the Capitalist American Excess sense). Never celebrated it growing up and only participated because of my wife. I don’t go overboard with decorating or anything, but I like the excuse it gives people to just buy stuff and stimulate the ‘murican economy.

4. Card-Playing Day

Related Task: I’m a fan of casual Magic: The Gathering, deck-building games (Dominion, Tanto Cuore, Clank!, etc.) and DrunkQuest (think Munchkin, but for people who like to drink).

5. Hogmanay

Related Task: This awful pandemic. Not in the sense of going back out into the world (my wife and I like our hermit-like lifestyle), but in the constant bickering. I don’t know how people on both sides can go so heated on this topic. I’ve literally left Discord servers and group chats because of all the “soapbox” notifications I get at 3 in the morning.

Spice (1) flagReport
    I'm not celebrating any of December holidays, But one of my favorite things that I like to do is dance!
    It sure makes the winter much warmer and free your mind when you need it.

_____
    Alternative: Although its in November and not December, I really like all the "Movember" parties where you wear different kind of weird and funny mustaches and beards.
    It can come with some nice gentleman's equipment too such kind of funny ties or funny hats.

_____
    Although I'm not celebrating any holiday at home, I really like the streets on Christmas, there is a very calm feeling in the air this time of the year.
    All the light and colors really warm your hearth.

_____
    4. Card-Playing Day
    There are a lot of card games here in the list, I want to praise a Russian card game that I've learn from some of my Russian friends,
    I called "Durak", which mean stupide or something like that, you play with all cards that are 6 or higher (including the Ace as the highest card)
    here is a good explanation with a video too:
    https://gathertogethergames.com/durak

Although you can see it in the video, There is a special suit called "Kozar", its the suit of the first car on the deck, a Kozar card can answer any other card, no matter what rank is it, as long its not a Kozar too, and then you need to answer with an higher rank Kozar.
    The player with the lowest Kozar will start and you'll play on clock direction.

_____
    5. Hogmanay
    I would like to replace the doubt in my self with a deep faith based on understanding of who I really am and what I worth.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I never really finished my assignment, so here goes :D

One fun holiday tradition my family used to do, when I was much younger, was to go to the grandparents’ house and make cookies – hundreds of cookies – and I always remember all the different kinds – and my granddad watching football with his watch in hand, timing each batch in the oven – we kids were also exempt from our 2 cookie per meal limit for the whole time we were there

New Year’s Eve is my favorite December holiday – I like to think about how midnight is being celebrated each hour throughout the night in different places around the world and think well wishes for all of them – and I like champagne

I already did my card playing answer earlier, but there’s not a card game I don’t like – at least I haven’t found one yet – Warlock (Wallachen) is still my favorite, though

I’d like to burn out everything about COVID – especially my anger with non-vaccinated people -- people are (not) gonna do what they're (not) gonna do, and it only hurts me if I'm angry about it – I’ve got to be nicer next year (I work in a hospital)

Have super fantastic wonderful memorable happy Holidays everyone! 🎄👍🎉

Spice (2) flagReport

Read these next...