Powershell to assign Outlook to handle mailto protocol

Windows 10 to Windows 11
Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

I am using Intune to set the mailto protocol to assign Microsoft Outlook to handle links with mailto.  Basically something similar to this except it would be done via Powershell script.

Does anyone have any idea how to achieve this via Powershell?  The preferred outcome is to have it set for all users in the computer, rather than one specific user of the computer, in case it is shared.

Thank you.

spicehead-kpel4
Anaheim
OP
spicehead-kpel4 This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

I found the blog below which meets exactly what I am looking for without having to resort to PowerShell:

Configure default apps using Intune - VMLabBlog.com

TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

5 Replies

· · ·
EminentX
Datil
OP
EminentX This person is a Verified Professional

Don't know how could it be done using Powershell but you can use GPO to affect all users which logs on to the computer in the domain.

· · ·
Gabe-CSX
Sonora
OP
Gabe-CSX

I would personally use group policy and DISM's app associations to assign Outlook as the handler. Here's a MS guide for that:

How to configure the default email client using Group Policy - Office 365 | Microsoft Docs

· · ·
scheff1
Datil
OP
scheff1

spicehead-kpel4 wrote:

The preferred outcome is to have it set for all users in the computer, rather than one specific user of the computer, in case it is shared.

That purpose is already described in your referenced link and does not need PowerShell. Your referenced link uses GPO for that purpose in its last section. And if it is for all users of a single computer, you could also use group policy, e.g. for a computer in a workgroup setting which is not domain joined.

• How do you want to reimplement this GPO with PowerShell and what shall be the advantage of reimplementation via PowerShell?
· · ·
spicehead-kpel4
Anaheim
OP

scheff1​it would be because it would be deployed via Intune.  Not all objects in the GPO are readily available if deployed in Intune.  Also, there are some "artificial" restrictions in the edition of Windows used.  For example, if you try to set the DNS suffix of endpoints via OMA-URI in Intune, it will not handle endpoints on Windows 10 Pro.  It only supports Windows 11 Enterprise.  With the use of Powershell script, it will be fully compatible.

· · ·
spicehead-kpel4
Anaheim
OP
Best Answer

I found the blog below which meets exactly what I am looking for without having to resort to PowerShell:

Configure default apps using Intune - VMLabBlog.com

Oops, something's wrong below.