Azure PowerShell - Cmdlets for Azure

Update AD attributes from a UKG CSV file
Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

From everything I can see, cloud computing is a fact of life, and companies like Microsoft and others are just banking it in. You have to be pretty good at hiding to avoid it. A large number of IT Pros have been, are being, and will be, facing the challenges of the cloud. There is certainly a learning curve, simple things, such as creating a VM, are similar but different.  

As a PowerShell user, you are well provided for by what is today known as 'Azure PowerShell'.  This term refers, specifically,. to the Az.* modules which Microsoft releases to the PowerShell Gallery. Ever since the first modules began to appear a decade ago, these cmdlets are a work in progress and change is more or less constant.  Breaking changes are possible, but these are well signposted - nevertheless, there are challenges.

Something I utterly love is that the cmdlets and the online./cmdlet help documentation are both open source.  That means you can read them - and fix them where/if you can! 

Why does this matter? Who cares about open sourcing cmdlets?

A great question - and for most IT Pros, it probably doesn't. But if it's 3 in the morning and you are the chief architect on a huge azure app where the cmdlets are not working, having the source code at hand can provide help (been there done it - source code can be very useful. A small use case, but still very handy for those of you at the sharp end of things.  Want to see: https://github.com/Azure/azure-powershell

Likewise, the online and cmdlet docs are also open source. And here is where all of you (that use Azure Powershell that is) can benefit - if you find  documentation that is wrong, is misleading, or even missing, you can click the appropriate button and fix it yourself. Or, you can click the button to provide feedback - which opens an issue at Github. You can track it here:https://github.com/Azure/azure-powershell/issues

A cool thing - if you are able to - you can update the docs directly yourself. If you see a really simple typo - just fix it. Note that you need access to GitHub to do this,  but if I can do it anyone can. :-)   

So - do you use Azure PowerShell? What do you like about it? What doesn't work as you might like? And what documentation can be improved? For reasons I can't currently explain, that last point is hopefully something I need to be very interested in shortly. 

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

3 Replies

· · ·
Gary M G
Tabasco
OP
Gary M G This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.
PowerShell expert
23 Best Answers
135 Helpful Votes

I’m helping manage an ASH and will be working Azure HCI as well

· · ·
seannoy2
Cayenne
OP
seannoy2 This person is a Verified Professional

Using it a lot. I must say that all the azure compliance search is extremely difficult to use and automate.
For example, in ps exchange you could search and delete mail with a single line - with azure compliance search its 25 (!!!) lines and cannot be fully automated as you can't auto-download search results, it has to be done manually in the gui using edge....

· · ·
tfl
Mace
OP
tfl This person is a Verified Professional
PowerShell expert
242 Best Answers
575 Helpful Votes
4 How-tos

@Seannoy2 = thanks for that comment. Which Specific cmdlets are you using and from which module? 

Oops, something's wrong below.