Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

We have an Exchange 2010 environment and an instance of OWA running.

I have a user who is unable to open an attachment from an old E-mail; neither of us is able to open the file, because it's supposed to be a document (either .doc or .pdf) but the name of the file is just appearing as "@".

It does not appear to have any associated format, other than "File".  When I attempt to open the document, none of the listed applications seem to work.

Has anyone else come across this issue previously?

TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

9 Replies

· · ·
GeorgeSVFC
Chipotle
OP
GeorgeSVFC This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

Have you tried renaming the file to "file.doc" or "file.pdf"?

If there is no file association, you can add one.

· · ·
spicehead-xusf9
Sonora
OP
spicehead-xusf9

GeorgeSVFC​ - thanks for your reply.  Yes, I have tried that on .doc, .docx, .pdf, .txt, .jpg, .xml, and .png.  All files open as empty.

· · ·
GeorgeSVFC
Chipotle
OP

Can the user contact the sender and ask them to send it again? I know you said it was an "old" email. How old?

Maybe it's an Excel file or Google doc or Open Office? (.xls, .gdoc, .odt)

· · ·
spicehead-xusf9
Sonora
OP
spicehead-xusf9

They would rather not do so, but the message is not particularly "that" old.  February 2021.

To their knowledge, it is a 'regular' document - i.e. Word, PDF.

· · ·
GeorgeSVFC
Chipotle
OP

Was this user ever able to open this file? It seems from what you've said that the error is on the part of the sender. We can only do so much...

· · ·
spicehead-xusf9
Sonora
OP
spicehead-xusf9

I understand.  No, the user was not able to open the file.

The file was originally accessible, however, the format appears to have changed in his Inbox, which is very strange.  I suppose he has no alternative but to request the attachment to be sent again, but I would really like to get to the bottom of this matter (if at all possible), because it is not the first time it has happened.

· · ·
GeorgeSVFC
Chipotle
OP

spicehead-xusf9 wrote:

No, the user was not able to open the file.

The file was originally accessible, however, the format appears to have changed in his Inbox, which is very strange

So, the user was able to open the file at some point? These two sentences seem to contradict each other. I find my users' definition of "accessible" to be pretty loose. He may have seen it was there and never opened it; only to find this week that a file called "@" with no extension isn't really accessible.

I would recommend to the user to save attachments to another location for future use (we get too reliant on email as a storage space). If he needs it on other devices you probably know all the options (One Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.). Is this an issue with space allocation for the account? Was the email archived? You may have a rule in Exchange that made the attachment inaccessible.

This has happened before? Have you seen an attachment opened then not able to be opened a few months later? How's your Exchange storage space?

· · ·
spicehead-xusf9
Sonora
OP
spicehead-xusf9

The user insists that they were able to view the attachment upon first receipt; I cannot validate.

If the message were presently in archive, I would be able to see that it is in an archived state; however, I would not be able to tell if he moved it into archive and then removed it.

The Exchange storage space wanes from time to time.  Although, I believe he is the only user who seems to get this issue.

· · ·
lou1sl
Jalapeno
OP
lou1sl

I think you could try migrating this user to another database to test.

Oops, something's wrong below.