Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Hi,

I am in the process of migrating on-premise AD to Azure, for the same I found out that the on-premise AD must be routable. However; our current domain is non routable (abc.local). I am planning to have it changed to abc.com. Also my company website is abc.com & Google workspace is @abc.com. 

My domain is verified in Azure Custom Domain. Will I be encountering issue with DNS pointing if I go further with the above scenario?

Thanks

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

4 Replies

· · ·
Huw3481
Mace
OP
Huw3481 This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

HD IT Solutions is an IT service provider.

I believe current advice is still to have your local domain as a subdomain, so local would be corp.abc.com.
If you just use abc.com for local, you'll end up with split-brain DNS.
· · ·
adrian_ych
Mace
OP
adrian_ych This person is a Verified Professional

There are different schools of thought for the naming of the 3 Domains
- Windows Domain (DCs etc)
- Public Domain
- Email Domain

But more commonly is not to have duplicates with their FQDN and/or user & host name. 

· · ·
user100547
Pimiento
OP
user100547

So better would be to rename domain name to abctech.com instead of abc.com and have a new custom domain abctech.com added & verified in Azure.

Thanks.

· · ·
EminentX
Datil
OP
EminentX This person is a Verified Professional

As a point please consider that after you create an Azure AD Domain Services managed domain, you can't change the DNS domain name. Choose the DNS domain name carefully when you create the managed domain. For considerations when you choose the DNS domain name, see the tutorial to create and configure an Azure AD Domain Services managed domain.

Oops, something's wrong below.