Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Hello,

I trying to architect a webserver set up for a certain event. This site will get a rapid spike of traffic around 1.5 million requests at the start of the event (ex: 00:00 UTC) and then die down after 5 minutes or so. 

Infrastructure is in AWS and I would like some pointers on how to handle traffic in this situation. I am currently using Cloudflare as CDN and am open to using Cloud Front if required.

Happy to provide more info if needed.

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

3 Replies

· · ·
adrian_ych
Mace
OP
adrian_ych This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

What is your main worry ?

To me I would find the main worry is if the application servers & DB servers can handle the load.....then lastly the cost of the servers (EC2 instances). If you are using conventional web servers instead of AWS elastic beanstalk, I would include that into the above lists of worry.

· · ·
m@ttshaw
Habanero
OP
m@ttshaw

what will the "requests" be? because 1/5 million hits is small, but 1.5 million sessions to register and perform some backend task is much more significant. either way it sounds like horizontal scaling of some sort will be required and as you expect the load then you need to test and start with enough to handle as 5 mins is too short of a period to ramp up, it will be over before it expands in time.

The next critical factor is how the site is built - if it is designed with auto provision in mind then it will be simple to expand and contract, but if manual then not.

Do you need to build this? For one offs it is often more cost effective to use an existing hosted service.

· · ·
Kelly for AWS
Jalapeno
OP
Kelly for AWS

Brand Representative for Amazon Web Services (AWS)

Hey there! Thanks for the tag. I'm checking with my team internally to see their insights on the matter. Once I have some resources available, I shall return :) 

Oops, something's wrong below.