Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Having recently commenced setting up a new iSeries partition, upgraded from v7r2 to v7r4 and no longer having an internal modem card we've downloaded and applied the current ptf's to provide 5798FAX IBM Facsimile Support for i to the system allowing for an async line to be defined that will use an ETHDEVSVR.  In this case we are attempting to use either a Digi PortServer TS 3 with it's integrated modem, or a Digi PortServer TS 4 with an external modem.

The line will vary on and go to connect pending, however with test faxes submitted to the queue the moment we start fax services with enhanced pointing to the fax device description we will receive CPDB232 with reason code E4100003 An error occurred when connecting to the Ethernet device server......which of course explains nothing.  The line will then go to rcypnd and we try again.

The digi's are set to TCP Sockets on the TS4 and Custom Profile with similar values on the TS3.  They are not prompting for login and as we are not using cat5 cable we do not have Force DCD although we've tried that scenario to see if we'd have any luck.  Have also experimented with lowering the baud rate to 14400, granted we're not getting that far in the process.

We can successfully telnet to the port on either and issuing an AT will get an Ok response.

I can certainly post screen shots of the LIND  however I'm hoping someone will just say there is an additional PTF I've missed when trying this since IBM's very basic document reports the TS 4 is a supported device.  Unfortunately we cannot just change the programs yet that still make use of faxing to just point to an e-fax solution.

Thank you for taking the time to read, looking forward to suggestions or leads to a solution.  

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

4 Replies

· · ·
JPanz
Tabasco
OP
JPanz This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

What type of communication security is being used? Upgrading to 7.4 automatically disables some TLS and SSL protocols. This may help:https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/configuring-your-ibm-i-system-secure-sockets-layer-ssltransport-la...

· · ·
DanaPinkerton
Pimiento
OP
DanaPinkerton

Good point, hadn't thought to look at that as I was of course expecting if it's just a telnet session to the Digi from the iSeries it would just run.

Will find out if the Digi units are at a back level\weaker cipher that isn't allowed, and how to set it if possible.  Or if it applies to this setup in the first place.

· · ·
DanaPinkerton
Pimiento
OP
DanaPinkerton

gave that a whirl as i found the firmware was from 2018 and there was a newer version from 2020 specifically mentioning TLS versions changing.  also found that the advanced setting for enabling Binary mode hadn't been selected.  Have verified the port and ip, can ping the device from the 400. can telnet to the port and give it modem commands from putty.....still no joy.

starting to wonder if i need to change the terminal type from the default vt100 on the digi.  the port is set to being a modem as it should be.

· · ·
DanaPinkerton
Pimiento
OP
DanaPinkerton

As a further update, with IBM support we've verified that the most likely issue is that the Digi Portserver modem is set to DSR On, and we'll need it to be on when needed instead.  Fax 400 is expecting a switched line for the Async line description, unfortunately during the Create Fax Description Wizard you are not give the option to set the LinD to non-switched.

Then of course that is a value that isn't an option to change in the LinD afterwards, and the Add Fax Card command to create the controller and device description can't just be point to a non-switched LinD....

The IBM document does have instructions for the string to be used to set a Multitech modem to not be DSR On, however the command (even though it appears generic) does not seem to have the desired effect on the Digi Modem and following a reboot is still DSR On.   

400 has zero problem communicating with the modem on a nonswitched async LinD and submitting AT commands with STRITF to dial a number work with no issue.  We're close, however stuck at the moment waiting for Digi to advise how to set DSR to not be On continuously, or for IBM to advise how to use a non-switched line with Fax400.  Unfortunately the one thing we don't have is another modem on hand....would almost be happy to see an old Penril 14.4k these days.

Oops, something's wrong below.