Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Hello All

I have received from my manager an HP disk to replace on IBM  storwize V3700 

the parameters of the disks are the same : 900GB 6GB SAS 10k rpm

But i am not sure this is a smart move.

old (Bad) disk : FRU 00y2431

New disk : HP 730703  p/n 641552-004

the bad disk is in Raid 5 formation.

Will the storage unit be able to 'speak' with the non IBM disk ? is it compatible ?

thanks for any input on this.


Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

8 Replies

· · ·
adrian_ych
Mace
OP
adrian_ych This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

Why do you want to risk a $300,000 SAN storage holding a possible $10,000,000 worth of data that generates revenue of $100.000.000 a year with a $1,000 HDD ?

The problem is with the firmware on the HDD as IBM and HP are known to have "proprietary" components that sends specific signals and data to the hardware for different faults, errors and measurements. The only fears are data corruption on the SAN, lots of false positive hardware errors or causing SAN OS issues.

2
· · ·
2300peterw
Habanero
OP
2300peterw

The trouble is that whether they are completely compatible or compatible enough is an unknown and until someone tries it you are unlikely to find out. Generally, you want to play safe with data and not take any risk. It maybe that your Manager has already had experience of doing this kind of swap and found that it works fine. If it were me I would let him know the concerns and if he says he is confident that all will be fine make the swap. 

0
· · ·
gereqi
Serrano
OP
gereqi This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

adrian_ych wrote:

Why do you want to risk a $300,000 SAN storage holding a possible $10,000,000 worth of data that generates revenue of $100.000.000 a year with a $1,000 HDD ?

The problem is with the firmware on the HDD as IBM and HP are known to have "proprietary" components that sends specific signals and data to the hardware for different faults, errors and measurements. The only fears are data corruption on the SAN, lots of false positive hardware errors or causing SAN OS issues.

+1 sharing exactly the same opinion like @adrian_ych , why do it?

Such storages 99% of the time use proprietary firmware in disks, even when exchanging a broken disk with the same brand and part nr. you risk troubles (although rare and very unlikely) just because of firmware differences...

0
· · ·
Texkonc
Mace
OP
Texkonc

I will mirror what everyone else has said, plus it is Raid5.  If by chance the array accepts the drive, the URE risk is too high.  The risks are just not in your favor.

0
· · ·
Gary D Williams
Pure Capsaicin
OP
Gary D Williams This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

Unless the disk is from IBM it won't have the IBM SAN firmware which is required for the SAN to work. The disk will be marked as invalid and won't be able to be used.

Does this array not have a support warranty?

Did the array rebuild the failed disk to a spare or does the system not have any spares?

0
· · ·
jenesis_1
Anaheim
OP
jenesis_1

Thank you all for your input on this, 

i have decided to get assistance from external support company which will replace the disk for me and not play with fire sort of speak.

there appears to be no hot spare on this array 

i have inherited this formation so most likely i will have to rethink how change this for better redundancy ...

1
· · ·
Supaplex
Ghost Chili
OP
Supaplex This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.
Data Storage expert
24 Best Answers
433 Helpful Votes

jenesis_1 wrote:

i have inherited this formation so most likely i will have to rethink how change this for better redundancy ...

I believe keeping it running RAID5 is a dangerous option https://www.starwindsoftware.com/blog/raid-5-was-great-until-high-capacity-hdds-came-into-play. As far as I know, IBM Storwize does not support online array type conversion. That means you will have to back up all the data and recreate the RAID array using a RAID6 or RAID10 scheme. One more option is to populate free slots (if any) with disks, create a new RAID array, and migrate the data expanding the new array with the disks from the previous one afterward.

1
· · ·
Gary D Williams
Pure Capsaicin
OP
Gary D Williams This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

jenesis_1 wrote:

i have decided to get assistance from external support company which will replace the disk for me and not play with fire sort of speak.

there appears to be no hot spare on this array 

i have inherited this formation so most likely i will have to rethink how change this for better redundancy ...

The spare may have been used when you had a disk failure. The risk here is that if another disk fails until you get a replacement you might lose all the data or you might have a slow SAN because it's recreating the missing data.

Is this SAN backed up?

0
Oops, something's wrong below.