Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

I'm taking my first steps in SpiceWorks to see if it will do what we need. We are not an IT company, but an AV company.

I'm trying to set up new device types in the device inventory as we deal with equipment that isn't computers, but can't find anywhere to do that. Same with 'Manufacturer'.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

4 Replies

· · ·
Rob_DemandITS
Jalapeno
OP
Rob_DemandITS

Demand ITS is an IT service provider.

If you're looking at just inventory, snipeit  Introduction (readme.io) is a open source free application that does a great thing on inventory, it won't have a discovery module however so if you're working with IoT device you're hoping to map it might not be the best choice. It supports multiple companies and so forth.

However, if you're strictly AV it's not always possible to load a scanning agent on to a customers network.

· · ·
garethday
Pimiento
OP
garethday

OK - perhaps my question wasn't clear.

I'm not looking for tools to do with scanning - I'd be entering the device details manually. Currently there's a drop-down box with a list of Device Types like Storage, Monitor, Tablet, etc. They're all IT type devices. I want to add some other Device Types, but can't find where to do that. Similarly with 'Manufacturer', for example 'Extron' isn't listed as a manufacturer and we support a lot of Extron equipment - how would I add Extron as a manufacturer I can select when logging new equipment?

· · ·
garethday
Pimiento
OP
garethday

OK, just bumping this.

I'm trying to find out how to manually create a different device type in the device inventory. It appears to be locked to what's in the drop-down menu.

· · ·
Mad-SpiceHead
Serrano
OP
Mad-SpiceHead This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

If you are using the Cloud Version it appears this is not possible right now.  I'm not sure if they will be enhancing the product to allow this, but your best bet may be to embed it somewhere in the name (i.e.  Panasonic-Display Projector).

This may be the only option for now.

Oops, something's wrong below.