Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Yesterday we swapped out a PS700 (840670Y). It's in a BladeCenter S. The planar went bad on the old one. New one is powered up, in SMS, but I don't want to screw up and lose all my existing data. I'm not familiar enough with these setups to just start clicking and typing. In the storage manager I can see the old Host Port Identifiers, so is it just a matter of adding the new Host Port Identifier as an option in storage manager?

Edit: I should have had one more cup of coffee before posting here.

The storage backend for the BladeCenter S is an IBM DS3500.  When I look at the mappings for blade in question I see the old Host Port Identifiers.  The new/replacement blade shows up under Unassociated host port identifiers.  So, my overall question is this, in order to regain access to the existing data in the new blade, do I just need to add the Host Port Identifier to the mappings for the host?

Edited Jul 9, 2021 at 11:12 UTC
TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

3 Replies

· · ·
adrian_ych
Mace
OP
adrian_ych This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

What storage are you talking about ?? SAN, eSATA, eSAS or local HDD etc ??

What did you mean by planar ? And if you mean LCD screen of the blade server...why replace the whole blade ?? Its like saying the windscreen wiper of car worn out...so change car ??

· · ·
BJ5096
Pimiento
OP
BJ5096

By planar I mean the system board. IBM and the tech referred to it as the planar. And it’s a SAN. I thought I had copied the entirety of the question I had typed out before posting to make sure what I was asking made sense.

The blade replaced was a PS700 AIX blade. The storage backend is an IBM DS3500.

· · ·
adrian_ych
Mace
OP
adrian_ych This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

planar is usually the LCD screen and/or LED buttons. System board is the mobo or mother board.

So with the connections....are you going to provide more info or do we have to go on guessing ?? Coz there are literally 10001 ways to connect to SAN depending on the OS, SAN config and/or server config or even property hardware config ?

I tot IBM/Lenovo support would cover that also ?? 

How did you used to map the drives to the ex-blade ?

Oops, something's wrong below.