Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

I had an IBM LTO5 SAS drive running under Windows 10 Pro and LTFS. Replaced with an LTO6 drive and now have the following errors:

1. LTO5 tapes read well, but drive shows error code 6 and does not write (starts, then aborts with "remove write protection" error - write protection on the cartridge is not set).

2. LTO6 tapes cannot be formatted (no activity on the drive after command in GUI or command line). 

Problem persists on different tapes, so it is not a broken tape issue. 

Cleaning did not help. 

Tried to update the LTFS software, did not help. 

Diagnostic tool (itdt.exe) just shows the same error 6, and "fragmented" when I insert a recorded LTO5. tape.

I suppose the drive may need a firmware update or there should be another software fix, but did not find proper one to run from Win10. The drive was taken from a Dell server and did not ever fail there. 

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

3 Replies

· · ·
T3hrealmccoy
Serrano
OP
T3hrealmccoy This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

I believe this would be caused by a bad or incorrect driver. I would remove any an all instances of any LTO tape drive drivers and re-install the latest. I recently had a similar issue running on windows server 2019 which was caused by drivers.

· · ·
spicehead-4i18k
Pimiento
OP
spicehead-4i18k

Thanks for an idea! 

I only have Microsoft driver and don't see how to remove it (only can remove device, but after rescan it comes back with the same driver:

For LTFS support I use IBM Spectrum Archive Single Drive Edition 2.4. IBM site offers only ver. 2.2 and 2.4.

Could it be a wrong LTO driver by Microsoft (and another one from IBM needed)? I have no idea how to find one for Win10Pro, IBM site only offers server versions that don't run on desktop version OS.

· · ·
spicehead-4i18k
Pimiento
OP
spicehead-4i18k

Default LTO drivers in Windows are from Microsoft. Tried to install IBM drivers, but they are all for server OS. Direct installation from Device manager places the driver to Windows, but device is shown faulty. Had to remove these drivers and then Microsoft drivers came back. 

Oops, something's wrong below.