Home
Join

26 Replies

  • I guess it really depends on what you are doing, how much money you have and/or what you been trained on.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • There's no real answer to this question in terms of which is the 'best'. The operating system is a tool, and each does things well that the others don't, and there's also a preference. A Ratcheting screwdriver will take a screw out just as well as a traditional screwdriver they just do it in a slightly different manner

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Linux for personal use because it's not tracking me like windows tries to be default or coercing me to buy everything for the "eco system" like mac.
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I agree this depends on what you are doing or the users are doing.  Also what people are comfortable with.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • For an endpoint workstation/laptop a Mac wins by miles in my opinion. This assumes that school or wherever you are using it (primarily) provides support.

    For a server OS, Linux wins.

    At home I have a small herd of Raspberry Pi's (3b and a bunch pf 4's) that have multiple Docker instances of Linux and Kubernetes bare metal hosts running.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • The correct answer is "whatever is best for the requirements".  Don't try to shoehorn a solution into a platform or vice versa.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Linux     It sounds best when you say it with a Finnish accent.

    This thread is pretty troll....

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Too many variables to give a meaningful answer. You need to set out a scenario to focus the responses. For instance you mention schoolwork and some in some countries such as USA Chromebooks and the Google environment are popular (I am assuming this is in your Linux category) but for a business that has a traditional Windows environment then Chromebooks would only have limited application. I happily use Linux but recognise my preferences cannot be imposed on others.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Gaming and work: Windows

    Home use: Mac OS or Windows

    School: Windows. Macs are pricey for students. Chromebooks are great and all but not up to par with Windows.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ron3608 wrote:

    What do you think is the best overall?

    Sorry, couldn't find your definition of best in that context as there are so many. May you please clarify?

    And don't forget to read the field guides for pos(t)ing good questions, including the helpful references found at the bottom of their web pages. They remind you that you'll get the same quality of answers as the question. So the correct answer to your question isn't listed. Two decades ago, a colleague told me, the best operating system is Plan 9. I didn't understand why and couldn't find it on your list.

    There exists obviously only one best answer: It depends. And that answer isn't on your list neither. It depends on your definition of best and on your usage scenario resp. use case.

    And I didn't understand your question as I didn't understand to which edition and which version of Windows, Linux and Mac you were referring. There exist various versions of Windows.

    And if you include Windows CE, it may support many more hardware platforms than and version of Windows Pro, more than Mac and still fewer than Linux or BSD. Or have you ever seen Windows running on a mainframe (other than in a guest VM) or on a watch? Or try booting Windows of Mac on a RaspberryPI Zero or a RaspberryPI Pico.

    And if your use case includes energy harvesting for a sensor network, all your proposals are unfit as they consume too much energy.

    Or there are dictatorship governments who can confirm you that at least with recent versions of the named operating systems Linux is the best option as it is easier to customize for surveying the own people without sharing with a company of a 3rd country.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ron3608 wrote:

    ....anything from security to gaming to schoolwork....

    What do you mean by security ? There is no security in all of the OS.

    Then gaming to schoolwork ? It depends on what games and what platform the school is using ? 

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Horses for courses.

    Macs used to have the edge for "creative" stuff, but these days Windows has for the most part caught up and in some cases overtaken.

    Linux is good for web servers etc.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Well...trick question really. I PREFER Linux at home cause after a full day of dealing with Windows problems, when I get home I want my computer to just work. However at WORK I don't really have a choice and I suspect that most don't, whether windows is the best OS for the job your going to be forced to use it anyway.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Like others have said: there's no hard and fast 'best'. There are features that each offer that can be compelling in different use cases:

    For me:

    Central management, availability of support tools, and hardware variety: Windows

    Processor variety, configuration, resource requirements: Linux

    Consolidated hardware: MacOS

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • "Best" is relative, it all depends on your use case.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • What is best for you, is not best for me :)

    Generally Windows is more widespread and has a large apps base. However this also means more attacks and insecurity, apart from licensing costs.

    Mac is great but very pricey. Very stable because they know the hardware where it runs. Very secure because is based on Linux/Unix roots.

    Linux is superb and cheap, however to work with specific apps or exchange files sometimes gets tedious because of proprietary file formats mostly targeting the largest market share on workstations (desktops/laptops etc.) which Windows holds.

    If you can afford Windows license and need Linux too, just go with Windows 10 and Linux subsystem, best of both worlds for most needs.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • gereqi wrote:

    If you can afford Windows license and need Linux too, just go with Windows 10 and Linux subsystem, best of both worlds for most needs.

    Windows sub-system for Linux (WSL) does still not compare to a full Linux deployment. So I guess that having separate Windows and Linux VM should be a better choice. But I agree that there exist some use cases where WSL is already sufficient. I have one use case where I use it regularly.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'm a hardcore Mac user. Stuck on Windows for work. Ugh.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • As others have said, the correct answer is whichever OS supports the things you need to do on your computer.  For me, my daily driver is a Fedora 34 laptop.  However, for work, I'm on a Windows 10 device, since doing my sysadmin work in a Windows environment is significantly easier for me to do on said device.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Why not pencils and paper??

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Mac, Linux, Windows... where is the BSD option?

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Isn't the Mac OS descended from BSD and thus they are distant relatives? Whilst BSD is an option and it can be used as a home PC, last time I tried it, admittedly years ago, it was limited compared with Linux Distros and my guess is that it hasn't got enough of a user and developer base to progress at the rate that Linux has. Hence it will not have many, if any, voters.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I prefer MAC because for me the interface is more intuitive, also since I support Windows based servers and desktops, I need a computer that will still be working when all the Windows systems are crashing due to yet another bad update.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • 2300peterw wrote:

    Hence it will not have many, if any, voters.

    One of my teammates would disagree with you. He is running Ghost BSD on his working laptop. It does look pretty modern, actually. I had an impression there is some cult or sect that keeps running BSD-based operating systems on desktops.

    Actually, I was just joking :-)

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Supaplex wrote:

    I had an impression there is some cult or sect that keeps running BSD-based operating systems on desktops.

    BSD systems might be more common in appliances than on desktops or notebooks. And some solutions implemented in BSD are very wide-spread in many operating systems and appliances. Even the network stack of Linux was initially coming of BSD. The first versions of Linux didn't have a network stack at all. If I remember right, it were the guys of BSD386 which ported their network stack to Linux. I know it came of BSD and was released in Linux after about a quarter (of a year).

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down

Read these next...