Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

Hi there everyone,

As title is not informative enough, basically I used to use Spiceworks years ago and a previous employment and loved it back then, now that I'm back into IT again and now work in a large datacenter would like to implement Spiceworks however a lot has changed since last here 

Datacentre Comprises mainly of the following 

Dell Servers, Netgear and Cisco Switches, Jupiter , fpSense, Proxmox, Hyper-v 2019 and the usually extras 

So advise would be appreciated on moving forward as am not a fan of Observium 

TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

11 Replies

· · ·
Derek Q
Serrano
OP
Derek Q This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

Well Spiceworks now does the basic old install on premise, a new on premise virtual server, and the handy stripped down Cloud Help Desk, they also do a Cloud Inventory.  I myself moved from onpremise to Cloud, it was handy for our users and was all hosted offsite.  But functionality is less with cloud.  Welcome back to tech!

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

Thanks been awhile , left IT in 2012 due to Redundancies but had a hotel I own to fall back on but due to covid, decided to start work again 

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

I'm sure back in the day, but I may be wrong but Spiceworks detects info from motherboard like serial number and any amber warning light issues , as where I am working now a few servers have the amber warning and Observium says nothing about it so hoping Spiceworks will give better details etc 

· · ·
scheff1
Datil
OP
scheff1

Gh0stW0rks wrote:

I used to use Spiceworks years ago and a previous employment and loved it back then, now that I'm back into IT again and now work in a large datacenter would like to implement Spiceworks however a lot has changed since last here 

Welcome back to Spiceworks and its community.

• Did you delete your former Spiceworks account, loose access to your former account or do you still have access?

If you didn't delete your former Spiceworks account, you may request to merge your former account with this new one.

• And do you have authority to introduce and implement Spiceworks at your new job?

You should take a closer look at the currently available and supported Spiceworks editions. Depending on the purpose of that data center, I doubt that you have such authority. But as I don't know further context, you'll need to check compatibility with business purposes yourself.

Gh0stW0rks wrote:

I may be wrong but Spiceworks detects info from motherboard like serial number and any amber warning light issues , as where I am working now a few servers have the amber warning and Observium says nothing about it so hoping Spiceworks will give better details etc

No, Spiceworks doesn't read from the motherboard. But yes, some editions and components of Spiceworks may read such infos on some platforms, especially Windows platforms with appropriate configuration. It uses Windows WMI for finding such info, not directly accessing the motherboard. Not sure, if some Spiceworks agents are using the same access method. On other platforms, Spiceworks may access less details.

The Windows edition of Spiceworks is legacy and available for download only unto the end of THIS month. It will reach EOL (end of life) by end of this year. It provides most details and is most customizable for inventory. Support has already being reduced and will continue to decline unto reaching EOL. If you need inventory, then the sole alternative of Spiceworks is the public cloud help desk edition (CHD) which has also an inventory component. For providing such details, you'll need to install its agent on every host or VM of your data center. This agent doesn't support Linux. And if such a setup is compatible with your organisations business purposes, you'll need to check yourself.

If it is not compatible with business purposes, you may check if limiting yourself to the help desk component of the CHD edition or the on-premise Spiceworks help desk server (HDS) edition are suitable. It doesn't give you those details and might be better aligned with business purposes of your data center.

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

My former account will still be active but no access to original email etc 

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

I have be authorised to do a Spiceworks project to show its implementation on site preferable in-house VM machine 

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

This is one of my posts I did from my original account https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/491-webproxy-linux

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

The Windows edition of Spiceworks is legacy and available for download only unto the end of THIS month. It will reach EOL (end of life) by end of this year. It provides most details and is most customizable for inventory. Support has already being reduced and will continue to decline unto reaching EOL. If you need inventory, then the sole alternative of Spiceworks is the public cloud help desk edition (CHD) which has also an inventory component. For providing such details, you'll need to install its agent on every host or VM of your data center. This agent doesn't support Linux. And if such a setup is compatible with your organisations business purposes, you'll need to check yourself.

If it is not compatible with business purposes, you may check if limiting yourself to the help desk component of the CHD edition or the on-premise Spiceworks help desk server (HDS) edition are suitable. It doesn't give you those details and might be better aligned with business purposes of your data center.

Does Hyper-V version of HDS have inventory etc since the Windows version ( Spiceworks.exe ) is soon to be EOL , we have a Helpdesk in place already but if it works out with inventory etc then may sell itself 

· · ·
scheff1
Datil
OP
scheff1

Gh0stW0rks wrote:

Does Hyper-V version of HDS have inventory etc since the Windows version ( Spiceworks.exe ) is soon to be EOL , we have a Helpdesk in place already but if it works out with inventory etc then may sell itself 

No, it doesn't have an inventory component, neither its implementation via Hyper-V nor its native implementation in Ubuntu. And according to the referenced EOL announcement, this will not change before next year if ever. As another Spicehead has expressed it already, the announcements included on HDS are counterproductive to the aims initially announced with first release of HDS. With the limited development resources available, it is understandable to lower priorities for the HDS port. But it is contested and questionable if it shall have such far reaching implications and decisions already now as published in that announcement. We will see around end of this year. I fear that the decisions published will lead to some selffulfilling prophecy to the disadvantage of that edition.

· · ·
Gh0stW0rks
Pimiento
OP
Gh0stW0rks

Thats a shame, forcing to use cloud version for inventory 

· · ·
scheff1
Datil
OP
scheff1

Gh0stW0rks wrote:

Thats a shame, forcing to use cloud version for inventory 

Who forces you so?

Spiceworks doesn't. It has not yet decided if it will port the inventory component to HDS. And if you don't want to wait until Spiceworks decide, you may use 3rd party solutions. There exist cloud based 3rd party solutions and on-premise 3rd party solutions. The only on-premise inventory solution of Spiceworks will reach EOL by end of this year and at the beginning of next month, there will be no on-premise solution made available by Spiceworks. Spiceworks promised you that it will not have available any on-premise solution at the beginning of next year as they promised that they will not decide on the future of HDS before end of this year. And as long as that future is not decided, they will not decide neither if they even start porting the inventory component to HDS resp. on-premise. So what prevents you in choosing a 3rd party on-premise solution, regardless if it comes with help desk or not? Or to which force are you referencing if I misunderstood you?

Oops, something's wrong below.