Any Disk eraser that boots onto ram?

If given the option, do you prefer open sourced solutions?
Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

I'm looking to use a live usb that boots into a disk eraser that fully loads on to the ram.(So I can remove the usb) It seems that dban did this, however doesn't have support for SSD's or the UEF type interface. I would be happy to use nwipe if I could load it into ram. Any input is appreciated.

2300peterw
Habanero
OP
2300peterw

I have such a USB stick that does this. I use a Puppy Linux (BionicPup32) on a USB stick which loads into RAM which will boot on either MBR or UEFI and either 64 or 32 bit PC. It has nwipe.

You can create the USB stick manually or if you have a running Puppy has BootFlash programme in the menu to make such a USB stick.

https://puppylinux.com/download.html

For SSDs it is quicker, easier and safer to just set a password and forget it. See: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

TEST YOUR SMARTS
Which of the following retains the information it's storing when the system power is turned off?
  • ROM
  • CPU
  • RAM
  • GPU
88% of IT pros got this right.

7 Replies

· · ·
2300peterw
Habanero
OP
Best Answer
2300peterw

I have such a USB stick that does this. I use a Puppy Linux (BionicPup32) on a USB stick which loads into RAM which will boot on either MBR or UEFI and either 64 or 32 bit PC. It has nwipe.

You can create the USB stick manually or if you have a running Puppy has BootFlash programme in the menu to make such a USB stick.

https://puppylinux.com/download.html

For SSDs it is quicker, easier and safer to just set a password and forget it. See: https://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/ATA_Secure_Erase

· · ·
Gorfmaster1
Habanero
OP
Gorfmaster1 This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

I have used Kill Disk that way before. I am not sure if they support SSD's though. I have also used Parted Magic, once you get it going, you can usually pull the USB Stick.

· · ·
Milerky2
Thai Pepper
OP
Milerky2 This person is a Verified Professional

Why can't you just load something like Ultimate Boot CD?  or Hiren's?  I use Hiren's to clone drives, even to SSD.

· · ·
windtucker
Anaheim
OP
windtucker This person is a Verified Professional

I have a lab or two to get done, and only two flash drives, the machines also tend not to have disk drives

· · ·
Supaplex
Habanero
OP
Supaplex This person is a Verified Professional

You don't need special tools for that purpose. Any small Linux distribution has a DD tool built-in which does the job of wiping disks just fine.

BASH
dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sdX bs=1M *replace X with the target drive letter.

To avoid using USB, try running a network PXE boot.

· · ·
2300peterw
Habanero
OP
2300peterw

Supaplex, dd commands work well but with nwipe you can take screenshots to show that you have wiped the drive and it is a graphical interface and hence less likely to go wrong. It also shows progress. so depending on your needs it is good.

When you have Puppy as a frugal installation on a USB stick the first time you power off you get the option to create a  save file which can be encrypted if you want. If you go to the Puppy Package Manager you can easily install nwipe which will be stored in that save file for future use.  

· · ·
Supaplex
Habanero
OP
Supaplex This person is a Verified Professional
Thank you for sharing more details about your approach, Peter.
Since I don't care about screenshots and any other evidence, I usually try to automate everything and leave it overnight. That said, PXE boot a bunch of laptops (20-30), start some small Linux (Porteus, Slitaz, Puppy, Tinycore, you name it) that automatically does DD (several times) and shutdowns when finished. Coming back in the morning, I can start giving out wiped laptops to colleagues wanting to purchase them right away.
Oops, something's wrong below.