Get answers from your peers along with millions of IT pros who visit Spiceworks.
Join Now

I had an old Apple ProBook 160 (1993)- Dead, and no longer booting. 

It had a 240mb hard drive, Apple IMB DHAS-2270, SCSI-1 (although the pins look identical to IDE) There's a bit of personal information on this drive that I would like to see if i could recover. 

I've browsed around on google but have seen nothing definitive on how to connect to it. All of the SCSI-1 adapters I've seen don't look like they can fit this HDD. 

Any suggestions?

Spiceworks Help Desk

The help desk software for IT. Free.

Track users' IT needs, easily, and with only the features you need.

3 Replies

· · ·
Da_Schmoo
Mace
OP
Da_Schmoo This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

That's a "fast SCSI" drive.  Tons of controllers available on ebay for that.  The kink is it's a laptop drive so it gets its power through the same cable as data.

What you need is this:

http://www.cablesonline.com/25lapscsihar.html 

And a 50-pin Fast SCSI host bus adapter with the proper bus interface for the computer you are going to plug it into (PCI, ISA, etc.) and a 50-pin SCSI cable.

All that's assuming the drive isn't dead dead.

Finding a card that has drivers for the OS you are using may be a challenge as well. 

Edited Jul 20, 2020 at 21:17 UTC
· · ·
ITSchmoo
Sonora
OP
ITSchmoo

Thank you sir! Yeah the next challenge will be to get a PCI card, and its drivers... this all is hinging on, like you say, that the drive isn't already dead.

I was also looking at an old vintage CasaBlanca SCSI external hard drive case for macintosh on ebay as well... but this seems more likely the way I should go

· · ·
Da_Schmoo
Mace
OP
Da_Schmoo This person is a Verified Professional
This person is a verified professional.
Verify your account to enable IT peers to see that you are a professional.

Drivers are going to be your challenge.  The Adaptec 2940 was the go-to card of that era.  (not the 2940u2w - that won't work with that drive)

I know people have gotten them to work in later operating systems by using drivers for other models - you'll have to do some digging to find which ones.

This topic has been locked by an administrator and is no longer open for commenting.

To continue this discussion, please ask a new question.