Home
Join
check
  • We've had tons of calls with this issue today. Looks like a problem with Office update from last night. Have had success with Office update rollback

In CMD from folder  \Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

Run: officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

Spice (52) flagReport
    43 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

74 Replies

• We've had tons of calls with this issue today. Looks like a problem with Office update from last night. Have had success with Office update rollback

In CMD from folder  \Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun

Run: officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

Spice (52) flagReport
      43 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Thanks!  Let me try that.

Spice (4) flagReport
      Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • Microsoft just posted this.

Users experiencing Outlook connection issues and crashes
      EX218604, Exchange Online, Last updated: July 15, 2020 11:22 AM
      Start time: July 15, 2020 11:18 AM
      Status
      Investigating
      User impact
      Users may experience crashes or may be unable to access Exchange Online via Outlook.

User Impact: Users may experience crashes or may be unable to access Exchange Online via Outlook. Current status: We're investigating a potential issue in which users may experience crashes or may be unable to access Exchange Online via Outlook. We'll provide an update in 30 minutes.

Spice (4) flagReport
      3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Thanks.  They must have posted after I checked.

I do have one Outlook 2019 non-O365, non-ExchangeOnline with the issue as well.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Yep, we're seeing this too (specifically the third option, Outlook crashes within seconds of being opened).  Every user experiencing it is on Version 2006 (Build 13001.20384).  I'm trying the rollback mentioned above, but in the meantime affected users are using OWA.  We're using on-prem Exchange 2016, but one of our external sales staff is having the exact same issue with a normal Office 365 hosted account so environment doesn't seem to matter.

Spice (2) flagReport
    • Confirmed rollback command worked for me on one client.  Thank you

Spice (2) flagReport
      1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Confirmed as well - rollback works on the 2 I've applied it to.

Rude Microsoft, very rude.

Spice (10) flagReport
    • Smitty74,  I am trying to work through this as well.  Can you provide a link to the Microsoft article that you referenced above? Thank you.

Spice (2) flagReport
    • spicehead-dpggt​ I am seeing it in our Microsoft 365 admin center in the Service health section.

I just ran the office update on my own computer and now I have version 2002 (Build 12527.20880 Click-to-Run) and no issues with it so far. I figured I better try before our users got updated and had issues. 

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Having the same issue on O365 the rollback worked great on a couple of machines. I would also like a link to the Microsoft Article if possible?

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Here is the link, for those asking

https://admin.microsoft.com/adminportal/home#/servicehealth?message=EX218604

And here as well
      Spice (2) flagReport
    • In case it's helpful, here's a topic on /sysadmin (reddit) with some more info:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/hrq0mn/outlook_immediately_crashing_on_open_after/

Thanks to Bagaudin (Acronis)​ for pointing this out!

Spice (7) flagReport
      2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Been panicking over this issue for hours. Glad this hit breaking news so I was notified

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Kifu gets the credit.

I fixed a few different scenarios
      Windows 10 and Office Home and Business 2016 - Hosted godaddy microsoft office 365
      and
      Windows 10 and Office Home and Business 2019 - Hosted direct microsoft office 365
      and
      Windows 10 and Office 365 Business - Hosted Sherweb microsoft office 365

start
      run or in the white box or just type cmd
      right click command prompt   - run as administrator
      cd \Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun
      officec2rclient.exe /update user updatetoversion=16.0.12827.20470

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Only had one user experience this so far, thanks for posting!

Spice (3) flagReport
    • We have Office 2016 via OWA and are having the same issue. I just got at least five tickets about it in the last half hour. I sent an all staff email out advising everyone to not run the update until I find a fix, as the online quick repair did not resolve the issue.

I will try these solutions on the few that ran the update and are having issues. Thank you for posting. Especially since Microsoft Support sites are useless when it comes to helping resolve this stuff.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • I have had 4 different O365 clients have this happen got this off Reddit

used the powershell cmd works great now

download and use this powershell script and roll back to monthly channel 20470

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/office/Script-for-Update-or-8fb223bd

Spice (3) flagReport
    • I created a .bat file for this on 

https://github.com/dbeato/scripts/blob/master/Office%20365/Fix-Outlook-Restart.bat

Spice (6) flagReport
      5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Kifu's Office update rollback command worked for my two calls so far.

Thanks man!

Spice (3) flagReport
    • Just logged in to check my SW feed while impatiently waiting for my account to sign in on a remote PC with this exact issue.  Glad I decided to check SW.

Spice (3) flagReport
    • dbeato wrote:

I created a .bat file for this on 

https://github.com/dbeato/scripts/blob/master/Office%20365/Fix-Outlook-Restart.bat

This is perfect. Thank you so much for sharing.

Spice (2) flagReport
    • Thank you so much for this! Rollback worked perfect. 

Spice (2) flagReport
    • TY Kifu​ You just saved me a few hours.  I owe you a $drinkOfYourChoice.

• local_offer Tagged Items
      • KifuKifu
      Spice (2) flagReport
    • Smitty,

Where do you go to get these bulletins from MS for specific issues like this?  And did they post any updates to fix the problem properly without a rollback?

Rolling back isn't working for me.

Chris

Spice (1) flagReport
    • 25 Users so far already affected on my end.  The rollback worked great!  Thank you!

• This fix worked for my end user. Thanks, Kifu

• KifuKifu
    • command prompt run these;

cd “\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun”

then

• Dontworryok wrote:

command prompt run these;

cd “\Program Files\Common Files\microsoft shared\ClickToRun”

then

Thanks but that info has already been posted here and is marked as best answer.

• Yup, just received my first (and only) report so far right before lunch and have spent the last 1.5 hours troubleshooting.  I knew I should have started with SW first!!  Will be trying the roll-back tomorrow before the end user gets in to see if it resolves, assuming M$ hasn't applied the fix they're promising in the latest Service Health incident notification before then.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Latest update from MS in the M365 admin center:

https://admin.microsoft.com/AdminPortal/Home#/servicehealth?view=Incidents

Start time: July 15, 2020 9:18 AM
      User impact:  Users may experience crashes or may be unable to access Exchange Online via Outlook.

Title: Users experiencing Outlook connection issues and crashes User Impact: Users may experience crashes or may be unable to access Exchange Online viaOutlook.
      More info: Our analysis indicates that Outlook on the web and mobile clients are unaffected. Users may be able to leverage those protocols as an alternative means to access email and service features while we remediate this problem.
      Current status: We've identified the probable cause of the issue and are applying fixes. We've confirmed that our fixes are effective and users will experience service restoration as our solution reaches their respective environments; however, deployment to all affected users may take several hours to complete.
      Scope of impact: This issue may potentially affect any of your users attempting to use Outlook.
      Next update by: Wednesday, July 15, 2020, 12:30 PM (7:30 PM UTC)
      [edit--fixed some formatting]

• Thank you Kifu & fellow Spiceheads!  I've been going crazy in the office and my church where I do volunteer IT support.  Awesome sauce!

• KifuKifu
      Spice (1) flagReport
    • THANK YOU!!! 

I had exactly ONE user experiencing this.  Just ran the script for her and it fixed it.  This is what's REALLY odd...she is filling in at the receptionists desk, so she's on a different computer than normal. If she tried to run Outlook, it just closed on her.

Not knowing of this issue, we rebooted machine with no help.  Still broke.  So I set her up a RDP link so she could just work off her normal PC remotely.  Outlook opened and immediately closed there too.

Then she went up to her office, launched Outlook from her PC and Outlook worked fine.  So that's bizzare...via an RDP session from an affected computer, a working computer displayed the same symptoms!

And, as I was typing this, a second user just called with Outlook issues.  His was actually throwing an error.  Script ran, Outlook works fine now.

• I used Kifu's rollback command in the CMD prompt and It fixed the issue I was having. Thanks Kifu! 

I knew there was a reason I joined Spiceworks :)

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Confirmed roll back worked for us too.

Thank you.

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Confirmed this works.  Supposedly they have the issue fixed, but I'm leery to try it right now.
    • We just started having this issue at noon. I wish all issues were this easy to fix.

• You guys ROCK!!

• The 'link' is actually something inside of your O365 Admin center.

Start time: July 15, 2020 8:18 AM

The EX is the article number.  GL.

• Of course now that we applied the rollback, Microsoft has posted that they have a fix that they are rolling out in the next few hours.

• Looks like Spiceworks has gained at least SEVEN new members on this discussion alone.  WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!  Stick around, this place is one of the best places for IT folks to collaborate.  :)

• Worked for me. Made a batch, fixed several users so far.

• Anyway that fix could be pushed through for AAD users?

• Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • This works, just finished trying it on three machines. All Windows 10. Two office 2016 and one office 2019

• User had this issue outlook opening the closing a few seconds later repair/reinstall did no good. Ran CCleaner the PC health check, the cleaner and registry cleaner. Ran windows defender scan rebooted. Then it worked fine.

• Same here.  Random users.  My husband said his clients are experiencing issues, as well.

• The O365 Admin Center has the listing of advisories and incidents.  This is classified as an incident.

• Didn't find this post until now, but all of our users are working again as normal. I had about 10 users total. I guess Micro$oft fixed the issue.

Read these next...