Home
Join

19 Replies

• I thinkou can just google for HDMI splitters as I think most screens use HDMI nowadays.

0 of 1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Thanks for your reply.

Yeah I've seen a few online. I suppose I should have placed emphasis on the word 'decent'. I don't want to recommend something unreliable. Need a professional grade model.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Also, I'm looking for Docks in particular because I'm not too convinced a HDMI 'splitter' will be able to extend the displays of the laptop.

Won't the laptop just treat the HDMI as one signal? All the splitter will do is mirror the same signal and split across the 4 screens?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I don't know of any that will do this over anything other than USB-C or Thunderbolt. That's going to be the issue here, I think.

That said, Targus has a USB-C dock that supports 4 monitors:

https://us.targus.com/products/usb-c-universal-quad-hd-docking-station-dock520usz

Otherwise if you were to get a docking station that supports MST, you could use an MST hub and some DP/HDMI adapters.

https://www.startech.com/AV/display-and-video-adapters/Displayport-Adapters/mst-hub-displayport~MSTD...

Spice (2) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Do you know what the screens are?, it might be that they are DP as well and if they were the right ones, you can daisy chain them together.

4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • In addition, what brand Laptop? Some having docking stations, Lenovo comes to mind, which allows for 4 monitors. Targus makes a wonder universal Dock, but it is pretty spendy. ($250 or so on eBay). I think the models is  DOCK520USZ but dont hold me to that. 

• Startech has some dock options as well as splitters and USB video adapters.  Have generally had pretty good luck with their products.

https://www.startech.com/

https://tripplite.com/products/audio-video-digital-signage-multi-viewers~2-837

Spice (1) flagReport
  • DisplayPort has much better capabilities than HDMI in many ways, but especially in this regard.

• If you don't know the laptop and don't know the screens, you're probably going to run into a problem.

Docking stations / USB video adapters have resolution limitations, HDCP limitations, and sometimes refresh rate limitations.

In an ideal world the laptop would have DP-out, and the monitors would all be able to daisy-chain via DP. Or slightly less ideal would be a USB-C docking station with DP-out and daisy-chained DP monitors.

But I've never seen a single docking station be able to handle more than 2 monitors - even then they are at reduced resolutions.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Moikerz wrote:

If you don't know the laptop and don't know the screens, you're probably going to run into a problem.

Docking stations / USB video adapters have resolution limitations, HDCP limitations, and sometimes refresh rate limitations.

In an ideal world the laptop would have DP-out, and the monitors would all be able to daisy-chain via DP. Or slightly less ideal would be a USB-C docking station with DP-out and daisy-chained DP monitors.

But I've never seen a single docking station be able to handle more than 2 monitors - even then they are at reduced resolutions.

Totally understand where you are coming from and thanks for the advice. This was an out-of-the-blue request from someone. I've asked for model of laptop and what monitors but figured I'd try and get ahead of the game whilst I'm waiting. Hopefully I'll know more soon.

• CoreyN wrote:

Startech has some dock options as well as splitters and USB video adapters.  Have generally had pretty good luck with their products.

https://www.startech.com/

https://tripplite.com/products/audio-video-digital-signage-multi-viewers~2-837

When I was searching, Startech didn't have any docks that support more than 3 monitors.

• HDMI splitters are fine for presenting the same content on multiple screens, such as digital signage, but if they want a single desktop spanning four displays, where each screen shows different content, a splitter does not work.

• In order to support four separate screens, the laptop will need video hardware capable of handling that, such as a gaming laptop. DisplayPort 1.2 can daisy chain up to four displays at 1080p, but that doesn't mean the laptop can drive them, and most probably cannot.

HDMI is basically a DVI port with sound, and does not support daisy chaining at all.

• To run that many monitors, you many need to use USB to HDMI adaptors.

I've used them before and found the refresh rate to be a bit 'laggy', compared to the native HDMI connection.

• We have a plugable multi-display adapter that has easily added a 3rd monitor via USB adapter.  I see no reason why adding a 4th wouldn't work with it.   Model is UGA-3000

• I've used StarTech adapters for this in the past.  

I have not used this model in particular, but here is a USB to dual HDMI adapter.

https://smile.amazon.com/USB-Dual-HDMI-Adapter-External/dp/B0725K1MHH/ref=sr_1_14?crid=3KPVAOLCGWS11...

• Another option may be an External GPU Enclosure with a video card supporting 4 displays. This doesn't fit your requirement if the laptop only has USB 3.0 ports, but may work if the laptop has a compatible Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) connection. Definitely a more pricey option. The least expensive solution is probably a couple of USB 3.0 to dual HDMI adapters, or a port replicator supporting 3 displays (using the built-in HDMI for the 4th monitor). We've had good experiences with the StarTech port replicators.

• Dell D600 USB Docks can run 3 x4k displays and work on USB 3 type A or Type C. Can be found for around £160 on Amazon.

Be careful what you ask of it though 4k play back on all screens or editing large images etc. will more than likely over load your laptop. For desktop use and web browsing I have not had problems but CAD hurts ;) worse than running on the IGP directly on the laptop screen not even considering not using discreet graphics.

• I am currently using a Dell Thunderbolt Dock (wd19TB), with 4 monitors, 5 if I have the laptop lid open. However the set up I have are two Display Ports, and two USB-VGA adapters, these adapters are at least 3 years old. I have acquired new ones, and set them up the same, but .  Not sure if there is something in the new hardware that is preventing the use of only two monitors. but if you got some old USB-VGA adapters laying around. test it out.

Read these next...