Home
Join

73 Replies

• Most of our users can read and follow simple instructions ~75% of the time, but there are a few that cannot follow the simplest instruction and refuse to read anything. 

I'm actually somewhat impressed with how smoothly our white collar teams transitioned to WFH... There were of course some outliers, but considering our users outnumber our helpdesk by ~300x it wasn't too bad. 

Spice (8) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • HUMOUR?!

Spice (9) flagReport
    3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • It actually hurt reading your post. It makes you wonder how you can even trust them to do their job... Not our problem though.

Spice (10) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • This make me think of the old days in remote support for <redacted>...

Home users are worse.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • I have goo and bad "direction following" users.  Most are pretty goo but the ones that aren't are, well, just aren't.

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • As bad at that was, I have a few users that if I would be wishing for it to be that easy if I had to walk them through something like that over the phone.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • There was a comment made in a management meeting that people (usually the attorneys) just delete emails from IT because if they have a question they can call.  And even though they are using the EXACT set up that has been in place for 2 years suddenly it's all different since they have to WTH.  Sigh. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • This pretty much sums up the new daily norm for many of us on Spiceworks. Not all of our users though, just many. Too many.  IT should be issued a disposable concrete block with a "Bang Head Here" sticker in the center. When we break it from over use, we should get shipped a new one. Save the furniture.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • I need to vote for 1 and 2. Some can follow directions. Some need to be held by the hand nearly daily, even with the instructions in front of them. *sigh* Today seems pretty quiet though. Hope I didn't just jinx it. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Fortunately for me, most of my users are pretty good at following instructions. Actually, it is fortunate for most of us that they are pretty competent--several of them are doctors.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Had to do this simplified picture for one client.

Spice (39) flagReport
    16 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • dimforest wrote:

HUMOUR?!

Brit abroad? 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Huw3481 wrote:

Had to do this simplified picture for one client.

Very nice. I saved it for future use.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • I have come to the conclusion that the problem is that people just don't read what it says on the screen. It is incredible how thick people can be. If they just looked on the screen they could work it out, but some people have to be handheld every step of the way and it's really not that difficult. The number of people who battle to remember their email passwords is a whole nother story!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Having worked in many different types of industries.. makes quite a difference to that poll.   When I worked for a small non-profit, they were so helpless and terrible at following directions, I had very busy and frustrating job there.   When I worked for a publishing company, it was heaven sent they were awesome at reading instructions. It also sharpened my documentation skills because we had a ton of editors and writers in the office who were very critical of writing errors.  At a winery it was pretty bad, I think I just had to edge them in the right direction and then it would all come back to them (hiccup).  I worked for an Australian tech company too and helping people on the phones was pretty much useless since we could hardly understand them, so documentation became a critical piece of information and they did quite well at it.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Here you go...

Spice (8) flagReport
  • That hit way to close to every day for me . 

I actually put 
    Step 1
    step 2 
    in my instructions and they still get it wrong .
    Ahh Job Security !! 
    Spice (6) flagReport
  • Most of my users can follow instructions.  One, though, a terminal case of hand-holding required to accomplish many tasks.  Worse yet, he insists on singing Barry Manilow or Elvis songs while he is on the phone with me.  When he speaks, it's at 100 mph, and in every direction at once.  If not for the fact that he is extremely good at his job, I am not sure he would have one.  Probably a good thing that most of his job entails talking, not hours of PC usage.  A chore to work with, humorous as all get-out, and a guaranteed job to support him.  :)

Spice (3) flagReport
  • What is wrong with the virtual production network?

(no kidding, a senior project manager yuckity yuck referred to above during a high-level meeting)

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Huw3481 wrote:

dimforest wrote:

HUMOUR?!

Brit abroad? 

Nope. Born United States American. I just have a personal preference for the British-English spelling on that word. I also don't assume that anything Americans (including myself) produce, be it words, ideas, or products is automatically "better".

Spice (8) flagReport
    3 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Spice (2) flagReport
  • Michael588854 wrote:

That hit way to close to every day for me . 
    I actually put 
    Step 1
    step 2 
    in my instructions and they still get in wrong .
    Ahh Job Security !! 

I have a 9 step instructional PDF document with pictures for visual aids and my direct contact information listed and highlighted at the bottom of it. This had been placed prominently in the middle of the desktop area for each user of every laptop I have had to hand out in the last 3 weeks.

Under that is a shortcut to the individual user's Remote Desktop connection that has been saved for them with domain/username filled in and is pointed to their specific desktop. The desktop has been set to allow remote access for that user only, so other domain users can't accidentally kick them off of their own unit if they somehow erase the Remote Desktop shortcut info and "guess" incorrectly at what computer name they need to connect to.

Saved to the left of the Remote Desktop shortcut is the VPN program shortcut which is already programmed to connect to the peer.

Each user picking up a laptop was mandated to log in while in front of me and was walked through all of the shortcuts and the instructional document. Then I run through a "trial" connection so they could see it the first time (and I could input the VPN password for the first run). This also insured that they saw it was working as expected and confirmed it connected to "their" computer (which usually had something on it they left open and hadn't bothered to save)...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I removed every icon from the desktop except the RDP icon and the instruction sheet. I created a desktop wall paper in MS Paint using large letters telling to click the instructions, and an arrow pointing to where the instruction doc should be. I still get phone calls.

For those of you using RDP, did you update your Password Expiration warning emails to include instructions for changing your password on the server (Ctrl+Alt+End for those who don't know)? If you did, do you still get phone calls from users who are now locked out due to an expired password? 3 to 4 a week for me, and I only have ~150 users.

Spice (3) flagReport
    4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • WiseOldelf wrote:

Huw3481 wrote:

Feel free. That goes for anyone else who would find it useful.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • This sits too close to home it's scary.. It was like i was there!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Smh. And these people probably make more than us. 

Spice (9) flagReport
  • I felt real pain in this story. Like most I've got a few good users, but the ones who need hand holding at my employer need EXTRA hand holding. With the WFH transition we've got our Inside Sales team using Solarwinds to access their work devices. Solarwinds has an option to add printers from home, thankfully once you set it up once, the printer remains there. We had one user cut us off mid conversation of helping him setup the printer and go, "You know what, I'm just gonna send it over to my neighbor and have them print it out." I'm pretty sure my jaw fell and hit the floor.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I got asked what was IT like. I said

(1) "You earn a  lot of money you can't spend because you are always working or getting woke up to fix something so when you have time you just want to do soemthing hassle free and takes no thinking.

(2) You learn to fake smile and practice the ungodliest amount of patience over every third sentence you speak.

(3) You find yourself speaking to people like you are hosting a kids show or the guest on Sesame Street.

(4) When talking with a new person you think of the absolute stupidest thing a person could do and start there with your trouble shooting.

(5) Sales always gets all the glory. You feel like the janitor 1 hour after prom. Just cleaning up after a bunch of kids.

(6) Instead of "Get Off My Lawn" Its "Get Off My Network"

(7) Anyone finds out your in IT and they want you to fix all kinds of things. Garage door opener, Easy Bake Oven, Exercise Bike.

(8) Anytime you get invited over anywhere it always seems someone wants you to look at something. Whether it is their cell phone or garbage disposal.

(9) Whatever we say people never listen. If we email it they never read it. But then when it happens they mysteriously never got you message or heard you speak.

(10) ER Surgeons get more breaks.

My friend just stared at me in disbelief. He thought we sit behind desks, once  a blue moon restart something and make fat cash while we work on our highest scores.

Spice (13) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • hah - I've had a couple who couldn't follow the simple instructions I had written and PRINTED for them. Despite saying "RTFI" - read the f instructions ... ;)

We're using our own home laptops to connect to RDS (we connect to the same server in the office, so it's not much of a stretch)

I had to help 2 configure additional monitors - it took longer to get one to download the remote control software than it did to fix her screens.

and one remote user emailed me to complain that the response on the server was too slow - 20 second to open a reply for an email. We had 9 live remote users at that point and one or two in the office - so no load on the server, I checked it, it was fine ... turned out it was the users connection - 1.5Mbps shared between 3 users ... and I was still asked if I could kick off the idle users on the server as "it can't hurt" .... erm ... no, I'm not going to do that when it's clearly your connection that's the issue!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Haha, thanks for the laugh! I would say that most of our users are pretty good at following directions and are extremely grateful when instructional videos/tutorials are provided. There seems to be a pretty strong correlation, though, between the rank of the individual and their ability to follow directions. Basically, the fancier their title, the more they ignore written and video instructions and call and make me walk them through the entire tutorial that was provided. You did a wonderful job given the circumstances!

• Andrew_F wrote:

hah - I've had a couple who couldn't follow the simple instructions I had written and PRINTED for them. Despite saying "RTFI" - read the f instructions ... ;)

We're using our own home laptops to connect to RDS (we connect to the same server in the office, so it's not much of a stretch)

I had to help 2 configure additional monitors - it took longer to get one to download the remote control software than it did to fix her screens.

and one remote user emailed me to complain that the response on the server was too slow - 20 second to open a reply for an email. We had 9 live remote users at that point and one or two in the office - so no load on the server, I checked it, it was fine ... turned out it was the users connection - 1.5Mbps shared between 3 users ... and I was still asked if I could kick off the idle users on the server as "it can't hurt" .... erm ... no, I'm not going to do that when it's clearly your connection that's the issue!

Spice (5) flagReport
  • We had a remote user trying to use a VOIP phone and a VPN from a wireless hotspot in a remote rural area with bad service.

Every time this user got disconnected, multiple people would ask what we are going to do to fix it.

We explain that no, we cannot improve cell service in the woods.
    Every time, without exception, they ask "Surely there must be SOMETHING you can do."
    Sure, give me the money and I'll run 26 miles of fiber or build a cell tower.
    No? Ok then.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • did a support call yesterday were the user couldn't figure out why there wireless headset wouldn't work at home but works perfectly in the office.

turns out they were to lazy to take the base station that plugs into the laptop.  

Spice (5) flagReport
  • It is an age old problem

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Bill2718 wrote:

We had a remote user trying to use a VOIP phone and a VPN from a wireless hotspot in a remote rural area with bad service.

Every time this user got disconnected, multiple people would ask what we are going to do to fix it.

We explain that no, we cannot improve cell service in the woods.
    Every time, without exception, they ask "Surely there must be SOMETHING you can do."
    Sure, give me the money and I'll run 26 miles of fiber or build a cell tower.
    No? Ok then.

One of my users is in the boonies. She has issues with email attachment downloads and general connection issues while on WFH. I ran a quick speedtest..... 2Mb down and 1.6Mb up... I asked her what she should be getting and she had no idea.

This actually prompted her to call her ISP and learn she was getting shafted with a $60-a-month bill for 2Mb current speed. Yes, she was getting what she paid for... unfortunately. They arranged for an upgrade to 20Mb download (and she forgot what upload speed) and her bill will drop $12 a month. The ISP won't come out until April 13th (I'm almost surprised they will send someone out that soon). Until then... she now understands why it takes several minutes to download a 18MB document.

I also told her to download the files to her local drive while not on the VPN and THEN transfer them to the appropriate folder on our network share afterwards. Outlook really doesn't like the VPN. MS Office refuses to see the cloud-based server when the VPN is on. If we get the user to open Outlook client BEFORE they start the VPN, it works until they are done (so long as they don't accidentally close Outlook while the VPN is still on). Pretty sure that's a Windows 10/MS Office bug. I think she was trying to save directly from the web-based login to the network share.

It was... uncooperative.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Ahhhhh the good old days.  First thing I would do is send a diagram to them on how to setup their equipment. I still got questions.  The funny thing is awhile ago I had to get a new ASA and this diagram was with the new ASA.  Someone stole my work! lol

• The OP must have been hiding in my old office when I had pretty much same conversation witn some of my old workplace users.

Still gives me nightmares.

Though on occasion had to swap laptops for upgrade etc and trying to get the users to let go of (forget - not hard in some cases)  the old info re wireless colour light (was orange on old model, blue on new ) was equally as painful. the confusion was almost tangible.

Do miss it. just not things like this but comes with the territory..

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Why are hardware switches still a thing? What possible use would any laptop user have for a physical switch that basically turns it into a thing that doesn't work?

Spice (4) flagReport
    1 of 2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Daily/hourly occurrence in some of my previous jobs.

Grin and bear it, sorry I can't be more helpful.

• Most of my users are pretty well trained, I always try to make a point of showing them how to do things "so they don't have to wait for me next time" there are just a few who can't or won't try to help themselves - mostly living in the "it's not my job" camp - good job I don't adopt the same attitude when they need help using the software that they use for their jobs!

• Yeah we have a lot of users that are not used to working from home....I am in week three of working from home and the last two weeks were mass panic trying to get people online but its getting better now.

It seems that in some of our offices people were given a laptop, some instructions and then a push out the door to go home so they can try and learn on their own. So it's been a lot of walking people through it and reminding they have to do this every morning.

The REAL fun ones are after 20 minutes they come to the conclusion their Internet at home is down....even though you ASKED them to open up a browser and go to a couple of sites to confirm the Internet is working.

• See your first mistake was you didn't print it out for them and then have them print it out 5 more times (to the wrong printer) before they do a dry run without your help using the instructions. They you need holy water to cleanse their aura and the evil spirits living within the device. You also needed to go to their house and do all their work for them and then they would have got it right. jeez

• I'd be laughing at this if I haven't almost the same type of calls.

• The thing that gets me is the lack of deductive reasoning skills. 

Your WiFi works at the coffeehouse, but doesn't work at the hotel--and you're concluding that the problem is the computer I gave you?

Spice (6) flagReport
  • WiseOldelf wrote:

Huw3481 wrote:

As have I!

• That is very similar to conversations I've had. We have a wide range, some employees read instructions, follow them, and need very little assistance, to those who can't follow the simplest instructions, with pics, diagrams, and brevity. Can't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions on the heel, as the saying goes. We have one group individuals in the same department that we used to refer to as the Bermuda Triangle, as they always need help with the simplest of tasks, and don't submit many tickets for issues, but when you are there, we get the "Oh, while you're here, can you when with this, and I've had trouble with this, and this and this". From about 3 people at  the same time. So a simple 15 minute task can turn into several hours of being there. We now refer to the area as the black hole, as you get pulled in and are there all morning. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • This is great

• MrG3 wrote:

I got asked what was IT like. I said

(1) "You earn a  lot of money you can't spend because you are always working or getting woke up to fix something so when you have time you just want to do soemthing hassle free and takes no thinking.

(2) You learn to fake smile and practice the ungodliest amount of patience over every third sentence you speak.

(3) You find yourself speaking to people like you are hosting a kids show or the guest on Sesame Street.

(4) When talking with a new person you think of the absolute stupidest thing a person could do and start there with your trouble shooting.

(5) Sales always gets all the glory. You feel like the janitor 1 hour after prom. Just cleaning up after a bunch of kids.

(6) Instead of "Get Off My Lawn" Its "Get Off My Network"

(7) Anyone finds out your in IT and they want you to fix all kinds of things. Garage door opener, Easy Bake Oven, Exercise Bike.

(8) Anytime you get invited over anywhere it always seems someone wants you to look at something. Whether it is their cell phone or garbage disposal.

(9) Whatever we say people never listen. If we email it they never read it. But then when it happens they mysteriously never got you message or heard you speak.

(10) ER Surgeons get more breaks.

My friend just stared at me in disbelief. He thought we sit behind desks, once  a blue moon restart something and make fat cash while we work on our highest scores.

Number 7... So true.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • For the most part our users are good with instructions. It can be hard for me to explain to them that their home internet connection may not be up to the task because they hide their 8 year old Linksys router in their damp dungeony basement and only pay for a 6Mbps pipe however. All the while their children- who are also stuck at home- are streaming to their hearts content and sucking down bandwidth like a Yoohoo (kids still drink that stuff?). I don't fault them though. For many of them this is their first time working from home and who am I to tell them they need to revamp their home network and pay for more bandwidth?  

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...