Home
Join

88 Replies

• I work at a large health care company.  It is a matter of life and death that are patients get treatment, most are 3x week.  More and more of us at corporate locations are being told to work from home.  I expect tomorrow it will become mandatory for everyone who can work from home, to work from home.

Spice (7) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Unfortunately manufacturing doesn't really work from home....

Spice (31) flagReport
  • Brad2013 wrote:

Unfortunately manufacturing doesn't really work from home....

Same here. Only selected employees can work from home.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Private college.  In the last two weeks, we've radically changed the way we do an INCREDIBLE amount of things. 

Spice (9) flagReport
  • A mixture of options.

Single site clients.  If people need to self-isolate, then they will have to WFH.  If the business has to close premises, then all will WFH.
    Multi site clients.  If people need to self-isolate, then they will have to WFH. If the business has to close one site, then people have the choice of WFH or hotdesk at another site. If all sites are closed, then all will WFH.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We've been running a few drills lately where key people are being removed from teams and told to work from home for the day or just told to be uncontactable. It tests if technically we can manage it - do we have enough laptops/citrix licenses? Does citrix allow them to work normally? - but also tests the chain of command and whether the people who fill in can make important decisions and manage teams.

From an IT perspective it's gone pretty well, but i'm not looking forward to it if it becomes a real problem with larger numbers of people out!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Most can, working towards all can here.

Having pretty much everything in Microsoft 365 / Azure makes it much easier, just some challenges with Shoretel.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Key individuals and functions have been identified and plans in place for them to work from home, with a longer term plan to add others if necessary depending on timescales/duration of restrictions

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We rolled out laptops with VPN and RDP for users that might need to work from home.  If the population gets sent home, we can still work from the office, according to local guidelines.  Or we may be sent home so there can be a deep cleansing of the facility.  
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • My answer is not....yet. I'm also working with my colleagues to ensure they have remote access if needed so work can be done from home if worst comes to worst. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • we can no longer shake hands..........thats all we have done.

Spice (10) flagReport
  • Most of our business is dealing with customers on the phone so there is no option for most people to work from home.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Our "Official" communications from the top have been like this in the last week and a half:

EMAIL 1: "It's probably nothing but we're aware of it."

EMAIL 2: "It's probably nothing but we're aware of it and we have a plan, just in case."

EMAIL 3: "It's probably nothing but we are prepared."

EMAIL 4: "WTF ARE YOU GUYS DOING COMING INTO THE BLEEPING OFFICE GO HOME HOLY CRAP HAVE YOU SEEN THE DAMN NEWS?!?!"

Spice (28) flagReport
  • I'm part of the management discussions.  We are an industrial services company, so the "work from home" only works for the administrative crowd.  What better way to instill confidence in the rank and file then shuttering the offices.  We have to take it seriously though because the virus is here (Cleveland, OH) and the state has already taken actions that affect us (eg - trade shows cancelled, bans on gatherings of 100+ people, school closings).  Some people will need to work from home, others will be unable to work because they can't get childcare.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • 18 person non-profit. We're closing the next two weeks. About 3 of us will make periodic trips in, accounting to handle mail and deposits, me to change tapes and external backup hard drives and our data guy who'll come in just to get away from his kids.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • We are a dermatology practice, so we could shut down in a pinch as long as we continued to provide certain cancer-related treatments in-office. That is the plan we are developing. We need to keep some critical functions operational but aside from the radiation and a couple of other specific treatments, we can close the office and run those critical functions remotely with adequate setup. That's what I am testing out this week.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Today basically was stated that we'll work from home if at all possible, while still retaining one individual on-site to provide support if needed. So it's partial planning, and part of the company working from home then. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Was ordered yesterday. only a couple of people on each team at main site and DR site. Everyone else works from home. They are very specific, no cross contamination. This means I can't go to the office to get something or reboot my computer. They can't order us to stay away from each other outside of work but that is preferred.

Expected time frame is 2.5 weeks to six months or more. Really there is no end date for now.

I expect things to get back to normal when testing is widely available and people feel like they will be able to get medical treatment effectively.

That said, I now get the opportunity to set up my home office and be in luxury.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • In general a lot of our employees are 100% remote, as I am .  Last week we instituted a lock-down on our data centers to only required personnel, who work in round the clock shifts.  All other personnel work remotely now, this includes any executives who might have offices in the DCs.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • We are currently evaluating our work from home options.

We have literally taken each department and evaluated who could and could not work from home.  Then we have broken the work from home possibilities and broken down what they need access to and how we provide that.

Thankfully we are largely, but not completely cloud based.   So outside of our ERP and phone system, we are set.

The phone system is already set to e-mail voicemails, so we have a mix of people who can respond to voicemails from home, and those that will need their phones forwarded.

Our VPN hardware is fully up to the task.

Our ERP is a little tougher, we have the capacity for many to work from home, but will need to expand on that to maximize our WFH capabilities.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We had a meeting about this yesterday and we were told if you or your family gets sick then you have to work from home in isolation for 14 days.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I'm the IT manager for a food wholesaler, so work from home is a difficult thing for our management team to consider.  Our warehouse staff can't exactly work from home, so there is the argument about fairness, which I certainly understand.  A not small piece of my job is supporting warehouse staff to keep the tech they use working, which means if they need to be in so do I.   We are also getting hammered with orders because of all the panic buying...Since we all know that if you get stuck at home you need to make sure you have 50 cans of tomatoes on hand, seriously we have sold more canned tomatoes in the last 3 weeks than in the previous 6 months 

That said, I have been busily setting up spare notebooks for office staff that are on desktops to take home and have upped our VPN capacity with more licensing.  Be as prepared as we can with the tools and budget we have right?

Spice (6) flagReport
  • we're a retail store. Either we're open, or we're closed. Work from home isn't really a thing.

Spice (7) flagReport
  • We're all still working in the office but we have contingency plans should we need get everyone remote.  Fortunately for us, we are using 365 and 99% of our users would have access to everything they need if we did have to make the change.  

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I'll work from home...it's called the weekend. I'll be back on Monday.

Do I need to set my out of office for that?

Seriously though, we're manufacturing. Work from home isn't a thing for us. Keep hand washing and good separation practices and this too shall pass.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Where I am now nothing is being said.
    But I interviewed at a place the other day and they are working from home and had me do video chat for the interview.
    Spice (2) flagReport
  • We're buying Chromebooks and USB headsets (for soft phones).  This will be fine to RDP in, if worse comes to worst.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We have VPN for all of our users with Laptops but we are also trying to setup Apache Guacamole so end users with a home pc and internet can connect to their workstations.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Optional for all employees. 

We're preparing for a shutdown as part of our contingency/DR/BC plan. 

Untill that happens, all procedures have been tested, and business as usual. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • The option that applies to my company isn't on there :(

Yes some are but some aren't .... basically we are as a company working in 2 teams as the nature of working in IT retail industry we still need physical people in the business whilst other dept such as purchasing / IT /Sales etc can work remotely but we are splitting the teams so the volume of people in the office is far less.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • We just got the word yesterday about Voluntary WFH. We are not providing any extra equipment(monitors/docking stations) so we still have a decent amount of people in the office. Our employees travel domestically and internationally quite a bit but we already got things in the works for them to do their workshops virtually.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We're meeting today to discuss plans for 30 school districts we service. Lots of moving parts in getting tens of thousands of students digital curriculum to their home!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • No one that wasn't already working from home is working from home yet. We are as ready as we can be for it, but we are a mixed bag. Some of our people can work from home with no issue, others it's not possible as a product of their job.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • CEO was just telling me 3 days ago "Nobody will be talking about this next month. It's all hype".

Since then, we had started doing a mandatory cleaning break, moved people around to provide more separation, and started discussing what we might have to do down the line.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We've basically been told unless several of us drop dead, there is no chance since they 'don't believe in work from home'

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Not everyone here can work from home. But most - 97% can. 

Of course the reason they can WFH is because of me. Just had to say that. Cause no one here will.

This is a great article, well done,  https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

Spice (2) flagReport
  • It's easy for in-house IT to work from home since we all have laptops, but the majority of our employees use desktop PCs and thin clients. And since we don't allow RDP connections unless it's a work supplied laptop or Surface, most employees are out of luck.

We do have a limited number of laptops we can loan out but not even close to enough to give everybody one, it's going to be very interesting to see how the next few weeks play out.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • None of the options really fit our current situation. As of this morning shortly before we had an IRT meeting about the pandemic I was told to pack up and be out of the building ASAP. I've been exiled from all locations and will be working remotely until further notice. Wasn't optional but so far is just myself. A few others who can work remotely may be getting the same orders Monday.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • The college just announced they're extending spring break an extra week to give faculty time to move to online only courses. No word yet on what that means for staff. 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Being an MSP and the office is in my house, I guess you could say I'm WFH. My other employee can work from her house. We have been working with our clients getting them setup to support end users at home. Getting end users setup with Splashtop to connect to work computers

Spice (2) flagReport
  • At Splashtop, we are eating our own dog food....using Splashtop Business Access to support employees working from home for a week already.  It's been working very well... I'm working from home right now :)   We are seeing our sales expanding fast in the past week as many are preparing for WFH and business continuity.   We see remote access tool as a faster and better and cheaper alternative to RDP over VPN https://www.splashtop.com/rdp-vpn-alternative, fully embracing BYOD and allowing employees to use their own devices from anywhere.   Besides Splashtop, we use MS Teams, Zoom, and various cloud apps (Salesforce) and VoIP.   People seem to be very productive....

Spice (5) flagReport
  • We've closed all our offices globally. About half our users are home based anyway, so all the infrastructure was already there, but it's a real test to have everyone wfh.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • John5152 wrote:

Most can, working towards all can here.

Having pretty much everything in Microsoft 365 / Azure makes it much easier, just some challenges with Shoretel.

That's pretty much what we're doing. All staff use company supplied laptops with Cisco AnyConnect VPN and the Mite//Shoretel mobile app.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I saw earlier today where Citrix was offering temporary licenses to carry those that now need to work from home during this.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • But I tell you what, Purell, TP makers, Clorox wipes, ALL  Their employees and family and friends are working non-stop pumping all that out so the panicked doomsday preppers can clear the shelfs.

Toilet paper? Come on. All those empty shelves across all those countries....

Some dirty butts out there...

Spice (3) flagReport
  • We just about to get staff working from home as from Monday, the management team are going to review each day. UK

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Minimal contact so the vast majority of the org will WFH.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Distribution requires 'boots on the ground'.  So, only a limited number couldactually work from home.  As of right now, nobody is. 
    Could most of our IT team do so?  Sure.  The key is most, and I'm not a fan of leaving a man behind.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Aside from being on-call or having a specific off-hours task, Working from home during regular hours is actually forbidden where I work. They cite workers' comp insurance concerns--such as if a staffer injures themself while working at home after stepping on a Lego.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • The organization is considering to make employees work from home. certain departments just cannot work from home therefore most of them are under strict personal protective equipment to make them protected to a certain level and are educated to apply self hygiene at all times.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...