Home
Join

51 Replies

• MSRA command- built into Windows, we use it for most remote sessions (backed up by Windows QuickAssist if user not otherwise connectable)

Spice (6) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Check out Connectwise Control, aka ScreenConnect. By far the best remote software I've used. Good luck!

Spice (10) flagReport
  • I have used BomGar and I really liked it. Where I am now, we use LogMeIN. This also has some great features and fits into the budget very well. It also allows for some patching and task related duties, depending on the package you opt for.

• Please give Splashtop Remote Support a free test drive.  Splashtop is well known for its performance, reliability, solid customer support, and cost effectiveness.  You will enjoy significant cost saving with Splashtop.  Over 60k MSPs / ITs have migrated to Splashtop.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I can highly recommend AnyDesk if you're on a tight budget or Connectwise Control that costs a bit more but gives you a remote command line.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We use GoverLAN in our environment.

• Teamviewer ? Get the Enterprise licensing ?

Spice (4) flagReport
  • We use Configuration Manager Remote Control which comes as part of System Center Configuration Manager. It requires no input from end users to connect as long as you know the host-name (which can be selected from a list).

Config Manager does a whole lot more than just Screen Sharing, such as Windows & App deployment, Update Management, Device Management, Endpoint Protection etc. It sounds like your environment is large enough to warrant looking into it if you haven't already. Food for thought.

Spice (5) flagReport
    2 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • +1 for GoverLAN. It is awesome and very handy to use.

• Splashtop - you can configure a client to have to grant you access and optionally still connect after that. Works extremely well, pricing is very reasonable, switched to it from TeamViewer (horrifically expensive), and LMI (pricy, flaky & unreliable).
    Spice (1) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • ScreenConnect

We used TV for years and Screenconnect was like a breath of fresh air.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • We use Solarwinds TakeControl (formerly MSPAnywhere, formerly BeAnywhere). They have options for both unattanded access and user initiated sessions.

They provided good enough documentation that it passed the sniff test for the IT department of one of our customers to permit it's use on a computer we supply for their surveillance system on premise.

• ConnectWise Control (formerly ScreenConnect) using Access Agents would be the way to go.  The Access Only license is dirt cheap.  I've used it for years and brought it into multiple companies and they all have fell in love with it.  We ditched Bomgar and GotomyPC for it

https://www.connectwise.com/Software/Control/Remote-Access/Pricing

Spice (5) flagReport
  • We also use ConnectWise for remote control, along with additional features. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Logmein Rescue here, it is expensive, but it is impressively reliable.  Interacts with UAC properly when the user isn't an admin (send your credentials, they just okay/yes the prompts) and you can interact with UAC without them being admins, a lot of remote access tools fail in this regard.  It also does reboot to safe mode with networking which is a life saver.  Also lets you capture user credentials for rebooting without keeping them on the phone, and without you having to know the password.  Only thing that annoys me personally is I can't run the admin client on a Linux machine, so when I work from home I end up booting a VM just for that, Teamviewer does support Linux and also supports UAC/non-admin clients, so I'd give them a plus on that one, but haven't used the paid for product extensively to comment on reliability.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • TeamViewer is easy to use as well as configure.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • For anyone else replying, or who has applied and might amend their comments, it would probably help the OP if you know if the product solution provides supporting cyber security polices that it practices, or any kind of 3rd party cyber security certifications it holds. There's a lot of great solutions out there with many features, but it sounds like cyber security is a concern "asked me to look into alternatives because he's concerned UVNC is a potential security risk and our clients are going to get tetchy in our audits".

This was one of the things that we based our decision on for a solution because we are an MSP like company with many computers on customer sites that we support. It can be a great solution, but they don't all provide supporting cyber security documentation. At least last time I checked, which was a few years ago.

• GoToAssist Expert works really well. The end user has to give you permission the first time they're invited to a remote session (unless your admins install the service themselves), but after that, it works nearly seamlessly. As long as their system is on and connected to the Internet, you can remote in. Pricing is pretty decent too. 

• PK1984 wrote:

My boss asked me to look into alternatives because he's concerned UVNC is a potential security risk and our clients are going to get tetchy in our audits.

If you don't' mind me asking, what are the concerns with VNC? We use it ourselves, so if there is a documented flaw we'd love to know about it. Has it failed an audit?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I like Goverlan a lot for this, it allows remote access and remote pushing of software installs.

• Mn25 wrote:

PK1984 wrote:

My boss asked me to look into alternatives because he's concerned UVNC is a potential security risk and our clients are going to get tetchy in our audits.

If you don't' mind me asking, what are the concerns with VNC? We use it ourselves, so if there is a documented flaw we'd love to know about it. Has it failed an audit?

Our security team found the VNC client exe was granting authenticated users full control over it while running as local system, providing an opportunity for malicious programs to control it.  They blocked all VNC clients in our network.  I know Kaspersky also found like 22 vulnerabilities recently in UltraVNC

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Not sure what sort of compliance needs that you have that need to be met but a lowbrow solution that works is Google Chromes Remote Desktop extension.  It does the job, but may not be the right fit seeing as how you would have to have a google account created to achieve this and have that account signed into the Chrome browser on the machine initiating the remote session, i.e., your machine.  The plus' are that it is easy to setup and being a google product, it just works.  Oh yeah, and it is free.

• Teamviewer is my best choice. Centrally managed with strategies. Install teamviewer host on each pc for unattended Access.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • And add one more for ScreenConnect .

The funniest thing last week, we sent the URL to connect to a customer to use on her laptop. Instead, she clicked on it, and next thing you knew, we were connected to her Apple iPhone [gee, that's the tallest windows 10 with a weird touch screen skin on it I've ever seen].

Point being, ScreenConnect works for almost every remote device [Windows, Linux, Mac, iPhones, Android, etc].

Spice (3) flagReport
  • We've got through several and are currently happy with Remote Utilities: https://www.remoteutilities.com/

It's not freeware, is AD integrated, can support 2FA, and enables remote patch management and software installs as well as remote desktop support.

We found the price was pretty reasonable as well as it's licensed per concurrent tech and, at least with the pro license, unlimited Windows client devices plus iOS and Android mobile devices.

• local_offer Tagged Items
    • PK1984PK1984
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Can you control IOS and Android devices from it ?

• Ken2256 wrote:

Can you control IOS and Android devices from it ?

There is no remote control solution that can 'Control" iOS.   Apple doesn't allow such.  Only remote view of iOS in an attended mode.... where user needing help could share his/her screen to remote technician.  

For Android, as long as it's Android 5.x and up, remote view capability is there.  For remote control, this requires integration with priviledged API.  Samsung Knox for example provides a facility to do this.  LG and others would require digital signing of the Android agent.   As an example, Splashtop has gone through Android control integration work with Samsung, LG, Lenovo, Zebra, Sonim, Honeywell, Panasonic, Bluebird, Cipherlab, etc. to support Android remote control of their devices.  But since Android is very fragmented, it's difficult to support them all... also, different devices have different screen resolution/aspect ratio etc which present engineering challenge.

Splashtop On-Demand Support (SOS) Unlimited offers remote control of unlimited attended and unattended endpoints (Windows, MAC, Linux, Android, and iOS* view-only) for $399 per concurrent tech per year.   Spiceheads get 20% discount so $319 per concurrent tech per year with unlimited endpoints.   Please do give it a free test drive.

• Mn25​ His biggest concern is the freeware version of it. We're a law firm so security and compliance are a big part of our day to day. There's an assumption that a company making enterprise software has more incentive to be responsive to changes in the security landscape and keep up to date on vulnerabilities. It's not any particular flaw or vulnerability with UVNC but more our concerns with it remaining up to date as things change.

• Mn25Mn25
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • Many thanks to everyone who has responded! I'm going to review a number of these and make a suggestion or three to my boss. 

• We are transition from Teamviewer to GoverLAN. We do not consider Teamviewer to be secure enough.

• Another vote for ConnectWise (ScreenConnect)

ConnectWise​ ScreenConnect

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I like to use RealVNC for personal use. It's smooth, has encryption and you can setup 2FA. The free version only lets you setup 5 computers after that you have to pay and I think there are a couple of tiers you can pay for.

• I used to use teamviewer but then they went subscription  swtiched everything to https://one.comodo.com/ works great they even have a teamviewer like app which you can download for once off machines, works great.

Ken

• Comodo works for me

• Used Screen connect on Prem which at the time was about 600 bucks then issues with windows 10 and UNC the upgrade was crazy expensive so moved.

• I was logged into a MAC device using teamviewer today in Irvine CA

• Hi PK1984

Wayk Now could be a great choice for you. Wayk Now is an easy to use, flexible and lightweight remote desktop solution that offers unattended access with the enterprise version. You even have access to a free 30 day trial to see if it fits your needs! It's simple, secure and enterprise ready. Don't hesitate if you have other questions. Our sales and support team is here to help you!

• PK1984PK1984
  • simple-help.com

No monthly subscriptions.  host on your own platform.  License based on number of simultaneous remote sessions.  Been using it for years, works great!

• We switched to Splashtop​ and have been very happy with the product.  The pricing is pretty good, too!

It works great with PC's that have multiple monitors, and you can also remote control mobile devices that run iOS and Android operating systems.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • We've been using ConnectWise for some time now and has been great. 

• CRendall wrote:

We switched to Splashtop​ and have been very happy with the product.  The pricing is pretty good, too!

It works great with PC's that have multiple monitors, and you can also remote control mobile devices that run iOS and Android operating systems.

Two concurrent connections also an added bonus. Works great when brainstorming or training with a colleague.

We use Teams for voice/chat in conjunction. Would be great if Splashtop added these type features, kind of one-stop-shop.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Second for ConnectWise Control. Not only do you have to ability to connect with no prompts, you can remotely run tools you made, connect directly to a cmd/powershell (to not disturb the user), quickly see the online status of your servers, gather credentials, blank the screen, disable user input, see windows stats, and waaaay more.

I seriously use this every single day, and love every minute of it.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • PK1984 wrote:

There's an assumption that a company making enterprise software has more incentive to be responsive to changes in the security landscape and keep up to date on vulnerabilities. It's not any particular flaw or vulnerability with UVNC but more our concerns with it remaining up to date as things change.

Yep, this is a common perception, even though the opposite is actually more likely to be true.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • +1 for ScreenConnect

Great program that works.  Options for Cloud Hosting or Hosting it yourself.

We have used it for a while now and love it.

• Since you are concerned about the security of the product, I found this information for ConnectWise Control:

Security Guide

• Bill2718 wrote:

PK1984 wrote:

There's an assumption that a company making enterprise software has more incentive to be responsive to changes in the security landscape and keep up to date on vulnerabilities. It's not any particular flaw or vulnerability with UVNC but more our concerns with it remaining up to date as things change.

Yep, this is a common perception, even though the opposite is actually more likely to be true.

I'm not the one making the decision, so I've got my marching orders. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I would recommend three options depending which route you want to go:

Dameware - This is better for internal teams that have pretty much one site or all sites connected via VPN.  You can push the service out ad-hoc through AD integration or various other ways.  Pay is per technician that uses it though.

ScreenConnect - This is better for having sites where you don't control what is on the users PC each time.  You can setup an outward facing server that you can use as a connection gateway.

My biggest recommendation if you were going to pay for something though:

Look into a solid RMM like Ninja.  For like $2 per endpoint per month, we get TeamViewer or Splashtop included and get all of the information we need on every computer including Windows and 3rd party patch management, remote command line, registry, scripting, and automation.  It is has changed the way we work internally.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Another plus for TeamViewer. I have used it here for four years, without a glitch. Easy to configure remote access. Web access (with 2FA) for emergency access when not on your normal host computer.

The ONLY negative I have is that they have switched to an annual subscription model. I continue to run perpetually on a version that is a couple of generations old for that reason. I would do product upgrades if they had kept the old licensing model, but will not switch to a subscription model. But I still think it is a terrific product.

• Stan98034 wrote:

We are transition from Teamviewer to GoverLAN. We do not consider Teamviewer to be secure enough.

I am curious why you consider Teamviewer insecure. Can you elaborate?

Spice (2) flagReport

Read these next...

• What laptop(s) to buy for workplaces?

What laptop(s) to buy for workplaces?

Hardware

Hi everyone,At a customer they are looking for new laptops for certain workplaces.There are 2 variants involved:- Basic laptops, to perform very light tasks (internetting, e-mail, Excel/Word).- Laptops for management, these need to be a bit faster, but ar...

• The SOC Briefing for July 1st - Summer here we go

The SOC Briefing for July 1st - Summer here we go

Security

Good morning and welcome to today's briefing. Apologies for not posting last week, the weekend got ahead of me and didn't have time to post. But today we have a lot of updates from various vendors including Microsoft, QNAP (seems to be a lot here) and the...

• Snap! SessionManager malware, Chrome pwds, PowerShell, moon base, Starlink, etc

Snap! SessionManager malware, Chrome pwds, PowerShell, moon base, Starlink, etc

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. While it feels almost like another lifetime, I do recall when music wasn't available on my phone to listen to. But even before that, there was a time when music on the go was not readily available. But, on Ju...

• Spark! Pro series – 1st July 2022

Spark! Pro series – 1st July 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I didn’t have a Walkman at least not until they came out with the CD version.  Nope, I had a knock off made by a company named Craig.  But, that Craig, played hours and hours of music.  I believe it still worked...

• Change DNS zone to AD integrated

Change DNS zone to AD integrated

Networking

I have a client who is running a single server 2008 that is the DC and File Server. We just added a new server 22 to replace the old server. It joined to domain fine and promoted it to dc but noticed that DNS was not replicating even though everything els...