Home
Join
check
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

The free upgrade ended on July 29 2016 and must have reached the Welcome screen by 11:59 PM UTC-10 (Hawaii) on July 29, 2016.

So even though it is working you should still purchase a legit licence to cover these boxes.

Spice (8) flagReport
    9 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • View Best Answer in replies below

10 Replies

• This ended on 7/29/2016 for regular users and 12/31/2017 for those who use assistive technologies. Remember that activation != license. It may have activated fine, but you are not properly licensed.

Spice (1) flagReport
      Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
    • Even if this did work, it wouldn't be a completely legitimate license I don't think. There's a guy named Chris on here and you can + mention him to get 'official' answers since he's a Microsoft employee and licensing guru.

• LanceHarmstrong wrote:

Even if this did work, it wouldn't be a completely legitimate license I don't think. There's a guy named Chris on here and you can + mention him to get 'official' answers since he's a Microsoft employee and licensing guru.

Chris is no longer in that role for Microsoft. Gregory for Microsoft took over for him.   

Spice (2) flagReport
    • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

The free upgrade ended on July 29 2016 and must have reached the Welcome screen by 11:59 PM UTC-10 (Hawaii) on July 29, 2016.

So even though it is working you should still purchase a legit licence to cover these boxes.

Spice (8) flagReport
      9 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Gregory,

Thank you for the clarification.

Troy

Spice (1) flagReport
    • Gregory for Microsoft wrote:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/12435/windows-10-upgrade-faq

Just quoting this to reopen the topic since the question about Windows 10 upgrades (for free) still seem to keep popping up.

Spice (4) flagReport
      4 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • Thanks, I always had trouble explaning that when something is posible it is not automaticaly legal.

It is still hard for endusers to understand that activation does not equal a license.
      I even have a hard time convincing my colleagues of this fact!
      From now on I will refer them to this topic, thx!!!
    • It is still free, for as long as you have a Windows 7 Pro keycode, which you can enter in place of the Windows 10 license. It will authorize against a Microsoft Activation server.

0 of 7 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • DeathRat wrote:

It is still free, for as long as you have a Windows 7 Pro keycode, which you can enter in place of the Windows 10 license. It will authorize against a Microsoft Activation server.

It most certainly is -not- free.  Just because an upgrade method works doesn't mean it's legal. 

What you suggest is nothing less than piracy.

Spice (4) flagReport
      4 of 5 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
    • ^^This..
      Just because your car can do 150mph, doesn't move the legal speed limit.

Read these next...

• Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Snap! IOS XR vuln, Linux 5.18, ransomware, Starliner docks, & lunar datacenters?

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Monday, everyone! It is also World Turtle Day. At first, I thought it was a day for the Great A'Tuin, a World Turtle from the Discworld series, but we have a few days until the Glorious 25th of May...

• Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 23rd May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Monday!  Welcome to the Monday Spark!  Grab a cup of Coffee and read on! To start things off… A Monday Quotes Top 10. 1. Monday should be optional. 2. Good morning. Keep calm and pretend it’s not Monda...

• Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Need help preparing company computers for sale (intune)

Windows

Hi Folks,              The Company I work for has just sold off its sales operation. As part of the sale, several laptop & desktop computers that were used in the sales department will be taken to the new companyMy Director has asked me to effectively pre...

• IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

IP Camera Monitoring System REQUIREMENT

Hardware

Hello,I have:1- 150 HIKVISION IP camera 4MP 2- 5*32-CH HIKVISION NVR I want to display a live view of the 150 camera on a video wall.What is the additional required devices should I have?I think I just need a video wall controller and a high performance p...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...