Home
Join

136 Replies

• My printer at home is called "I vomit ink" confused my parents when they needed to print when they visited.

Spice (18) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Our work printer is named Thor and our plotter is Odin. 

Spice (36) flagReport
  • I haven't done this with printers, but I did name a server "Sicko" one time.  That poor machine had an overheating problem until the day I replaced it.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • The previous copier in our main workroom was often referred to as Darth Vader. It was big, black, and crushed the souls of all who opposed it.

Spice (76) flagReport
  • Is there a Hammer next to Thor???

Spice (23) flagReport
  • I don't believe I've done this before, but if I were to name a printer... I'd have to go with El Chupacabra because, sometimes, my printers are quite the little mysterious beasts. :)

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Claptrap (Borderlands) Because its loud with a mind of its own but some stuff it comes out with is pure gold.

Spice (51) flagReport
  • Our first configured printer under Netware (circa 1986), was named Gutenberg. When you had  less than 6 printers configured and attached to the network within a building, it was easy to determine their location based on whatever name you gave it.  However, once we started to have staff turnover and departments expanded and moved within a building, it became more difficult to know the location based on a nondescript name.  Network configuration became kinda boring, once you had to adhere to a naming convention..... 

Spice (20) flagReport
  • Hewlett-Smackard (Smacktard if you're incredibly vicious)

Canon-Fodder

Epsonofagun

Xeroxdahouse

Riiiiicoh-la

Spice (41) flagReport
  • IT sits between Management and Users, Humor is confusing to non-IT beings.

Warning: May affect job review by non-IT beings.

Regards,  Michael

Spice (16) flagReport
  • Error - Load Tray 2

Spice (24) flagReport
  • My favorites are:

Printer - Offline

Unavailable

Spice (42) flagReport
  • Interesting, you all seem to put a lot of work into these names though I think some people might be forgetful of which printer they send their job to.

I find that simply printing to "SACK OF SHIT" allows my users to know exactly which printer it is.

Spice (37) flagReport
  • Can't be found

Isn't Installed

This Printer?

Oh, That Printer?

Scanner or Printer?

This things?

That one

That one over there

This prints?

Can't be found

The working one

The stubborn one

Grinder

and my favorite: Oh God this is the one you print to!

Spice (9) flagReport

• Is it sick of itself? Or a different printer? Or a person who works at a printing press? Or a photographer developing film?

Spice (9) flagReport
  • We actually have a printer on our network called Wonkavision, it deletes print jobs as it "Prints" them. Some functions in our ERP system generate reports wither you want them or not, so redirect the files and fill up hard drive space? Or kill trees sending them to a real printer?? No send them to Wonka vision and make them disappear

Spice (19) flagReport
  • We had a very unreliable printer for a while that was named Bob_Marley (because it was always jamming). Got it replaced, and the new printer is Ziggy_Marley (son of Bob. Jams significantly less).

Spice (16) flagReport
  • MC Jammer was a pretty hilarious one. I have yet to name a printer in my organization though.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • J_Rae wrote:

Is it sick of itself? Or a different printer? Or a person who works at a printing press? Or a photographer developing film?

It's a self-hating machine! Just kidding, it was a typo.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Mike400 wrote:

I haven't done this with printers, but I did name a server "Sicko" one time.  That poor machine had an overheating problem until the day I replaced it.

Yeah we didn't rename our printers either, just location related names ... but where I used to work, the company had a naming scheme for servers tied to their function, location and status ....

So the one server was named as Call Recording Albany Production 02 (second server) .... soooooo, when they shortened it for the label ... it was CRAP02 ... and for anyone who ever grew up or has been to the UK knows what WC is ... that CRAP02 server sat beside the ALB-WC2 ... the Albany Wireless Controller #2 .... and yet the network team wondered why I started laughing when I went into the server room .... I might live in the US, but I grew up in the UK ... they didn't the WC, but they were a little 'slow' as well, when I pointed out, hey ... the CRAP02 server, really, you don't get that ... I got blank looks for like 2mins, then ding, lightbulb went on ....

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Digital to Analog Converter

Spice (15) flagReport
  • I have seen a printer called "Monkey Jam."

• ThePrinterWithNoName

ThePrinterWhoShallBeWorshipped

PaperHog

SpitMaster

PaperJamsInFinisher

PrintOrIWillHelpYouNot

Spice (3) flagReport
  • A few of the printer names I have seen before. I remember seeing a printer with a picture of Bob Marley on the side saying something about "We be jammin"

• Printer is coming.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • We need a poll for fav printer name!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • For those of you on a cents per copy we use Dewey Cheathum and Howe!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • MichaelR77 wrote:

Error - Load Tray 2

This name works especially well for printers with only one tray.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Streaker

Dotty

Spice (1) flagReport
  • We have one that we call Roxanne because of the big red error light.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • We had one named LumberMill (for obvious reasons).

Spice (2) flagReport
  • He ain't heavy hes my brother

• Some of these names sound like my fantasy football team names. Cannon Fodder pretty much summed up that season.

• I renamed our old printer Ricoh Suave when it was replaced .  I use it for testing (sparingly, as there's no way I'm getting a toner refill for it).

Spice (1) flagReport
  • One small company I worked for had the entire network Star Wars themed.  

Printer 1 = R2D2

Printer 2 = C3P0

Domain Controller = Yoda

Exchange Server = MillenniumFalcon

Terminal Server = JediCouncil

Workstations were named after characters so CEO was DarthVader, managers were main characters like Luke, Han Solo, and so on.  Temps were assigned Stormtrooper numbers like Stormtrooper123 and so on.  Needless to say the owner was a huge Star Wars fan.

Spice (18) flagReport
  • BERTHA

Spice (2) flagReport
  • What you fail to realize is that printers are sentient beings and applying derogatory names to them only encourages them to engage in an ever increasing battle for supremacy in which they will always defeat you. I on the other hand, talk nicely to printers, have them view me as an equal and have no problems at all. My problems all stem from the manufacturers and engineers that design and build printers. Like a poorly trained dog, printers are simply the innocent result of misguided parents.

Except for Xerox, they are plain evil. There are lots of names there Xrot, Xmarksthespot,,,

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Our big shared scanner is R2D2

• Thou shall not print!     :) it was a LOT fan club with the end users.

• I've seen a lot of these, but two stood out and gave me a chuckle:

The artist formerly known as Prints
    Grandmaster Crash

We don't have special names, although, I'd like that. We are conventional in our naming. We call the printers for what department they are in.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I inherited an infrastructure once where the previous gent used all Disney names.

Felt pretty silly to tell the the CEO to print to Tinkerbell....

Oh my...

Spice (3) flagReport
  • OutsideDudewithglassesCube

Dontaskjustdont

dontprinthere

MINEDONTTOUCH

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Where I work, printers are named after super heroes which is the opposite of what they should be.  I'd prefer villain names like Abomination, Thanos, Red Skull, etc.

• We had one we named Black Hole, all print jobs sent to it never printed

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Ezra (as in the O.T. scribe)

• We have a huge, 17 foot long professional printer that is pretty consistently jammed or otherwise broken. Due to the size and shape being roughly equivalent to a battelship, we dubbed it the "USS Paper-jam." It also has a large red light that comes on when there is an issue, so more recently we renamed it "Roxanne", after the famous Sting song by the same name:

"Roxanne, you don't have to put on the red light...."

Spice (7) flagReport
  • There is a family in my town that named all their kids after Norse gods.  At least two of the boys play football so a few times a year I'll be at a HS game and the announcer will say something like, "Odin break through the line and hits the quarterback! Loose ball! Loose ball! Thor recovers!" ...and I get in trouble for cheering because they're not on my team.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • I've not named one, but I did hang a post-it that read "One day my prints will come.."

I don't think anyone noticed.....

Spice (2) flagReport
  • At my last company I did the naming in the main office, Star Trek names. Kirk, Spock, ect.  

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Snap! Win 8.1, hybrid IT models, robo-fish, Jovian Vortex Hunters, & more

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to Friday! It has been a big week here as we launched Spiceworks News & Insights a few days ago. Do you know who else had their sights set high? Kenneth Arnold. On June 24, 1947, civilian pilot Ken...

• Chrome is a memory hog?

Chrome is a memory hog?

Windows

I have a win 10 pro machine with 21H2.Running chrome  102.0.5005.115.  I will open a bunch of tabs during the day (right now, 49).  And including other things that are running, there's 80% of the 12GB of RAM in the box.I've noticed that when I go into ...

• When you are just starting out

When you are just starting out

IT & Tech Careers

HI Spiceworld,I was reading some discussions around the community and I see that here it’s like we’re all part of a family, so I venture to open this discussion, hoping that you can help me/understand me or at least bring your experiences. I am a c...

• Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Spark! Pro Series - June 24th 2022

Water Cooler

Compulsion: 1: a very strong urge to do something He felt a compulsion to say something. 2: a force that makes someone do something She was acting under compulsion. 3: an act or the state of forcing an action They ...

• Sublets and the Network

Sublets and the Network

Networking

I have a situation where one of the offices is looking to sublet for 1 day a week. They want one port to put their firewall/router on and drive their network from there. My first notion is to say no and require them to pull in their own connection. I want...