Home
Join

214 Replies

• I had a colleague drop a waste toner bag down the middle of 12 flights of stairs.  This was 10AM on a Friday, building evacuated :D

Feel bad for the person(s) who had to clean this up.

He became the office hero that day.

Pepper graySpice (7) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • John4120 wrote:

This happened at a school during the lunch break, the teacher workroom was also the staff breakroom.  The service provider that we were using at the time sent us refurb toner assemblies for our copier as part of our contract.  Someone was changing the toner bottle on the machine and wasn't 100% familiar with what they were doing.  They thought it was like at home where you should give it a "little shake," before you put it in the machine.  This would normally be correct except that this is just a bottle of toner, there are no mechanical guts in it at all.  Well the teacher gave it a shake like she was shaking a bottle of orange juice and in a flash toner was all over the room and the dozen or so people sitting at the table eating lunch.  It kinda looked like the entire first period lunch had been in a copier explosion.  

We have those, we have large industrial OCE toner printers that need refilling, but you don't shake them, you roll the toner pack around gently! lol

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • Buying a printer.
    Just simply buying a printer for just one person to use when there is a perfectly good MFD literally 10 seconds from their desk that is more cost effective to use.

• Why at work????!!!!

• Worst mistake a user made - believing me when I told them they needed to go and get a box of landscape paper if they wanted their spreadsheet printed out in landscape mode.

• Worst mistake a company made - when I started they had 35 small laser printers between 100 users, literally almost 1 on every set of desks.

I reduced that to 2 MFD's for the whole office......

• Welcome to Spiceworks Sir 

• Here are my printer errors.

1. Late at night when i worked in a 24 hour plant, someone called the emergency IT help line in order to report that the despatch printer wasn't working so no products could be shipped. We called the emergency 24 hour 3rd party support engineer who travelled 200 miles to site, at massive expense to the business, plugged the printer into the power socket and went home. My boss was furious, especially as the power socket was next to the printer. What made matters worse, they did exactly the same the next night.......

2. I got a call from two gorgeous girls complaining their printer wasn't working (same place as number 1) so i went over there filled the printer with paper and then left......

3. I now work in the printing industry, we produce millions of individual items per day, i just had a chat with the digital print operator and asked what he had done wrong, and he told me, he once printed a job, at 50000 sheets, checked the job for quality, print colours, alignment, bar code correctness, backing up, forme fitting, imposition and was happy the job was perfect. He completed all 50000 sheets at great expense to the business (expensive paper stock) and was proud of the job. Then someone came along and said "did you not notice in big red letters on every sheet is written the words "DO NOT PRINT THIS FILE". He couldn't believe it. Sometimes you cannot see the wood for the trees.

4. This one was slightly cruel, but i was given the task of supervising a 14 year old work placement student. He had been warned about long stands, spirit level bubbles and things like this. I concocted a plan with the digital printer from number 3 and a design guy to make a tartan pattern on some paper. The digital print operator printed a test sheet which comes out a single colour just to clean the blanket, he came through at the designated time and told me that he is having real trouble trying to print this tartan pattern and can i have a look. So i took my apprentice with me and i had a look and i asked if the printer had put the tartan ink in the ink tank. He said he hadn't but didn't have any down here, so i sent the apprentice to the despatch team to pick it up as that is where they store some, he asked for the tartan ink from despatch team (ex army so immediately knew what we were doing) and he said, i dont think we have it down here because it is expensive, i think you need to go and see the CEO. so they sent him to the other side of the building to see the ceo to ask for some tartan ink, the ceo knew exactly what we had done and sent him to a different other end of the building where the ink stores were just for them to explain the joke to him. GRRR!!

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • My biggest, and to date, most embarrassing 'faux pas' was when I first started in IT, and had been sent to do some "preventative maintenance" on an HP Laserjet II in an office back in the early 90's. 

I had been instructed as to how to get the case off (which involved bending the plastic to within an inch of its life as I recall, to lift it off and reveal the innards) and was told to clean out any dust, replace rollers etc.

I opened this very dusty HP Laserjet II, and armed with my can of compressed air, proceeded to blow out all the dust from therein. What I didn't realise, never having used an air duster before, was how 'compressed' the air actually was, and the force with which it would come out! 

Subsequently, I filled the entire room with a thick cloud of dust, enough so, you could just see a shaft of sunlight coming through the window, and the staff sitting at their desks had to evacuate the office so they could breathe!

Needless to say, I have never made the same mistake again.

I did stand an HP inkjet printer on its side once, whilst I went back to the car to get something, and the residue ink reservoir sponge managed to leak black ink all over a lovely white, perfectly ironed tablecloth in the hotel restaurant where I had been told I could do the repair on their Reception printer...

I didn't do that again either.

• We have kids who change the languages on our printers all the time, it's happed so often that I've learned the layout of the menus. It has become muscle memory for me now... I still remember the first time a user came down and told us that the printer was 'being weird' got the shock of walking up to a printer expecting another paper jam and the menu system being in Chinese!

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • A user was throwing lollipops around the office to others. I got a call for a printer jamming 'for some reason'.
    The lollipop had squished through the paper feed (vertical on that printer) and wedged in the drum.

• Had a user print a 60 page technical report to our A1 plotter, I am still not entirely sure how he managed to get an A4 document to scale up to A1 accidentally. I mean you have to actually change those settings or the plotter just prints on the A1 roll at A4 size.

Regardless I found the document in the morning after it had used up an entire roll of A1 paper so i stapled it and dropped it on his desk. He had needed the document for a meeting first thing in the morning so he had to take the A1 copy with him.

We also have 2 MFD printers that look similar apart from the large name and model number on the front of it. This name and model number ties up with the toner supplies boxes so its all very clear for anyone who can read what everything is. Of course this did not stop one of the junior staff members jamming the other MFD's toner bottles into the printer, breaking the toner bottle and the printer before walking off and leaving it broken. 

• That "someone" was me. In the 90's, I was doing agency contract work as a techie in South Africa. Laser printers were a new thing, and I was assigned a job to replace the toner cartridge on the desktop laser printer of a director of a bank. I had to wait outside his office till he was ready, and he told me that he could give me 7 minutes in total to get the job done, then I had to be out of his office again. 
    Bearing in mind that this was the 1st ever toner cartridge I'd ever replaced, I bravely marched into his office, removed the old cartridge like a pro, took the new cartridge out of the packaging, and after peeling off the sealing strip, shook it assertively, as I was instructed. 
    Only, all that achieved was to scatter toner all over various documents all over his desk. I then tried wiping the toner up, with the predictable disastrous results. Exactly 7 minutes later, he walked back into his office to a scene of carnage.
    Oddly enough, I never got any contracting jobs from that agency again!

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • Found one of my (adult) student's completely filled out financial aid forms in the floor's MFP. We were in for a Saturday class, and it has been printed sometime on Friday.

I sealed it in one of those large manila envelopes and took his aside to tell him (a) what i found (b) where I found it (c) which state regulation and law the school had violated (d) what the school MUST do under that regulation, and (e) when the site director was due in the office.

From his account, he tore the site director a new one.

• Firstly I thought "How on earth can someone's pants get stuck??!!?!?!" Then I realised you were talking American 'pants' and not English 'pants'.... lol! ;o) 

Or were you....??? 

• I had a user rest a freshly brewed mug of coffee on the collator, and were then surprised when it moved as they printed, and the entire cup was spilled inside the printer.

Miraculously, it survived, and the only damage was to the carpet below it.

• Oh, that actually was me lol

I removed the waste toner cardridge and walked to the bin holding it vertically.

After 100 meters walked i realized that all the toner was spilled the whole way i was walking. Gladly only 20 meter were carpet lmao

• I got called to the HR department because they couldn't get a replacement toner into the printer. When I get there, the toner is in but not at the right angle, and I had to use some muscle to pull it out. When I did get it out finally the toner cartridge had a crack in it (undoubtedly from the way it was forced in incorrectly) about an inch long. To this day, I'm not sure how the 100lb HR lady used enough force to break that cartridge.

• Ours was buying an Epson. 

• Printer related .... one company I was at, Jr admin in the "Operations dept" decided to reprogram their one old line printer and configure the IP address after a vendor tech replaced the main board for a hardware issue.

Down side was that the IP they gave it was also the same one their AS400 had as well, so all users using the AS400 Client on Windows (not the hardwired consoles we still had) lost access or had intermittent drop issues throughout the day when trying to access the mainframe. No-one in any dept thought to reach out to IT, as AS400 issues were normally always dealt with by Ops anyway, so IT (local and corporate) was out left of the loop. Wasn't until a 'water cooler' conversation when I asked about how someone's day was that they brought up, yeah our AS400's been up and down all day and they couldn't print properly to the line printer for billing either.

IT (me) took a walk down there to go see what was going on ..... found the conflict and pointed Ops to swap the printer IP and everything went back to normal. The Ops Jr admin had thought the printer config was asking for the AS400 address so it would connect to it, not that the IP meant the printer needed a specific address for itself. They didn't understand networking, but were a guru in the AS400 and billing system programming.

• Pepper graySpice (7) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • At my last job, the CEO was making copies himself (unheard of I know) when the copier ran out of paper so instead of asking for help (as expected) he tried to refill the empty paper tray(again unheard of).  He overfilled the tray and couldn't understand why it wouldn't go back into the copier.  Long Story Short (and lots of Expletives later) the tray was forced into the copier at a strange angle and it only cost us $500 to get the copier repaired.

• When I was working in a k12 environment, someone in a copy room managed to break the paper tray lifting mechanism on a huge xerox workcentre machine. It was the main unit for the whole wing of the school, I get a ticket that the printer isn't working.........mysteriously no one know how it happened. Got to love end users......

• We have a few users that won't even change their toner and call I.T to do it. I have seen other times they put the paper try guides so tight it fails to pickup paper then they say the printer isn't working...

I think the oddest one was from my predecessor which did most of the printer stuff had done something with this printer before. I just happened to walk by saw the user taking a screwdriver to the printer, I said what is the issue... it won't print duplex. I looked it over no issues I could see, asked them to google printer model not duplexing found a manual for it, flipped the unit over opened the duplexer area and there was a plastic pickup roller sitting in it. I could not find where it came from, sort of looked like an old roller took it out. It worked. The user was then kind of shocked that the my predecessor somehow ended up getting that in there and leaving it. Not sure how it happened, but was really strange.

• We seem to have an issue with the large copiers (mostly Canon but some Ricoh) where they open the doors to fiddle with things ("because the screen told me to!") and then force the doors closed, breaking the doors/hinges/misc parts, all because they did not put the levers back the way they should be.

If it doesn't "work" just get a bigger hammer - seems to be the way of things here some days.

• Not really a big mistake but the other day I gave a user a new toner for her desk printer.  About 20 minutes later she comes into my office claiming it does not fit.  I look at the toner and she was trying to install it with the plastic roller cover still installed.  Gave me a chuckle.

• Serge7400 wrote:

Back in the day when we had to wear ties, I got my tie caught in a high speed belt printer. NOT funny.

Correct.  It's HILARIOUS!!

• We had an employee that worked with kids.  They did art work but one day they decided to scan a piece of work that had sand glued to it.  Instead of using the flat bed on their small multi-function inkjet, they stuck it through the feeder.  This killed the scanner.  

Then it happened AGAIN, but with feathers this time.  This killed it again.  

Employee no longer employed with us, and everyone in that department only get flat bed scanners.  

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
  • Not at work, but when I was in high school.

Remember the overhead projectors and the transparencies that teachers used? Well, one day, some of the punk kids thought it would be funny to tell one of the substitute teachers that she could put transparencies in the printer and print out her lessons on them like they were paper. Newflash, no, you can't. They melted all over the inside of the printer, and this was one of the bigger commercial printers in the library.

I'm pretty sure the school had to purchase a new printer after that. And they were nice enough to let that particular substitute keep her job.

ps. It IS kind of funny when you think about it

• By far the largest mistake in this office is giving a user a personal printer.

• No idea if I am alone in this but someone once ran an acetate through the printer paper tray which then melted itself on to the rollers etc - what a mess!

• At my last job we would ship printers back and forth to all the different locations, they would ship them back with the toner still in the printer... open the box and toner everywhere. 

• This happened a few years ago.   A user's Panasonic 4450 laser printer (a REALLY expensive printer back then,) ran out of toner, so the user, who didn't have any 4450 toner, poured fax toner into the toner bin instead.   Toner is toner, right?   Wrong!    Destroyed the printer.   Every page came out solid black.   Toner everywhere (EVERYWHERE.)    End of printer.   Fill out req. for new printer.

• I did hardware support and field service for 19 years. We had a customer that put large "DO NOT MOVE" signs on their Xerox Colorcube printers. This is a "wax" printer with liquid ink basically. When the printer was moved, the ink would flow down into the gear train and break all sorts of parts from side frames to gear clusters. But they never felt it was their fault. I have also seen the refurbished toner cartridges explode in the printers along with people thinking they could clean ink nozzles with alcohol, which coincidentally melted the nozzles and renders the printer useless. 

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gKe_zLyKIEOpens a new window

An old video, but goes to show that pants aren't the worst thing to get stuck in a printer......

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • J_Rae wrote:

Not at work, but when I was in high school.

Remember the overhead projectors and the transparencies that teachers used? Well, one day, some of the punk kids thought it would be funny to tell one of the substitute teachers that she could put transparencies in the printer and print out her lessons on them like they were paper. Newflash, no, you can't. They melted all over the inside of the printer, and this was one of the bigger commercial printers in the library.

I'm pretty sure the school had to purchase a new printer after that. And they were nice enough to let that particular substitute keep her job.

ps. It IS kind of funny when you think about it

Well, they used to make transparencies that would go thru a laser printer, but typically those cost quite a bit more than just plain ones.

• I'm not entirely sure what happened as it happened on day I was gone for classes, but all employees recieved an emailed safety procedure with the warning "Printer toner causes irritation when inhaled". Wonder what happened... 

• Friend of mine got a puppy which loved to explore, he was changing the cartridges one day and the puppy thought this looked like a fun new place. Said puppy ended up covered in black ink and breaking the printer when he jumped in, got splattered and panicked...

Not so much a mistake, but by far one of the weirdest calls for help I ever got.

• We had a new Xerox Phaser 7400 installed in one of our offices. A big old monster with multiple paper trays, duplex printing, all the works.  A couple of staff members decided to move it, one grabbing the handles on the lowest paper tray, the other grabbing the handles on the printer.  The paper trays came out from under the printer, shearing the connection hardware from both trays and the printer and twisting the frame on the printer when it hit the ground.  It never printed duplex again.

• Couriant wrote:

Chris Z. wrote:

We've got some Xerox Color Qube/Phaser style printers in the office.  If you've seen those, they use solid ink sticks (kind of like big color crayon blocks).  Each color is a different shape, and only fits one say.  They are also numbered with a picture right above the ink loader.  Sounds simple and pretty idiot proof right?

Remember when I said they only fit one way?  Well, one user managed to get one color in the wrong hole.  I still don't really know how they did it.  I was able to work it back out without taking it all apart thankfully.  I've only seen that done one time.

Funny thing about those Xerox Phasers... they need time to cool down the "crayons" when the printer in use... however a colleague of mine that didn't know this and moved the printer after doing a post install setup and covered the whole inside with the melted "crayons"....   needless to say I had to replace all the parts (Drum, boards, the lot).

Sad to say, but it might have been cheaper to replace the printer than fix it. At least that is how it worked with our organization. Typically the printhead is wasted once that happens, so by the time to add the parts and labor, a new printer was a cheaper solution. Don't miss those printers, but they did produce very nice printouts.

• We have a color printer.  Access only to a few managers and their assistants.  We go through the toners for it within three to six months.  I order toners for it when they are close to being empty.  Monday I checked the toners and I see I am going to need order at least three colors next week.  No big deal.  I noted it and moved on.  Yesterday HR printed over 700 pages of colored pages.  Essentially using up all the black, cyan, and yellow toners.  We had a discussion about the situation.  I explained why we no longer keep spares:  the price, the possibility that they may dry up, and our toner provider is thirty minutes away from our building.  And depending on his schedule and the amount of toner I have ordered; he could ship it to us or delivery to us.  So, I placed an order for the toner last night and it should be here within the next 48 hours.  

• zachkoppolin wrote:

watched a newly certified HP printer tech try to service an older printer, he touched the large Capacitor and got the shock of his life.....  It was funny because he had been telling me that "you should never ever touch this thing right here" and he touched it.......  

he had an electric personality after messing with the printer...

Laughed at this, but remember this happening to me when I first started in Hardware Service. Now I no longer wear ANY jewelry to work. Taking that high voltage thru a wedding band will change your outlook. But, I bet that tech won't ever forget that valuable lesson!

• Probably not the worst story about printers but in one of my prior roles i had to explain to an older gentleman that putting coins inside the printer isn't how this printer works.

After around 30 minutes of showing him how it works, he then demanded his money back. So i grabbed the money out of the little cupish style holder at the front and gaveit back to him. 

"No, no, i want it all back"

You want it all back? "Yes"
    How much hav...wait how long have you been doing this for? (I could see him mentally counting the sands of time) "About 13 years"

Needless to say i couldn't do anything for him. I later found out he'd been doing it for longer than 13 years and people had told him but he kept forgetting. He's hopefully retired by now and i hope he's living a happy life and saves a few pound a week on printing costs.

• When I worked for the courts I had a Judge printing porn to the courtroom printer instead of his office printer.

• Chris Z. wrote:

We've got some Xerox Color Qube/Phaser style printers in the office.  If you've seen those, they use solid ink sticks (kind of like big color crayon blocks).  Each color is a different shape, and only fits one say.  They are also numbered with a picture right above the ink loader.  Sounds simple and pretty idiot proof right?

Remember when I said they only fit one way?  Well, one user managed to get one color in the wrong hole.  I still don't really know how they did it.  I was able to work it back out without taking it all apart thankfully.  I've only seen that done one time.

At least they didn't think they were gummy candies and try to eat them.

• Years ago I was working in a K-4 school and had just introduced Color LJ printers to the school. A second grade teacher thought it was a good idea to put an inkjet transparency into the Color LJ. Needless to say the transparency immediately shrink wrapped itself to the fuser. $500 mistake   

• I had an intern walk down the hallway shaking a toner bottle for one of our copiers over his head .  He didn't know the cap was off and that toner was spewing everywhere behind him.  Needless to say he left a black trail for about 50 feet, walls, floor and even some on the ceiling!  Oh and all over his back as well.  I wish I had taken pictures.  Luckily our maintenance department has a shop-vac style toner vacuum for such emergencies.

• And the person who is trying to print to a device that is not installed on their computer, and on being told that the PC can't see the printer, turns their monitor towards the printer.

This made me laugh! Thanks for the chuckle!

• We have a C-level manager that constantly tries to print odd-sized print jobs, gets paper jammed in the printer, then walks away without informing IT. 

15 minutes later, we start getting phone calls and walk-ins complaining about the printer not working.

Also, our HR department is HORRIBLE at reloading the toner cartridges, and constantly spills the toner all over the computer trays, slots, guts, floor, etc.  Again, no one tells IT...until the mess has gotten so bad that it's affecting the quality of the prints.  Then it's a lengthy tech visit to repair the machine and clean it out.

• I have too many to name and a few I wish to forget.

Top 3 : Using inkjet transparences in a laser jet printer, think grilled cheese sandwich on rollers in fuser.

     People forgetting to take pull the plastic tab and ribbon out of HP toner before inserting into printer.

     Attempting to pour toner from one Canon toner bottle from a different toner. Reason: they did not have any replacement bottles and thought they were all the

     same.

  

Read these next...