Home
Join

13 Replies

• Yes we did.  We ddn't bother re-imaging systems back down to 7, and we never, ever went back to XP.  All new rollouts now whenever possible are Windows 10 / Server 2016 unless there is a verifiable reason that those won't work.

"Oh but I prefer..."
    No.

Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • My primary desktop at work is 8.1. I haven't bothered upgrading it to 10. My laptops (personal and work) are 10.

We are definitely seeing issues with Windows 7, be it due to newer hardware not getting security updates, or the included RDP Client not supporting TLS 1.1.

• Only a hand full were ever on 8.1, and those were the first to get bumped up to Windows 10.

• I vastly prefer Windows 10 to Windows 8.1  I'm surprised you haven't upgraded it.

• Most of my Surface Pro 3s are running Windows 8.1.

• The first thing we did to windows 8 was install classic shell start menu. After this most users didn't even notice it wasn't windows 7. Did the same thing on Windows 2012r2

• Most of my clients went from Windows XP to Windows 7 then to Windows 10.  A select few hated 8 and 10 so much they went from Windows 7 to Mac.

• shaunmitchell2 wrote:

The first thing we did to windows 8 was install classic shell start menu. After this most users didn't even notice it wasn't windows 7. Did the same thing on Windows 2012r2

Classic shell got a lot of people through 8.  Not needed with 10 though.

• Actually we install classic shell start menu on most windows 10 systems as well.

• No. Windows 8/8.1 caused too many driver issues especially with printers. It broke a lot of things that third-party vendors didn’t have a fix for. Windows 7 -> Windows 10

• Never upgraded Windows 8.1 in our company. There were some clients with it but we did not upgrade, we had few VMs for testing but it was so buggy.

• Only the tablet users got 8.1. Everyone on desktop either got 7 or 10 since that's what Dell ships with now. We never had any problems with 8.1 breaking our stuff it just wasn't a priority at the time since our next hardware refresh started after Win10 dropped.

• We ended up with one 8.1 workstation and upgraded it to 10.

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...

• What do you geek out about?

What do you geek out about?

Spiceworks

In honor of Geek Pride day on May 25th, we want to know about your unique hobbies and interests and all the things you could spend hours talking about.Are you a huge comic book fan?  Do you love creating megastructures out of LEGO bricks?  Are you int...

• Snap, AD auth fixes, Canada bans Huawei, Linux, space lasers, & Daredevil

Snap, AD auth fixes, Canada bans Huawei, Linux, space lasers, & Daredevil

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to not only Friday, but according to Lonny6654 who wrote today's community-created Spark article, it is also World Bee Day. To raise awareness of the importance of pollinators, the threats they face, ...

• The SOC Briefing for May 20th - Updates Here we Come!

The SOC Briefing for May 20th - Updates Here we Come!

Security

Good morning and welcome to today's briefing. We have a lot of updates and none more relevant than Microsoft since their AD Authentication issues from last week's patch Tuesday. We have some updates for VMware, WordPress, QNAP, SOnicwall and Apple. We th...

• Spark! Pro series – 20th May 2022

Spark! Pro series – 20th May 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Happy Friday and Happy World Bee Day!  As I had stated in a previous Spark!  I am a first time BeeKeeper this year!  Find out more about World Bee Day and our little friends here. Just a reminder, if you are re...

• World Bee Day 2022

World Bee Day 2022

Holidays

May 20th is World Bee Day,  a day to heighten awareness about our little friends.  So be sure to celebrate with a glass of Mead and learn more about honey bees.  I have included my take on our little friends an...