Home
Join

668 Replies

• raindancer4563 wrote:

have too many users to do on each one needing done, right now have a good hunch it is -KB3203467 think it also breaks attachments 

That patch was loaded with all kinds of funky sh**.  I took it out and the search issues seemed to go away.
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • tvm9 wrote:

Also using GSuite sync here. I have a user reporting that yesterday their search stopped limiting the results shown, and now shows all emails in the folder and highlights where the search matches, instead of limiting the emails shown to ones containing the search term.

I setup my account with in outlook and the same thing happens. Is anyone else seeing this new search behaviour? 

Yes, I was seeing this behavior but removing KB3203467 seemed to resolve it.
  • I just got a message today that a new version of G Suite Sync was installed on my system.

• JDemoCCC wrote:

the problem wit that is these users hate change and they are so ingrained with Outlook that they will not change. Everyone says "I hate gmail" ugh..

Have any of you also had outlook blocking attachments as unsafe because these updates? Anyone have a workaround for that? 

I found a link that indicates the attachment blocking happens if you attach a file with a period or exclamation point at the end of the file name, for example, "This Is A Document..docx" or "This Is A Spreadsheet!.xlsx".  Get riid of the extra "." or the "!" and the attachment comes through unblocked.  KB3203467 caused this I think.
  • I've seen both the search issue and the attachment blocking. The easiest answer to both is to use the web interface instead of using Outlook, but a lot of my users also say they don't like it and prefer Outlook.

I hope MS releases a new patch soon.

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • We have tested and confirmed that we are seeing ALL attachments blocked from emails formatted as RTF regardless of extension. If the user saves the attachment to the desktop, then they can open it. If you remove the  KB3203467 update then you can open the attachments normally.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/670bcd8d-a4ee-4d2f-b2df-13bc15b3c706/after-install....
  • Ken Carter wrote:

raindancer4563 wrote:

have too many users to do on each one needing done, right now have a good hunch it is -KB3203467 think it also breaks attachments 

That patch was loaded with all kinds of funky sh**.  I took it out and the search issues seemed to go away.
    I will have to give it a go on another workstation - did not seem to fix things for me on the one I tested
  • i could have sworn i tried uninstalling every update one by one and i still had the search issue. The only way i was able to completely fix it was doing a restore but i might be wrong i cant remember.

However, i can confirm uninstalling that  KB3203467 will fix the attachment issue and you do not even have to restart on uninstall.

• I know this may not be the exact same issue since this is Outlook 2016 and Windows 10, but I am optimistic. According to a similar complaint, Microsoft is working on a fix. The user indicated they talked to Microsoft today and they are working on a fix. They said Microsoft suggested disabling indexing for Outlook via control panel.  The Microsoft link he referenced went to an older Outlook 2016/Win 10 issue, so I'm not sure.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sysadmin/comments/6ho2vm/outlook_2016_on_windows_10_something_went_wrong/
  • Ok just to chime in regarding attachments. 

I have  not seen any issues with attachments so far since this started. 

Win 7,8,10 .

• Another thing that got broken was if an attachment has 2 consecutive periods in it. It cannot be sent or received in some cases.

LIke: document..one.docx or document1..docx

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • Is anyone getting error messages in their event logs?  I have one user who search from within Outlook is not working for him.  The issue just started for him last week.  Event log shows the following:

Text
    Event ID: 36
    Search cannot complete the indexing of your Outlook data. Indexing cannot continue for C:\Users\user_name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\archive.pst (error=0x81404005). If this error continues, contact Microsoft Support.

Error message occurs with both the .ost and the .pst file.  System is Windows 7 / Office 2010.

I've already tried all the obvious stuff (rebuilding the index, unchecking and re-checking Outlook in the Index options, repairing Outlook, archiving all his mail, and deleting/re-creating his .ost file.)

Just trying to figure out if this may be related to the issue everyone else is commenting about, thanks!
  • Yup Mike Most of us have seen those same errors in the log..

• Any more news on this issue? I've got quite a few GSSMO users on Office 2010 suffering from indexing issues ( e.g. perpetual, preventing search fuctionality)

Happy Monday :)

• Does anyone know if Microsoft is working on fixing the search issue, that came in this update?

• Same issue here with multiple customers/sites using Outlook 2010 and GASMO seeing Outlook searches return ALL mail, really hope MS fixes this soon...

• I am having the same issue with my network, but is this related to only people with Gmail apps, or both. 

• so is this issue just isolated to Outlook 2010 and GSuite Sync users? Or have others on other emails like onsite exchange or Office 365 also seen these issues? If its just GSuite users i can see why Microsoft might be dragging their heels with a fix.

• JDemoCCC wrote:

so is this issue just isolated to Outlook 2010 and GSuite Sync users? Or have others on other emails like onsite exchange or Office 365 also seen these issues? If its just GSuite users i can see why Microsoft might be dragging their heels with a fix.

I'm seeing it with IMAP and POP3 users too. Not seen it on Exchange/O365 yet but I don't have many O365 using old versions of Outlook...

• I have it on 3 machines on O365 32bit Office 2010 SP2. Uninstalling KB4022719 on Windows 7 64 did not fix this issue. 
    No GSuite, no exchange (apart from public folder atm).

• Hi guys,

thanks to all for your contributions and efforts.

I got this issue on these two differents environments:

- Windows 7 Pro 64 bit SP1 + Outlook 2010 build 14.0.7182.5000 32 bit with G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook (GSSMO)

- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 1703 + Outlook 2010 build 14.0.7182.5000 64 bit with G Suite Sync for Microsoft Outlook

So security update KB3203467 seems to break indexing onto Google Apps Sync for Outlook.

• JDemoCCC wrote:

so is this issue just isolated to Outlook 2010 and GSuite Sync users? Or have others on other emails like onsite exchange or Office 365 also seen these issues? If its just GSuite users i can see why Microsoft might be dragging their heels with a fix.

O365-Windows 7- Outlook/Office 2010 32bit SP2 here.

Getting the search issue.

• Orvis3094 wrote:

JDemoCCC wrote:

O365-Windows 7- Outlook/Office 2010 32bit SP2 here.

Getting the search issue.

ok then that solves that theory. I really hope microsoft is working on this. I would contact them if i had an active support agreement. Not about to spend $499 on a support call.
  • I imagine the $499 would get refunded as they'll already have an internal ticket for this already. It's possible there's even a hotfix available direct from support. If I've heard nothing by tomorrow I'll front the cash and open a ticket as even if they do fix this the chance of an out-of-band patch release is slim so we'll be waiting a month otherwise.

Will update here if/when I open a ticket.

• Same issue, hope they sort it soon

• User report same problem on 14 June and I posted our situation on another forum late 15 June.
    This is affected to Windows 7 system after installed KB4022719 (Monthly Rollup) with Outlook 2010. (I saw Windows 7 Outlook 2013 with the same error Event 36 but didn't do further testing.) Test with two different system with Windows 7 Office 2010 to confirm that KB4022719 is the root cause.
    If someone with Microsoft SA or MSDN, please open the case and report back.
  • We have quite a few users experiencing this issue as well (starting June 15, 2017), with most of them using GSSMO/Outlook 2010. We're currently instructing them to use the web interface as a workaround until its patched (hopefully soon). Following this thread for updates.

• Thanks to everyone posting updates in here. I see some references earlier that it might not affect environments that use onsite Exchange. Has anyone seen this behaviour with on prem exchange? I'm using Exchange 2010 and outlook 2010 clients. At the moment. we've held off the Windows Updates, but i'm under pressure to get them sent out.

Also, so far there's nothing definitive on what update caused the issue, right? I'm thinking of just rolling out Windows OS updates and leaving off the MS Office ones until there's some clarity on this. My only worry is that it's one of the OS updates causing it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

• RossDon wrote:

Thanks to everyone posting updates in here. I see some references earlier that it might not affect environments that use onsite Exchange. Has anyone seen this behaviour with on prem exchange? I'm using Exchange 2010 and outlook 2010 clients.

We had one user report the issue last week and now many more are reporting it this week.  On-site Exchange 2007 (as part of SBS 2008) with Windows 7 PC's running Outlook 2010.

For reference here's all of the updates that installed on 6/14:

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • From what I can tell it is the indexing inside Outlook that is showing the issue. The .msg extension had its iFilter broken inside Outlook and no longer indexes mail items. From the system indexing interface the .msg iFilter is fine underneath the advanced > extentions area. From the outlook search indexing interface the .msg iFilter has this message next to it: Registered IFilter is not found .

• RossDon wrote:

Thanks to everyone posting updates in here. I see some references earlier that it might not affect environments that use onsite Exchange. Has anyone seen this behaviour with on prem exchange? I'm using Exchange 2010 and outlook 2010 clients. At the moment. we've held off the Windows Updates, but i'm under pressure to get them sent out.

Also, so far there's nothing definitive on what update caused the issue, right? I'm thinking of just rolling out Windows OS updates and leaving off the MS Office ones until there's some clarity on this. My only worry is that it's one of the OS updates causing it. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!!

RossDon,

I can confirm that this is affecting on-prem Exchange.   Are you saying that you've held out on rolling out these updates?  If so, my hat's off to you THIS month......

VM

• I can also confirm this is affecting on-prem Exchange. We are running Exchange 2010 & Outlook 2010 on all pc's. All users were having the same 3 problems: 1) Search broken 2) Attachments with multiple periods being blocked 3) We use a custom task form that won't load. Uninstalling KB 3203467 fixed items 2 and 3. For item 1 (search) new items are still not getting indexed after removing the update.  I have noticed if I close & re-open Outlook the items remaining to be indexed goes down to zero within minutes, but then it starts building up again once new items start coming in - and the number does not go down until Outlook is restarted again.

• I am pretty sure i asked this before but not sure if it was here or somewhere else. Has anyone noticed an issue with the comparing documents feature in word since this update? I have a user stating she can no longer do a document to document revisions comparison in Word 2010.

• More comments here, no solutions however:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/office/en-US/c7021467-0759-4bcf-a0f0-937a8b10a66d/outloo...

• Like Satcore mentioned above, It looks like the Ifilter is not found for several Office Products. I have .docx not found, .msg not found, xlsx not found, pptx not found.

• We started to see some of these issues as well, but with outlook 2013 and 2016 recently. 

• Pthompson5320 wrote:

We started to see some of these issues as well, but with outlook 2013 and 2016 recently. 

Well, drat.  There goes my hopeful "Sure, I can fix this issue for you - you just need to upgrade my software licensing budget so I can migrate everyone from 2010 to 2016" response!  Lol.  ;-)
  • I've tried the fix that was originally mentioned, but I can't seem to get it working. I'm no techie, just someone trying to search emails for my business.  Has there been an update?

• Outlook 2010 onsite with Outlook 2013 Apps. Similar issue. Tried rebuilding the index, and noticed that I'd get a bunch of errors in event viewer where it was struggling to index IE/Offline files. Removed those, and no errors (leaving Outlook and that other option checked). Then, when I open Outlook and ask it about the status of my indexing, Event Viewer spits an error indicating it couldn't archive *Path to .OST*. Is it the Windows Search function that's toast? Here are The KB's that They all got that caused it

3191872 3178709 3172501 3191940 3191941 3191935 3191874

• We are also using GSSMO and almost half of the computers have Office 2010. Until now, only few users have complain until now, and all of them have 32 bit OS, and older version of GSSMO app. I've updated the GSSMO app on 2 computers, i'll update you if that solves the problem

• Uninstalling this update appears to have solved the issue for us on several PC's

2017-06 Security Monthly Quality Rollup for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB4022719)

Reported fix for windows 10 but not yet tested by us:

KB4022725 or KB4022715  for Windows 10
  • @MarkGT, what are you using Exchange, O3656, GSSMO,...?

• This update has not broke any of our outlook clients.

• Using Exchange 2010 and a mixture of Office 2007/2010 here and suffering from this issue. Uninstalled the previously mentioned update and the problem has gone away.

• victormarquez wrote:

RossDon,

I can confirm that this is affecting on-prem Exchange.   Are you saying that you've held out on rolling out these updates?  If so, my hat's off to you THIS month......

VM

Thanks, and to the other responders. I know it's a risk, we're going to make a call on it one way or another today. Pretty surprised it's taken Microsoft so long to sort something out for it.
  • Chris92058 wrote:

This update has not broke any of our outlook clients.

Cheers for the info Chris, but in the interests of making it useful could you maybe elaborate and tell us which versions of Outlook you're referring to, and how you verified that this problem isn't affecting you?

• Referencing my notes on page 2 of this thread, the problem came back again.  I just removed KB4022719, will report back.

• We just opened a Severity B case with Microsoft. Should hear something back within 4 hours. I will let everyone know what I find out.

Pepper graySpice (7) flagReport
  • Thank you everyone for your continued testing and investigation into this issue.  Much stronger as a team.  Will be testing removal of KB4022719 with a number of users shortly.

Read these next...