Home
Join

668 Replies

• Removing KB4011196 did not work for my users. Win7, Outlook 2010, GSSMO v.4.0.9.0. 

1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • Hi,

Did you find a solution for Windows 10? 

The solution posted by IT-COA for Windows 7 works a treat, but the updates are different for Windows 10 and I'm not sure if that's the right approach anyway...??

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Did you find a solution for G Suite Sync with Outlook 2010 on Windows 10?

• local_offer Tagged Items
    • Tag by s69710s69710
  • matthiggins2 wrote:

Hi,

Did you find a solution for Windows 10? 

The solution posted by IT-COA for Windows 7 works a treat, but the updates are different for Windows 10 and I'm not sure if that's the right approach anyway...??

All of my Windows 10 machines have been running fine after getting them updated to at least 1703. So in my case I simply updated the Windows 10 machines fully (this would have been in August at some point). I will check and confirm but I believe I am simply running 1703 or later and I have not experienced any further issues. I would try getting them all updated to 1709 and see if they are still giving indexing errors.

• WKC LLC CENTRAL TICKET CENTER wrote:

All of my Windows 10 machines have been running fine after getting them updated to at least 1703. So in my case I simply updated the Windows 10 machines fully (this would have been in August at some point). I will check and confirm but I believe I am simply running 1703 or later and I have not experienced any further issues. I would try getting them all updated to 1709 and see if they are still giving indexing errors.

Thanks for getting back to me.
    The computer is on 1703 and the user has reported that it's still not working.
    I'm reluctant to update to 1709 remotely in case something goes wrong...

I might need to rebuild the index? Although I didn't have to do that with Windows 7.

• Has anyone seen a resumption of Outlook search problems after installing the recent Important Update:  Update for Microsoft Office 2010 (KB4011188) 32-Bit Edition?

I am running:

Outlook 2010, GSuite, Win7

• keystonekeystone 

I confirm... 

Search is apparently broken this week again ! 2 users reported search broken on Windows 10 pro 1709, Outlook 2010 (latest patches), but this time on Exchange 365 accounts. (no Google Suite involved)

Still trying to fix this new Microsoft update fiasco...

• All of out users who have the problem have Win10 1703 version. when I get a chance I'll update to 1709 to see if anything happens.

But I guess, as NovacomExperts the search is also broken after 1709 also on Exchange

• Like many, the users in the company I work use  Outlook 2010, GSuite, Win7.

I have tried resync of the GSuite profiles, creating Windows profiles in other machines, and fully updating Windows.

Besides this the only thing that sometimes worked was disabling the indexing of the Outlook 2010 searches.

This works in 2/10 users and it is really really slow.

• I eventually got bored of the fixes for this not working - my solution now is to install an SSD and disable indexing of Outlook items; this is a bit slower than indexed searches but not all that much; my users seem happy enough.

• ricardopalhares wrote:

Like many, the users in the company I work use  Outlook 2010, GSuite, Win7.

I have tried resync of the GSuite profiles, creating Windows profiles in other machines, and fully updating Windows.

Have you tried these instructions from IT-COA?

If you have any of the following updates remove them*:

KB3203467 - (has been replaced by KB2956078)
    KB2597089 - (After removing a new update, KB2956076, will be there and should be installed)
    KB2956078 - (Will need to be hidden so it doesn’t re-install)
    *removing updates may require reboots between updates.

Re-index Outlook (remove Outlook from indexing, restart Outlook, add Outlook to indexing, restart Outlook).

• Lastest news. Again...

Symptoms : 

Indexed Search was broken by the last week (november 4th 2017) on Windows 10 pro 1709, Outlook 2010 (latest patches)  All accounts are on Exchange 365 accounts. (no Google Suite involved at this client

We can observate in the Indexing Options that "Microsoft Outlook" is NOT shown in the top pane (when you click modify) although it is shown in the summary (bottom pane).  Clearly a result of this lack of testing from Microsoft. There is also a csc://xxxxxxxx missing location. 

Quick solution

I did a Modify -> Repair Office from  Add/Remove Program. This asked for a reboot. After reboot, Outlook was NOW shown in the Top pane (Indexing Option / Modify) Indexing was restarting by itself... Item number increasing.

EDIT : one might need to rebuilt index after rebooting.

Hope this help someone else.

• Thanks @novacomexperts. Also facing similar issues with Windows 10 1709, Outlook 2013 and hosted Exchange server, no Gmail involved. Instant index no longer working. Already tried the steps you outlined last night but still not working for this PC. Thought this was behind us...Will report if any changes to this. 

• All done, still no results on many machines :| 

• Spent far too much time on this and came across a fix, unexpectedly at least for this one machine, setup is Windows 10, V1709 and Hosted exchange no Gmail.

Did all the normal stuff and not so normal, such as rebuilding the index, turning off search and deleting Windows indexes, setting OST to attributes to be part of Indexing, repairing Office 2013, installing Office 2016. None of these worked.

A post on another forum pointed to checking Event viewer and could see an error in the event log after installing Office 2016 which showed an error when searching unlike 2013. Tracking the error led me to this post which talked about the Event error ."Search results may be incomplete because items are still being indexed"  but importantly including the Office program path as part of the Index by manually adding it. Given tried everything else it's a quick thing to do and following the steps and after many many hours the search Index populated with emails again!

There seem to be many different manifestations of search not working after the MS fix(not) but happy not having to reload OS to fix for such a simple issue.

Steps below from Superuser post ease of reference

Open Indexing Options and note the number of items in the index. Edit Environment Variables and add to the path:

x32 - C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\

or x64 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Office\root\Office16\

Reboot, Open Indexing Options, note the items in the index, Open Outlook, Indexer starts working on items.

Seems Indexer needs Office in the %Path% in order to open the required files for MAPI16.

Note: On machines where Office 2016 installs correctly, the above path variable is not required, so it doesn't really fix the issue properly, but it does solve the problem in a reasonable manner.

• One temporary workaround that we have been using is the just rebuild the OST if you are using cached mode. 

• Also confirming NovacomExperts - Windows 10 Pro b1709/Outlook 2010/Exchange no G suiite. Latest updates have killed instant search.

Rebuilt the index twice, repaired Office 2010, no luck.

• Another 2 users machines upgraded to 1709 and lost instant search. This time upgrading to Office 2016 did the trick on one machine and remains to be seen what will be the fix on the other.

Look in the category of Microsoft office in Speiceworks community and sort by number of replies can see this issue has generated a lot of angst for a lot of people and yet does not seem to be an issue elsewhere. Seems odd its gernerated so much chatter here but not elsewhere that have seen so far, maybe I am not looking in the right place. 

• trilly

Exactly... I've been following the issue since day one, mainly for Google Apps Sync problems. But 650 replies in a thread must mean something...

Meanwhile, if I do find something positive about all this elsewhere, I'll report back here too.

Personnally I'll also step back on pushing recent updates for a while. Since june, I lost countless hours on Microsoft fiasco.. 

• Hey everyone. I think we may have found a solution.

After realising that search works by setting up a user as IMAP we thought that it simply could be the location of the pst on the disk. This is what we have done to resolve it:

1. Copy the "Google Apps Sync" folder from here: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Google to here: C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook
    2. Open Outlook and right click on the sync tool and select "Modify PST/Logs folder paths..."
    3. Set the PST folder path to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Google Apps Sync
    4. Set the Logs folder path to C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Google Apps Sync\Tracing (not sure if this is necessary)
    5. Click OK
    6. Go to Account Settings in Outlook
    7. Click Data Files
    8. Click Add
    9. Select PST and click OK
    10. Select the PST file in the new location (eg. C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\Google Apps Sync\GMS-....pst)
    11. Set new PST as default then remove the old reference
    12. click close and wait for the sync tool to re-sync
    13. Search!

This has worked for me. I'd love to know if this works for anyone else.

• Interesting change/forcing location seems to kick things into action. The other PC I mentioned we had an issue with also installed 2016 and placed the Office2016 path in the index and then started working.

Something else to explore...

• Just an update.  Today, I installed the November Windows update which included Office 2010 update KB4011197 and have not had any Outlook search issues.  I previously removed:  

KB 3203467

KB4011089

KB4011196

...because installation caused search issues.

I am running:

Outlook 2010, GSuite, Win7

• After spending far too much time with Indexing Options, IFilters, etc, I found that the following worked for me:

Add/Remove Programs >  Office > Modify > Repair Office ... as suggested above by +NovacomExperts+

Running Office 2010 Professional Plus on Win 10, x64.

• Wait, that's it? Do an Office repair? That really works? Does it work with people using G suite sync? I'm going to have to give this a try.

• Hot Diggety Dawg !!!  Spent 3 hours with Microsoft today trying to get Search to work in my Outlook 2010, finally gave up and found this stream.

I'm running Office Professional Plus 2010 on Win 10 V1709, x64 and repairing Office worked !  Thanks tonygraham and NovacomExperts

In my Control Panel, it was Programs & Features > Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 > Change > Repair

Started Outlook and it was already re-indexing (didn't have to reboot), after about 20 minutes indexing finished at 89,000 items and search now works again!

Hope it stays that way - will update if things change

• I believe this issue has returned on Windows 7/Outlook 2010/G Suite Sync. I had resolved this back in June by removing the relevant security updates, but now it has returned to make my life a nightmare.

I have found that removing Outlook from Indexing Options at File > Options > Search > Indexing Options somewhat fixes it. The searching isn't as fast, but hey, it works. And you aren't pestered by the consistent warning that Windows Search is disabled.

Anyone have any more information on this? The last few responses seem to mention Windows 10 as opposed to 7.

• Microsoft seems to be dedicated to making things not work properly with Office 2010. I have had a bunch of calls about other programs not being able to email using Outlook. Like when they try to email from Adobe Reader, it now just does nothing. Even Windows itself can't invoke Outlook to try to send something (right click a file and choose "Send to email recipient"). It just does nothing. 

I'm afraid if Microsoft keeps breaking things and not fixing them, that people will simply turn Windows Update off so their computer doesn't break on them overnight.

The search things is also still broken.

• I do have a fix for being able to email from other programs, like Adobe Reader or Excel and such. You go into Programs and Features, highlight Office 2010 and choose CHANGE and then choose to repair. Once it is done it will want a reboot. Get that reboot in and things work again.

• Search was working fine until yesterday. MS office 2010. Win7.after removing the following updates.

KB2956078

KB3203467

KB2597089

KB4011089

KB4011196

Unfortunately yesterday some update happened and now some of the users are facing issue with search partially. If any body knows which update broke the search again for updates released on JAN 9th 2018.

• Hi nawazbasheer - Please clarify: Are you using Gmail with MS Office 2010? This is a long thread I know but initially (way back in June) Outlook 2010 search was affected regardless, however MS fixed the search problem for those of us using Exchange but problem persists for those using Gmail therefore it is important to state this when posting. Please advise which is correct for your case.

• Yes. We are using Gmail Suite. Synced using Google app sync with MS office 2010.

• Thank you for the clarification!

• Looks like search in Outlook 2010 broke again since this week.

• ahaak: Please clarify your environment. Windows 7 or 10? Outlook running with Exchange or Gmail? These are important distinctions.

• IS there any Solution. We are getting partial result while search. Re indexing work for a few days and again it get broke. 

• Does simply upgrading to the newest Office fix the problem or is it the same broken mess we currently have with Office 2010?

Read these next...