Home
Join

46 Replies

• I think Spiceworks is the product of this - https://www.kansascityfed.org/PUBLICAT/newgovernance04/Powers04.pdfOpens a new window

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I wouldn't survive - those locations are way to liberal for me and I'd probably get beat up wearing my Make America Great Again cap.

Pepper graySpice (15) flagReport
  • Traffic in Austin is horrible as is the cost of living. Not a place for me. Plus, it gets way too warm. I would rather deal with -20F than 100F

Pepper graySpice (6) flagReport
  • Love the first comment:

" Sorry, but Austin is very very nice, they have the lovely Formula One track, they are weird, but they are in a the shithead state of Texas."

Pepper graySpice (7) flagReport
  • Bob Beatty wrote:

I wouldn't survive - those locations are way to liberal for me and I'd probably get beat up wearing my Make America Great Again cap.

Nah... nobody is going to beat you up. But I will heckle you unmercifully ;)

However, after sitting in traffic on 360, you might want to punch yourself in the face. Seriously, what kind of "highway" has multiple traffic signals all out of sync with one another? And forget about I-35. It's a parking lot all day long, pretty much every day. Full of trucks whose drivers refuse to use the 130 toll road. And I get that, because the tolls are stupid expensive and the road actually dumps you out on I-10 about 30 miles outside of San Antonio. Pretty useless. But, the speed limit is 85 there, so that's kind of fun/weird.

Pepper graySpice (8) flagReport
  • Austin, an island of sanity in a sea of crazy..

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • "Austin hasn't been the same since they closed Armadillo" is a lament that has echoed for decades and will reverberate forever between the buildings, old and new, downtown.

The Silicon Gulch has grown too big, too fast, and the infrastructure isn't keeping up. Traffic is horrible, lots of North-South routes, few East-West ones. The growth wasn't planned, it was a reaction rather than a response.

This is the nearest big city and I go there less and less as the hassle factor has increased. The urban sprawl surrounding it is ever-expanding to keep up with the influx of more people moving in daily to make the experience that much less because of the increasing volume of new arrivals.

Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • Michael (Netwrix) wrote:

....https://www.kansascityfed.org/PUBLICAT/newgovernance04/Powers04.pdfOpens a new window

What is the date for that, 2004?
  • Sounds like London but without the weather , the tube and good beer!

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • scottbrindley wrote:

Sounds like London but without the weather , the tube and good beer!

Beer?, got to be kidding. I must agree that the UK has some great beer, but some of the better brews in the world are coming out of Austin and surrounding areas of Texas right now. I know, everyone is loyal to local, but come on folks...expand your beer palate.
    Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • Weather-wise I could deal, food and drink I could deal but not the traffic.  No thanks, I will stay put.

• OJKid wrote:

scottbrindley wrote:

Beer?, got to be kidding. I must agree that the UK has some great beer, but some of the better brews in the world are coming out of Austin and surrounding areas of Texas right now. I know, everyone is loyal to local, but come on folks...expand your beer palate.
    I am quite fond of Kilt Lifter when I visit AZ but you need to come to London and attend the GBBF :-http://www.gbbf.org.uk/holding.htmlOpens a new window
  • Kris (Spiceworks) wrote:

Bob Beatty wrote:

I wouldn't survive - those locations are way to liberal for me and I'd probably get beat up wearing my Make America Great Again cap.

However, after sitting in traffic on 360, you might want to punch yourself in the face. Seriously, what kind of "highway" has multiple traffic signals all out of sync with one another? And forget about I-35. It's a parking lot all day long, pretty much every day. Full of trucks whose drivers refuse to use the 130 toll road. And I get that, because the tolls are stupid expensive and the road actually dumps you out on I-10 about 30 miles outside of San Antonio. Pretty useless. But, the speed limit is 85 there, so that's kind of fun/weird.

We get similar traffic up here in Chicago depending on which highway you take.  Not sure how my allergies would work down there so I'll stay put but I wouldn't mind visiting SWHQ
  • I miss Texas and I miss Austin, but my last trip there, in May of 2016, definitely made me want to punch myself in the face while I sat in traffic. Holy crap has it changed. I thought that Portland, OR was bad, but at least we have breaks during the day when the traffic isn't that bad. Austin...all day every day. Sad. It didn't used to be like that.

• Let's not, and say we did.

• OJKid wrote:

I would put up most of the San Diego Breweries against Austin ones any day. But I might just be spoiled living in the Mecca of Craft Breweries.

And yes, I have drank some of the beers from Austin.

• Wow, I wouldn't even know what to do with all that sweet income. 

• And miss the possible succession here in Cali. I'll stay... for now. 

• i would love to move to seattle, but austin is too hot for me. i dont do well anywhere that is above 70. but seattle is raining allll the time, plus valve is near there, and i would love to work there eventually.

• Kris (Spiceworks) wrote:

Bob Beatty wrote:

I wouldn't expect anything less from you Kris - but I do like partying with you guys 1 time a year.  I'll try to make it back down this year.
  • I haven't been back to Austin since 2003.

The traffic was completely insane back then. I imagine it's only gotten worse now.

• Nah, I'm good. Fun place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. The traffic situation is maddening and it's way too far from the water for me.

• I moved from the California central valley to western Washington because IT pays better here. I don't know if I'd move to TX. I've driven cross country and spent a night in Amarillo. I know I shouldn't gauge an entire state off of one town but man, that was weirdest town I've ever been in and I've spent time in Portland, OR.

• I was born and raised in Austin and still have yet to leave, it's definitely a great city but echoing many above, the traffic is an absolute nightmare and only getting worse. I feel pretty lucky to have grown up here tho :)

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
  • Coming from someone who lives in Houston.... the traffic in Austin is an improvement.  Generally Austin has a lot that is desirable.. it's like a southern Portland, OR.. just with better food, and worse public transit.  

I'm fairly partial to Houston at this point though. It's probably not a popular opinion.. and I'm not saying if the opportunity arose that I wouldn't work elsewhere, but I know I'd miss it.

• The tacos alone should be reason for anyone to move out here. Just sayin. 

Pepper graySpice (5) flagReport
  • they have been calling Austin Sillicon Hills for a while now.. but not I dont think I would like to move to Austin thanks ;)

• Jackie for Kaseya wrote:

The tacos alone should be reason for anyone to move out here. Just sayin. 

TORCHY'S TACOS!!!!
  • Bobbye Archer wrote:

Jackie for Kaseya wrote:

TORCHY'S TACOS!!!!
    But you can get Torchys a lot of places now.  They're slowly becoming national. 
  • I hear Austin has RATS! don't move there!!!

• OJKid wrote:

scottbrindley wrote:

Take a visit to Wisconsin sometime and let your taste buds do the talking :)
  • Austin is really cool. I'd live there over anywhere else in Texas. But its hard to leave california. I'm 2.5 hours from Santa Cruz and 1 hour from snowboarding, hard to beat that. Texas is very flat. I would miss the mountains

• NinJake wrote:

OJKid wrote:

scottbrindley wrote:

As long as you aren't referring to "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" ... ;^P
  • I wouldn't mind living in Austin ( preferably close to SW HQ so I don't have to commute to go & say hi there ). The climate doesn't matter as I've been used to far worse ( try and live in Southern China during summer ).

Then I'd have all I want, Spiceworks HQ nearby, lots of bacon eatable things and no more painful bones because of the cold weather.

• D8805 wrote:

NinJake wrote:

OJKid wrote:

scottbrindley wrote:

As long as you aren't referring to "the beer that made Milwaukee famous" ... ;^P
    Oh good lord no!
  • My favorite Austin seasonal local beer Live Oak Primus is out now. TABC restricts many beers from coming into Texas, but you will still see a pretty good selection of great beers available in the stores here. Check out Jester King Brewery. As for traffic, try not to fight it or get a bike. If you work North, live North. If you work South, live South. Don't attempt to cross the river during rush hour. Come bike with us and get comfortable riding https://www.facebook.com/socialcyclingaustin/Opens a new window

• Austin is still in Texas. No thank you.

• James485 wrote:

We get similar traffic up here in Chicago depending on which highway you take.  Not sure how my allergies would work down there so I'll stay put but I wouldn't mind visiting SWHQ
    Having suffered eight years in Austin, I can tell you first-hand that it is murder on people who are allergic to "Cedar" pollen.   It comes off of juniper bushes in clouds, and there are times it is so thick you could write your name on the hood of a car.  

We have relatives who still live there, and they complain about everything.  Taxes, "Nanny State" restrictions on everything (Austin would fit right in in California), liberal to the extreme, and did I mention taxes?

HOWEVER; Austin is where Alvin Ord first made his sandwiches, which (some say) were copied by Schlotzsky's.  And they were definitely copied by Zinsky's.  Alvin Ords and Zinskys are no more, and Schlotzsky's has gone national.  They still make a great ORIGINAL.  Now that I can get a great ORIGINAL sandwich in Dallas, there is no reason to want to live in Austin.

• Bobbye Archer wrote:

I miss Texas and I miss Austin, but my last trip there, in May of 2016, definitely made me want to punch myself in the face while I sat in traffic. Holy crap has it changed. I thought that Portland, OR was bad, but at least we have breaks during the day when the traffic isn't that bad. Austin...all day every day. Sad. It didn't used to be like that.

Yes, well, I remember when Portland's traffic wasn't nearly as bad as it now is, either.  217 wasn't a constant parking lot and I could actually walk (not run and/or have to dodge cars) across hwy 26 other than during the morning and evening commutes.  (Cue stories about remembering when there was actually a division between Beaverton, Aloha, Hillsboro, and Forest Grove when I was younger).  But, yes, it's still better than what I've run into when visiting Austin.

Personally, I'd prefer the communities outside of Fort Worth.  Had a great time down in that area during a visit a couple weeks ago.

• kylerobinson wrote:

Bobbye Archer wrote:

I miss Texas and I miss Austin, but my last trip there, in May of 2016, definitely made me want to punch myself in the face while I sat in traffic. Holy crap has it changed. I thought that Portland, OR was bad, but at least we have breaks during the day when the traffic isn't that bad. Austin...all day every day. Sad. It didn't used to be like that.

Yes, well, I remember when Portland's traffic wasn't nearly as bad as it now is, either.  217 wasn't a constant parking lot and I could actually walk (not run and/or have to dodge cars) across hwy 26 other than during the morning and evening commutes.  (Cue stories about remembering when there was actually a division between Beaverton, Aloha, Hillsboro, and Forest Grove when I was younger).  But, yes, it's still better than what I've run into when visiting Austin.

Personally, I'd prefer the communities outside of Fort Worth.  Had a great time down in that area during a visit a couple weeks ago.

I was raised in Corpus Christi. I was down there a few years ago and the traffic has decreased. The market isn't booming there at all. That's the place to be, especially if you can telecommute. :)
  • anthonyhamlet wrote:

My favorite Austin seasonal local beer Live Oak Primus is out now. TABC restricts many beers from coming into Texas, but you will still see a pretty good selection of great beers available in the stores here. Check out Jester King Brewery. As for traffic, try not to fight it or get a bike. If you work North, live North. If you work South, live South. Don't attempt to cross the river during rush hour. Come bike with us and get comfortable riding https://www.facebook.com/socialcyclingaustin/Opens a new window

Solid advice about not even trying to cross the river during rush hour. And thank you for sharing the biking link, I'm definitely going to be checking that out :)  
  • Fellow Houstonian here who's making plans to slowly migrate farther west with Austin being my first relocation and after a few years in Austin my plan is to go up to Denver or Boulder and then over and up to the Pacific Northwest in Seattle within the better part of a decade.

When it comes to beer, for you non-Texans you need to get some Shiner Bock when you come here.

• Joffles wrote:

Austin is really cool. I'd live there over anywhere else in Texas. But its hard to leave california. I'm 2.5 hours from Santa Cruz and 1 hour from snowboarding, hard to beat that. Texas is very flat. I would miss the mountains

I wouldn't expect you to, Joffles.  Only reason I'm moving to Austin is because I'm already in the state from Houston and would rather leave the state having come from Austin as opposed to anywhere else.

Was in Seattle for Memorial Day and really quite enjoyed seeing the Mountains in the background and it reaffirmed my wants and desire to make a move (slowly) within the next decade.

• Steven1414 wrote:

Bobbye Archer wrote:

Jackie for Kaseya wrote:

TORCHY'S TACOS!!!!
    But you can get Torchys a lot of places now.  They're slowly becoming national. 
    Maybe true, but just because you franchise a business to become national the quality will still be different in each place.  Do you really think (for example) New Yorkers are going to prepare tacos the same way we prepare them down here in the Southwest?
  • Steven1414 wrote:

Coming from someone who lives in Houston.... the traffic in Austin is an improvement.  Generally Austin has a lot that is desirable.. it's like a southern Portland, OR.. just with better food, and worse public transit.  

I'm fairly partial to Houston at this point though. It's probably not a popular opinion.. and I'm not saying if the opportunity arose that I wouldn't work elsewhere, but I know I'd miss it.

Yes, I'd also say the traffic in Austin is a vast improvement over our traffic here in Houston.  Yeah I'm sure I'll miss Houston for awhile when I do move out of the city since it has been home for roughly 29 years now but it shall pass and I'll be back from time to time to visit family and friends.
  • Haley for My Choice Software wrote:

I was born and raised in Austin and still have yet to leave, it's definitely a great city but echoing many above, the traffic is an absolute nightmare and only getting worse. I feel pretty lucky to have grown up here tho :)

Haley, would you say Austin's traffic is worse than ours here in Houston?  I kind of don't agree, I go to Austin a couple of times a year at varying times in a day and it doesn't usually seem to bad at all to me.

Read these next...

• Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Simple command to monitor Windows 10 temperature?

Hardware

I feel like this has probably been address before, although I was wondering if someone is aware of a simple command I can run to report the internal temperature of a Windows 10 PC?I think all computers monitor the temperature, although I've only found thi...

• Remote access to DVR?

Remote access to DVR?

Security

Hi!I have an older Hikvision DVR that I need to provide remote access to. The users would be mainly accessing it from their smartphones. I tested their software, iVMS, by assigning one of my public IP's to the DVR and it worked fine. However the issue is ...

• Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Snap! -- Survival Kits, Forest Bubble on Mars, AI Movie Plots, Leprosy & Livers

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 6, 1907, Mathematical Logician J. Barkley Rosser Born (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 6, 1998, International Space Station assemb...

• Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 6 December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

Today in History: 6 December 1240 – Mongols led by Batu Khan occupy and destroy Kyiv after an 8 day siege; out of 50,000 people in the city only 2,000 survive 1849 – Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery in Maryl...

• The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

The most boring but interesting Phishing Attempt I've seen

Security

Hello There,We've recently had a phishy email come through to one of our employees with an attachment to something work related. But here's the interesting part: The email was spoofed. When checked, the address was that of our own domain, however the emai...