Home
Join

21 Replies

•    Apple and removing the "antiquated single-use audio standard" headphone jack??

What about the credit card reader? 

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Tim-H wrote:

Apple and removing the "antiquated single-use audio standard" headphone jack??

Square will work with the Lightning headphone jack adapter. Of course, it will dangle off the end of it and be ridiculous to use, but it will work.

My guess is that Square will create something to adapt to this situation.

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • I do like the Elite Slice, I can see a number of modules other than the storage and audio modules that are currently planned to be created that could be added onto it.  

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • ghijkmnop wrote:

Tim-H wrote:

Square will work with the Lightning headphone jack adapter. Of course, it will dangle off the end of it and be ridiculous to use, but it will work.

Square already has a better solution than the headphone jack-based model, which allows you to use chip-based EMV cards, as well as NFC such as Apple Pay.  It's $50, wireless, works on all platforms, and what most businesses should be switching to now that EMV chip based transactions are becoming enforced.

https://squareup.com/contactless-chip-readerOpens a new window

• Walter1862 wrote:

I do like the Elite Slice, I can see a number of modules other than the storage and audio modules that are currently planned to be created that could be added onto it.  

I think it looks awesome as well!  For the price, style appeal, and what you get feature wise, it looks like an excellent product.  The wireless charging feature is top notch.  The real kicker will be how serviceable it is, which should be better than the Mac Mini because, well, Apple.  If this product is reliable and easy to fix, the PC clone version of the Mac Mini will be excellent.  I'd love to buy one of these and use it as an HTPC.  The aesthetics would look great in a high-end setup.
  • CorruptedParity wrote:

ghijkmnop wrote:

Tim-H wrote:

Square already has a better solution than the headphone jack-based model, which allows you to use chip-based EMV cards, as well as NFC such as Apple Pay.  It's $50, wireless, works on all platforms, and what most businesses should be switching to now that EMV chip based transactions are becoming enforced.

Yeah-- I saw that on Square's site, but the headphone jack device is free (and absolutely, fifty bucks is a paltry sum). Free is what will draw new customers to the service--and also how they market themselves on TV.
  • ghijkmnop wrote:

CorruptedParity wrote:

ghijkmnop wrote:

Tim-H wrote:

Yeah-- I saw that on Square's site, but the headphone jack device is free (and absolutely, fifty bucks is a paltry sum). Free is what will draw new customers to the service--and also how they market themselves on TV.
    Yeah I agree, you definitely can't argue with free.  And I'm not going to defend the iPhone headphone jack debacle either, as I still can't accept that it was a necessary change.  I'm sure Square had a plan to eventually have models they had to charge for anyway.  The free model brought a giant customer base on board quickly, and this seems like another logical step.  It would have been nice to have both options regardless.
  • Tim-H wrote:

Coming soon, the new Square Card Reader w Bluetooth 4.0.  Designed specially to broadcast your sensitive credit card info to the Man In The Middle.
    Pepper graySpice (8) flagReport
  • I had to go google cyberflanêurs.

• Wasn't expecting to see that many votes for Mint, but then again, looking at what it was up against, it was an easy pick - even though I don't use Linux much, if at all, it definitely looks sweet to me.

• Hey gang!

Lots of excitement around the HP Slice. Check out this webcast with an SME from HP talking through specifics of what the Slice can achieve:  https://event.on24.com/eventRegistration/EventLobbyServlet?target=reg20.jsp&partnerref=HP&ev...Opens a new window

• Anyone else find these two sentences this close together just a little bit funny?

Aaron W (Spiceworks) wrote:

"...a camera processor that runs 100 billion operations in 25 milliseconds.    

The new Apple Watch Series 2 features iterative advances on the original Apple Watch with a new and faster dual-core processor..."

Kind of like, "look how amazing this camera processor is!!!!!" Followed by, "and oh, yeah, we have a faster processor in the watch."
  • Alright, the naming is weird and sounds like stuff i'd hear at a barbecue on the beach but I'm down with the HP Slice and wave.  

Immediately scrolled to the linux link and started downloading.  I've been waiting for this and cannot wait to play.  I'm stupid excited right now.  I have a lot of small workforces and such that are looking for alternates to their old XP machines and this might be just the right push to get them to upgrade and move away from that stuff.

Apple is butt, the end

• Tim-H wrote:

Apple sees no future in credit cards. They're probably encouraging everything to be digital payments via some app.

The way I would see it... the merchant produces a QR code or something of the sort, on their device. Then you scan the code with your device (using something like Android/Apple Pay) and then it charges you.

• jessevas wrote:

Coming soon, the new Square Card Reader w Bluetooth 4.0.  Designed specially to broadcast your sensitive credit card info to the Man In The Middle.
    Spiced you up for making me laugh, but also think.  Wait a minute...you made me think. 

That HP Slice looks great.  Might need to get my paws on one to...um, test?  Yeah, that's it...test.
  • BBigford wrote:

Tim-H wrote:

Apple sees no future in credit cards. They're probably encouraging everything to be digital payments via some app.

The way I would see it... the merchant produces a QR code or something of the sort, on their device. Then you scan the code with your device (using something like Android/Apple Pay) and then it charges you.

Yeah, they don't see the credit card reader as being their problem. Besides, they want their iWallet to be used instead. So smaller mom and pop shops either have to adapt to Apple's hardware change, not upgrade to iPhone 7, or find a workaround (keep their own phone and hardware and just use it on their wi-fi).

People resisted the urge to use credit cards/debit cards over cash for a long time... now folks are resisting changing to electronic wallets and Apple is wanting to push them that way.

• If it breathes or runns electric current it can be hacked. - That's the law nowadays.

• The Spiceworks Website Checker reports that... it's website is down!

What an irony for the link to the tool that checks whether the website is up to be down.

Well played.

https://community.spiceworks.com/tools/website-down-check/

• dose anyone think its weird that the slice is never plugged into anything? i mean it looks cool but its going to look like every other computer as soon as you plug it into all the things! OctoPC

• They're probably hoping that, in addition to the Slice, you'll purchase their monitor that can power it via a USB-C connection.  After that, it's as wireless as you want it to be, or can afford.  With the expansion modules that are "Coming Soon", you really could have a one wire solution...okay two.  One to power the monitor and one from the monitor to the Slice for power.  It'd be interesting if they come out with a battery pack module as well.  I can envision some usage scenarios for that.

• I think the HP Elite x3 should have made the list.

Read these next...