Home
Join

9 Replies

• "This week's new IT products" looks like it's gonna be an excellent and genuinely useful roundup series, like Snap!

How do I subscribe?! (-:

Pepper graySpice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Guy of Edgware wrote:

"This week's new IT products" looks like it's gonna be an excellent and genuinely useful roundup series, like Snap!

How do I subscribe?! (-:

Follow the forum it's in.  Or just follow Aaron W (Spiceworks).
    EDIT:  BTW, Aaron, Great job giving us interesting / useful content in the features!
    Pepper graySpice (3) flagReport
  • Even though I found something worth voting for this time, the new products poll still lacks the "Meh..." option.
    Pepper graySpice (6) flagReport
  • Meh

• I will never purchase Huawei equipment.  I will quit before pulling the trigger and purchasing Huawei.   If I find it in my network, I'm tearing it out, taking it out back, and going Office Space on it.   I do not trust Huawei at all.   Here is some evidence as to why:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052970204644504576651503577823210Opens a new window

Huawei claims to be employee-owned, but the Chinese people do not have a say as to what they can believe in or what their opinion is.   Its whatever the government tells you it is.   Therefore, if the Chinese government wants you to do something in your products, you do it and don't ask questions about it.   It is also rational to believe that Huawei would therefore put in backdoors in all of their products that will "phone home" so that the Chinese have a way into private and enterprise networks when they see fit, and the traffic to you would look absolutely normal.

Do I need my tin foil hat?

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • NerdyDad wrote:

Do I need my tin foil hat?

Maybe, but fairly easy to see. just put something from them in a position on your network where you can see what it's sending out.  The Chinese can't visit something that they don't know exists, so as per your post, the device would need to phone home to let them know hey I'm over here.  If you don't catch a call home with something monitoring network packets, then I'd say you need to start investing in the foil industry ;)  Of course the same could be said of American products that have their shipments 'intercepted' by the NSA so that they can be tweaked. http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-gettin...Opens a new window

Pepper graySpice (2) flagReport
  • I was excited about the Surface clone until I saw the price is still a bit too high.

Tesla GPUs are definitely the hot topic. Excited. :D

Pepper graySpice (1) flagReport
  • Sean Wolsey wrote:

Guy of Edgware wrote:

"This week's new IT products" looks like it's gonna be an excellent and genuinely useful roundup series, like Snap!

How do I subscribe?! (-:

Follow the forum it's in.  Or just follow Aaron W (Spiceworks).
    EDIT:  BTW, Aaron, Great job giving us interesting / useful content in the features!

No problem Sean Wolsey! That's what I'm here for. :) 

• The majority of IT equipment is made in China these days, even if it's sold under a Western brand name. There are also sources in Vietnam, South Korea, Taiwan and Hong Kong if you prefer, though. 

Read these next...

• They had ONE job!

They had ONE job!

Security

Was trying to be a nice IT person.Transferred user computer profile from one desktop to another. All went well, no real issues, just a couple of apps the user needed to install, like Citrix Workspace. So I left local admin rights for the users account to ...

• Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I don’t know about you, but I am feeling the Christmas Spirit.  The tree is up, the packages are wrapped, the house and yard are decorated.  And the Eggnog is spiked!  Happy Friday Y’all! Just a reminder, if ...

• SQL server slowing at the same time every day

SQL server slowing at the same time every day

Databases

We're working on domain environment with SQL server 2019 Recently users started to complain that the system slows down every day at the same hour.  The actions we checked:1. Backups do not run at the same time2. Checking loads on the server3. Checking log...

• Teaching email in primary schools

Teaching email in primary schools

Collaboration

Hi All, The curriculum that one of my schools follows involves teaching them about emails. We have Google Workspace, so I can create them an email address, but as they are young students, I don't want to bog them down with the long school email address an...

• Snap! -- Hyundai Hacks, Steam Spacecraft, Controller Hoodies, Brain Implants

Snap! -- Hyundai Hacks, Steam Spacecraft, Controller Hoodies, Brain Implants

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 1, 1971, Project Gutenberg Begins (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 1, 2013, China launches its first lunar rover (Read more HERE.)...