Home
Join

346 Replies

  • As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I am in Newcastle, so far so good for us up here. but i have seen what is going on and could not believe it.

    Hope everyone in the affected cities is ok.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    lol yeah! ... and my best running trainers!

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I hope everyone's OK.

    We seem okay here at the moment, but I have a feeling the local idiots might try something in the next few days.  They'll use anything as an excuse.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • not much in Coventry..

    completely different attitudes here, than another forum i'm on. apparently it's all the governments fault and they didn't do enough to stop it etc etc.

    i cant say i buy into that argument. from where i'm sitting, it was started from a gang fight, and then the opportunists jumped on the bandwagon and away it went!

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • If they try anything at my office, they're in for a shock...

    In response to Vee.Hexx, the kids have been feral and untouchable for years - now we're seeing the conclusion. And we're ALL to blame, not just the Gubbermint.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bobster2UK wrote:

    Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    lol yeah! ... and my best running trainers!

    maybe this may be useful reading just incase?

    http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1284

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    lol yeah! ... and my best running trainers!

    maybe this may be useful reading just incase?

    http://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/show/1284

    Well I made a start by stocking up on lager ;) may not get much further than that

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    If they try anything at my office, they're in for a shock...

    In response to Vee.Hexx, the kids have been feral and untouchable for years - now we're seeing the conclusion. And we're ALL to blame, not just the Gubbermint.

    You're dead right...

    There's some right nasty little b*stards around here, it was only a matter of time... we can only hope the W. Mids Police stamp on it quick.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • But the Government's screwed isn't it?

    They've been complaining bitterly about the heavy handed treatment of the public in Syria and Bahrain.  They can't use the "do as we say, not as we do" trick and use heavy handed tactics themselves.

    Unfortunately, I feel that stamping on these little scrotes is the only thing that's going to work.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I live a mile or so away from Ealing, its going to get interesting ... I hope everyone is okay.

     

    In my opinion i think they should send out a broadcast on all stations saying ''Anyone on the streets after 11/12 will have be ran down or shot'' ... then they should get the military in and spray down anyone on the streets after that time. Shot dead. Thats the end of the problem, children, teens, adults ... anyone who is on the streets will be automatically infiltrated with the rioters and be taken out. period.

     

    But unfortunately i know how PC this country is and that will never happen... so for now we sit and watch a s**t government twiddle their thumbs and go have holidays whilst this is going on... oh whilst the lib dems bark and sit for treats in the corner.

    Spice (4) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I dont think it will go as far as Newcastle, but stranger things have happened lol...

    and we have a lot of chavs looking for any excuse to cause trouble...

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  •  

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    lol yeah! ... and my best running trainers!

    Hope they're not JD sports ones!

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bboonie wrote:

     

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    Glen8990 wrote:

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    As far as I can tell there's been no burning stuff here in Birmingham, just looting... saw a load of JD Sports-branded clothes hangers strewn about the pavement outside the train station. No visible Police presence where I walked although I suspect there's loads of them in and around the Bull Ring.

    Walking back through town will be interesing this evening...

    got your bullet proofs just in case?

    lol yeah! ... and my best running trainers!

    Hope they're not JD sports ones!

    Low blow haha

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ryan.Johnson wrote:

    I live a mile or so away from Ealing, its going to get interesting ... I hope everyone is okay.

     

    In my opinion i think they should send out a broadcast on all stations saying ''Anyone on the streets after 11/12 will have be ran down or shot'' ... then they should get the military in and spray down anyone on the streets after that time. Shot dead. Thats the end of the problem, children, teens, adults ... anyone who is on the streets will be automatically infiltrated with the rioters and be taken out. period.

     

    But unfortunately i know how PC this country is and that will never happen... so for now we sit and watch a s**t government twiddle their thumbs and go have holidays whilst this is going on... oh whilst the lib dems bark and sit for treats in the corner.

    gunning people down won't solve anything...LOL

     

    the thing began as a protest against unlawful police shootings!

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Would never happen in Scotland, we are all too pissed to riot!

    Police should come out in force, using water cannons and non lethal bullets, fight fire with fire!

    These are the type of people with low level intelligence and they wont listen to reason. They are sheep following the crowd.

    I heard mostly younger teens being goaded on by older youths in cars, to burn and loot. Surely if you want justice for this guy being shot, burning down the city isnt going to achieve it?

    The guy is apparently a known gangster who carries guns.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ross Turbin wrote:

    the thing began as a protest against unlawful police shootings!

    What unlawful police shooting would that be then?

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Ross Turbin wrote:

     

    Ryan.Johnson wrote:

    gunning people down won't solve anything...LOL

     

    the thing began as a protest against unlawful police shootings!

    Unlawful shootings??? the dude had a gun on him?!?!?!? 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • There has been a lot of call for Army intervention, this is a social problem I dont think letting a load of post-war squaddies about on the street with guns is going to sort this problem at all.

     

    I dont agree in any way with the mindless looting, but when you bring a generation up respecting only material possessions, then take their jobs away, therefor their means of obtaining them, what do you expect.

     

    I might be shouting for nothing here, but what these people are doing is not anarchy, it is not anarchism, it is people wanting free stuff.

     

    What I will say though is that young people in poor areas have less chances in life than their parents did, and boy are people p*ssed off about that.

    Spice (5) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Sorry, MissLL can't agree with you 100% on that.

    What I see here in the area where this has kicked off in Nottingham is a load of young people that don't want to do anything and expect everything handed to them on a plate. They get their material possessions through petty crime/drug dealing and seem proud of this.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • From one of the many news articles I've been reading one looter was heard to yell "We're taking our taxes back!" as he appeared out of a shop and ran past a reporter...

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • i dont understand why there riotiong in different cities if it was started by the shooting in tottenham

     

    i was proud to be british but with these around i dunno anymore

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Alex1318 wrote:

    i dont understand why there riotiong in different cities if it was started by the shooting in tottenham

     

    i was proud to be british but with these around i dunno anymore

    [mode=cynical]

    Because it's a good enough excuse?

    [/mode]

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • My company runs the maintenance for Sainsbury’s - so far many stores in and around London have been closed (mostly convenience stores - at last count we had 18 down). Also woke up this morning to reports one of our depots was on fire - turns out to be the Sony depot in the same industrial park.

    My Fiancé has now advised me the kids in Essex are trying to organize something down south end way for tonight as they don’t want to be out done by the rest of thr country.

    Funniest thing I heard on radio this morning was "rubber bullets and water cannons were used in Ireland recently to good effect - we don’t molly cuddle the Irish so why should we molly cuddle the English" this was a councillor in one of  the effect areas I think making this gem of a statement.

    As for Scotland not doing anything like this - well for Glasgow at least - it’s because the police are used to riot control and don’t let crowds gather regardless in Glasgow area. look what happened in the Park few months ago - charged in with horses and riot gear just because people stayed in the park an hour or two too long.

    I worry if the bring the army out on the streets - these guys will not and should not hold back. Shot at them and the will return fire. throw rocks or petrol bombs and hell mend you when the catch you - but once the dust settles then the army will be made to be a escape goat for any "innocent" they happen to hit in the fight.

    The police in London are ineffectual as every time they try to control rioters and something bad happens then they get blamed - the get taken to court. who can blame them for holding there hands up?

    rant over :)

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    Sorry, MissLL can't agree with you 100% on that.

    What I see here in the area where this has kicked off in Nottingham is a load of young people that don't want to do anything and expect everything handed to them on a plate. They get their material possessions through petty crime/drug dealing and seem proud of this.

    I dont disagree with you either. It would be very naive of me to think that the majority of these people are not just wanting free stuff and I did say that, but the general air of discontent has arisen from poor opportunities for young people which seems to be spreading throughout Europe.  I dont think this would have kicked off as bad as it did had other areas in Europe not shown the UK how, unfortunately, they seem to have taken that as lets rob JB Sports and Footlocker. :( Sad Times.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • To re-post my comment from the Water Cooler thread:

    Dessembrae wrote:

    My view on it would be seen or oppressive, draconian and borderline facist.....

     

    Personally, I would sent in the police and the army and round up the mob by what ever means necessary. Said mob would then be imprissoned for a minimum sentence of 5yrs with higher sentences being issued to those who can be proven to be causing deliberate criminal damage. Anyone found assaulting a police officer or member of the emergency services who are trying to deal with the fires gets an instant 10yr sentence. No early releases, no chance of parole.

    In cases where criminal damage is caused, the people involved have assets claimed and liquidised to offset the costs of restoring order. Personal cars, electrical goods, bank balances and savings all liquidated to pay for this. There is simply no excuse, no grounds for what they have done so no quarter should be given. As a country we are too soft of criminals that needs to change.

    This kind of mindless violence needs to be put down hard and fast. The copycat riots in other cities in the country need to be shut down too before it gets out of control. The mass groups rioting believe themselves to be untouchable by the law due to wearing masks and being in such a large group. That changes massively when you filter them down with Police and Army forces, trap them in a small area and drag them out one at a time, arrest them, remove their masks and throw them in a holding vehicle.

    • Resist arrest - longer sentence
    • Assault the police/army - longer sentence
    • Stab/shoot at police/army - minimum sentence 20yrs, no early release, no parole.

    If people will not respect the authority of the Police force in this country anymore then make the punishments so harsh that people will not make the mistake again in future.

    ____________

    Ok, so a youth was shot dead, he was a known gang member, was armed, resisted arrest. He was a known trouble maker, I cannot feel any sympathy for someone who chooses that life style. If you join a gang, arm yourself and prey off other people no one will weep when you come a cropper.

    The sooner we get tougher on criminals in this country the better.

    Spice (3) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • From BBC Monitoring:

    "0930:

    Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Ramin Mehmanparast has urged the UK government to avoid "harsh confrontation" and exercise restraint when dealing with demonstrators."

    Gets back to what I said earlier.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • MissLL wrote:

    What I will say though is that young people in poor areas have less chances in life than their parents did, and boy are people p*ssed off about that.

    Sorry but come on - there are proper pool people in this country who do not go and riot. I have seen / come from proper poor areas - where family’s have grown up with no jobs for generations.

    Just because London is bubble where they expect jobs instead of earning them does not give them a right to go and nick stuff. And really - they should be sent to some poor areas of the uk to live and get a reality check.

    I cant stand this excuse being used for bad behaviour. Did anyone watch the the scheme on bbc? That is what it means to be poor. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Scheme_%28TV_series%29

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Here is the reddit post, it cointains really good info

    http://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/jcob8/this_is_serious_reddit_london_riots_spreading

    And apparently there are no water cannons in mainland England. (really?) as they are all in Northern Ireland. And moving them over isnt an option or so they say.

    I would say teargas, rubber bullets and watercanons would help for now. But it will never be a long term sollution. What is? I have no idea.

    The guy who got shot was a known gang member, drug dealer and carried a gun (shot at police as well?). The reason the looting is spreading is apparently because gangs are e-peening their loot and the other gangs are hard pressed to do better.

    Time to start a penal colony on the South Sandwich islands? I heard the weather is lovely there this time of the year.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    Alex1318 wrote:

    i dont understand why there riotiong in different cities if it was started by the shooting in tottenham

     

    i was proud to be british but with these around i dunno anymore

    [mode=cynical]

    Because it's a good enough excuse?

    [/mode]

    oppertunistic theft :@

     

    its pathetic really

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Why have the news broadcasts stopped pointing out that the lad who was killed was armed?

     

    There seems to be a blame the police culture starting IMHO.  It seems to me that yobs were just waiting for an excuse.

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    government should cut the funding to prisoners and only fund the maintenance, wages and comfort of the officers at the jail. prisoners should have only a toilet, bed and a wash basin in there cells... 

    Prisoners daily active is working on re-building roads, sewers, garbage sites...

    Not working out at a gym, scheming on a bench or playing basket ball/football.

    grrr this country makes me angry sometimes 

    Spice (7) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bollo wrote:

    All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    That's incredibly like kettling, and they got into trouble for that during the G8 protests...

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • It will be a shame if the police get blamed in the end - and that is my main worry for the army - if you want no one to get hurt - let the police finish the job and expect lots of damage. If you want it stopped now - let the army deal with it but dont blame them if someone gets hurt.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    Bollo wrote:

    All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    That's incredibly like kettling, and they got into trouble for that during the G8 protests...

    How else do you break a rioting mob other than through containment, herding and then removing individuals or small groups at a time for arrest and detention. Frankly, I have no problem with the police doing this in a riot situation. All these idiots are doing is driving up insurance costs even further, closing down small businesses and making it harder to convince people to invest in the area as it is too great a risk.

    In the end they are harming themselves, their community and others outside the area with higher overall insurance premiums do to the payouts to people who have had property damaged/destroyed/stolen in the riots.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  •  

    Huw3481 wrote:

    Bollo wrote:

    All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    That's incredibly like kettling, and they got into trouble for that during the G8 protests...

    Yes it is but it was very effective, the police can not be hold responsible for other peoples actions and fatality... if they didn't want to be hurt they shouldn't have been there, simple as... 

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • First thing to do is abolish the human rights law for anyone who breaks the law.

    Whilst I would like to see martial law imposed and offenders shot on site, it should only be brought in as a last resort.  It is sad to say that the looters only understand violence.

    Unfortunately, our army is overstreched and out of the country.  Any country who wants us to be soft on the rioters should offer to take them off our hands.  I'm sure the looters would enjoy living in Iran and their no nonsense punishments. 

    If our prisons are overcrowded, lets use some old ships and moor them out in the middle of the Atlantic.

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • ivanidea wrote:

    First thing to do is abolish the human rights law for anyone who breaks the law.

    Whilst I would like to see martial law imposed and offenders shot on site, it should only be brought in as a last resort.  It is sad to say that the looters only understand violence.

    Unfortunately, our army is overstreched and out of the country.  Any country who wants us to be soft on the rioters should offer to take them off our hands.  I'm sure the looters would enjoy living in Iran and their no nonsense punishments. 

    If our prisons are overcrowded, lets use some old ships and moor them out in the middle of the Atlantic.

    these4 alell sound like good ideas

     

    unfortunately we all know our government would never take these steps

     

    can you imagine cameron declaring martial law??? no neither can i

    there to worried about re-election

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Bollo wrote:

     

    Huw3481 wrote:

    Bollo wrote:

    All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    That's incredibly like kettling, and they got into trouble for that during the G8 protests...

    Yes it is but it was very effective, the police can not be hold responsible for other peoples actions and fatality... if they didn't want to be hurt they shouldn't have been there, simple as... 

    I'm not saying that it's not effective, nor am I saying I don't agree with its use.

    All I'm saying is that they got seriously slated for it during the G8 protests as apparently people have rights...

    I'm with Ivan. If you break the law you've immediately lost all your rights.  Then all the do-gooders can stick it where the sun don't shine.

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • ivanidea wrote:


    If our prisons are overcrowded, lets use some old ships and moor them out in the middle of the Atlantic.

    Honestly, I didn't mean to fire that torpedo...

    Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    Bollo wrote:

     

    Huw3481 wrote:

    Bollo wrote:

    All the police have too do it pull up there riot shields pull out there batons and march forward, searching each and every building for looters, confine them to one area and then press forward again until they have no where too run, then beat them on the legs and arms with batons throw them into the police vans and ship them off too jail for 5 years...

    That's incredibly like kettling, and they got into trouble for that during the G8 protests...

    Yes it is but it was very effective, the police can not be hold responsible for other peoples actions and fatality... if they didn't want to be hurt they shouldn't have been there, simple as... 

    I'm not saying that it's not effective, nor am I saying I don't agree with its use.

    All I'm saying is that they got seriously slated for it during the G8 protests as apparently people have rights...

    I'm with Ivan. If you break the law you've immediately lost all your rights.  Then all the do-gooders can stick it where the sun don't shine.

    I agree with this why give some one a privilege that is human rights, if they infringe other people when committing crime?

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Scum - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456065

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Minor Hijack - those of you that got here from the Water Cooler might want to spice this up...

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • If they are no good in a riot situation - what else are the conservatives for?

    He must be wishing he never took the job - how unlucky is that? wide spread riots with the first conservative gov for how long? :p

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • PM's just been on, there'll be 16,000 Police in London tonight...

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Huw3481 wrote:

    Scum - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14456065

    that is awful i think the original lad that helped was actually being decent then saw what everyone else was doing and joined in

     

    i hate chavs :)

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  •  

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    PM's just been on, there'll be 16,000 Police in London tonight...

     really and will they be as ineffective as normal???

     

    numbers count for nothing if they cant do anything because of human rights and fear of being sued or condemned

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Alex1318 wrote:

     

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    PM's just been on, there'll be 16,000 Police in London tonight...

     really and will they be as ineffective as normal???

     

    numbers count for nothing if they cant do anything because of human rights and fear of being sued or condemned

    Let's hope not because if that many cannot handle it tonight we're all f*cked...

    Wished I'd driven into work now...

    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  •  

    Alex1318 wrote:

     

    Bobster2UK wrote:

    PM's just been on, there'll be 16,000 Police in London tonight...

     really and will they be as ineffective as normal???

     

    numbers count for nothing if they cant do anything because of human rights and fear of being sued or condemned

    Alex is right, you can put 100,000 police on the streets tonight and they will still have rioters smashing things and throwing rocks because they know the police wont touch them... as soon as the police start to charge in at them... well all i can say is "run rabbit run"

    They are like children  so they must be treated like children... 

    children push and push and push there parents too the limits but when the child pushes too much and crosses the line then the parent will punish them (smack on the bum or back of legs, sent to bed without dinner, no bacon ice cream and being grounded)

    The government is the parent they keep telling other parents how to treat there kids and there not allowed too smack them for being naughty, the government (parent) wont smack it's kids (the rioters) when they cross the line... thus you get greedy selfish kids (rioters) who will take control of the parents (government) 

     

    this is what we are seeing right now selfish kids (rioters) over throwing there parents (government) because the parents (government) are too soft on them.

     

    Phew that was weird lol 

    Spice (1) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down

Read these next...