Home
Join

50 Replies

• Why are you checking your email at 2am? Go to bed!

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I put my phone to sync my email manually so I don't have to worry about that.  I really miss on the modern smart phones how my Treo with Windows Mobile used to have a range for the frequency to check during work hours and off work hours.  I could set a more frequent sync during work and a lesser one after work. 

• Yeah ignore it!

• I get my Spiceworks email about system status on the smart phone, so I have to let email flow to the smartphone continuously, AND, I need to check the emails when they come in to make sure that its not a real system outage situation.

• I don't suppose you've actually asked them to either take you off their list or e-mail at a civilised time?

• You could email to a text message.  You could assign critical updates to come through that way and disable email at night for all the junk.

• I send out messages at 2am weekly to thousands of people and have never had a complaint. I'd suggest letting the sender know. Also, Spiceworks isn't a heartbeat monitoring service, you might want to consider using Nagios with Spiceworks to notify you immediately by text when something goes down.

• bosclarke wrote:

How many of you are annoyed by getting non-critical notifications from vendors via email in the middle of the night?     Its one thing to get an email from your monitoring system that a server is down.   its another to get a Customer Survey feedback request at 2am from a vendor that you called last week for support.

With all the information we provide to the vendors when we register our products, why can't they program their systems to send out their notices between 8-5 M-F?

I am seriously considering boycotting vendors that repeatedly do this.

My wife was complaining about this very issue as she was wondering who the heck was messaging me at 2 in the morning... definitely a bother for me, but one i always figured was worth the crap to make sure i'm getting the important stuff when i need to. i've had to get creative with filters and notification settings on both my xchang server and my phone.

• The reason they do 2am is because of congestion - easier to blast your emails out at non-peak hours.  I'll get our email person to chime in with more details.

• Also, maybe use either rules or a completely separate email to segregate the bat-phone email from the regular stuff?

• I just turn my email notifications off on my phone (I'd sleep through them anyway). Then in the morning I go through them.

• Rivitir wrote:

I just turn my email notifications off on my phone (I'd sleep through them anyway). Then in the morning I go through them.

+1

• I wake up in the morning to 10-20 emails a night and I sleep right through them. Unless my phone starts to ring, my brain has better things to be doing.

• Also, what about Vendor's in different time zones. Might be 9AM for them.

I'm experimenting with different ways to get the messages to my phone just now but basically I set up a separate gmail account that my phone picks up. The account that receives other mails, including notifications from SW has rules to only forward Business critical alerts to the gmail account the phone uses.

• A lot of marketers don't think of the end user. When I market it's never before 9am Eastern time (to U.S. audience).  I figure everyone gets up in the morning, has a lot of email bunched together from the overnight hours and deletes all of them in one fell swoop.  

• Rivitir wrote:

Why are you checking your email at 2am? Go to bed!

and download a life! 

• bosclarke wrote:

I get my Spiceworks email about system status on the smart phone, so I have to let email flow to the smartphone continuously, AND, I need to check the emails when they come in to make sure that its not a real system outage situation.

You'd be better served using something like Intermapper for monitoring your network and notifying you of outages.

•  

Rivitir wrote:

Why are you checking your email at 2am? Go to bed!

FOR REAL! I turn my email notifications off. My alerts come in via text.

• SMC64 wrote:

You could email to a text message.  You could assign critical updates to come through that way and disable email at night for all the junk.

+1. All critical process failure notifications are sent to my smartphone as text messages which have a different (and much louder) sound that wakes me up.  If I woke up every time I got an email to my phone, I would never ever sleep.  Ever. 

I average 2000 emails per night - server notifications, NWS severe weather updates (for one of our products), backup job completion notices, newsletters, and other junk.  Most of it I don't have to read (especially the NWS updates) but I still get them all throughout the night.  I typically check email from home right before I go to sleep, then anything else can wait until morning or they can call or text in an emergency.

• This is EXACTLY why I love (and am stuck with) a blackberry. In the bb filter rules you can set various sender/subject/message keyword rules that change the message to "level 1". In your various audio profiles you then set a "level 1" sound. In addition you can also set per sender based message sounds. AND when you plug in to charge it can auto switch the audio profile.

As a result, my blackberry has been in PHONE ONLY mode for a couple of years.(yes, even in the day time...that's a different thread about not being a slave to the buzz) The only sounds I get are my bad alerts and my boss. When my blackberry goes of at 2 am, it absolutely is something I need to address.

A great alternative is pagerduty.com ( I'm not affiliated but I played with the service when in beta). Your system emails them, then they email,SMS and CALL you until you acknowledge, all based on your own rules. They even support multi tech rotation and escalation!

Bottom line, set up some rules or tech that works for you, then get some much deserved uninterrupted sleep. You health depends on it!!!

• rmuniz9336 wrote:

Rivitir wrote:

I just turn my email notifications off on my phone (I'd sleep through them anyway). Then in the morning I go through them.

+1

+1 

• Bob Beatty wrote:

rmuniz9336 wrote:

Rivitir wrote:

+1

+1 

+1,

But I do realize that some people do have to take notifications overnight.  If you fall into that category, sounds like you need to find some rules that will allow notifications you really want them, as listed above.

•  

bosclarke wrote:

How many of you are annoyed by getting non-critical notifications from vendors via email in the middle of the night?     Its one thing to get an email from your monitoring system that a server is down.   its another to get a Customer Survey feedback request at 2am from a vendor that you called last week for support.

With all the information we provide to the vendors when we register our products, why can't they program their systems to send out their notices between 8-5 M-F?

I have recently been getting one at 4:30 AM . My wife wants to kill my phone now.

for about a year during the recession i had noticed that most automated updates were M-F during acceptable hours. Now they are stepping up ad campaigns again and flooding our inboxs and phones.

For the sake of the people you want to buy your product again...

BE CONSIDERATE WITH WHEN YOU TIME YOUR BULK SENDS.

• The vast majority of people do not have email on their phone or do not check it or care what comes into their email overnight, at least not to the point that it can't wait itll morning. Because of this and because, as Nic mentioned, it is better to blast email in the middle of the night when their is less congestion marketing departments and organizations do this stuff off hours. It may be annoying to those who have to minitor their email 24/hours a day and react to emails, however, much like us working during off hours because it is a better time for us to get stuff done their email servers are doing the same. I can't blame them, it makes sense and is a sound practice. If you need to react to system outages and things immediately upon an email receipt then rules or altering the way critical alerts are sent is the best way to handle it. Changing alerts to be sent via text or having a dedicated account for critical alerts isn't difficult to do and would save on the headaches if it wakes you up at 2am.

•  

bosclarke wrote:

That is funny...

I just checked the SW Digest and it comes in regularly around 2am... 

But simple enough to send to a folder or turn off my subscription... 

I agree with earlier statement to try and get off list if not happy about it..

typically I have the phone on silent at night...  not even vibrate...  if I wake up and check it great... if not... it will wait until later or someone will call the house frantic!

• I sleep through any emails at night (though occasionally my wife won't, but she can't wake me up anyhow, so moot point.) If it's something really crazy, someone will call and I'll wake up from that.

Besides, that's what offsite backups and insurance are for!

• Dashrender wrote:

...But I do realize that some people do have to take notifications overnight.  If you fall into that category, sounds like you need to find some rules that will allow notifications you really want them, as listed above.

Must be one of the few who uses multiple email accounts for this.  Vendors don’t get my primary email.

• To many notifications, but no way to touch my phone, my wife will ..... etc :)

• I agree, put your phone on silent and go to sleep. You can check these messages in the morning. I used to do that too, later I learned that unless I'm on the clock all night there is no need for me to stay up or get up to read these messages.

• The comments have been great.   I guess I could put in a few more filters and such to customize what actually gets through to my BB in the middle of the night.

I do tend to sleep through most of the notifications, since I just have my BB on vibrate.  Otherwise, my wife would indeed be killing me over all the emails coming in.

I did not think about the potential cost savings in sending out email blasts in the middle of the night.  However, timezone based notifications would spread out those email blasts around the clock.

If everyone is just deleting all the accumulated emails from overnight, then it serves no purpose for the vendor to send them out in the first place.   

I do not read many complaints about the situation.   Just acceptance.

• There are no cost savings from emailing off hours, at least not from my provider Exact Target. Marketers that send off hours are simply missing the mark (and their customers).

• I agree that it's annoying to get emails at 2AM. I have an android set up with my work account (Exchange) as well as my Gmail, so I have set them to use different tones, the Gmail tone is a light beep that is easily missed, while the work email makes a sound that's much harder to ignore.

I've set up a ton of filters trying to ensure that only important emails show up as New, and anything else bypasses my inbox or gets marked as read immediately so I don't have to hear it on my cell phone. This works somewhat, but I'll still get new messages that haven't been filtered yet occasionally.

If you're on an Android, there are some apps that will silence your phone at specific times. LOCALE will let you change ringtones based on GPS location or on time of day, so you can silence your notification whenever you're at home, or from 10pm to 6am or something. There's also one called SHUSH that will set a timer whenever you silence your phone, so you can turn off your ringer when you go to bed and then it can turn itself back on after X hours. (These won't alert you for real emails, but will at least let you get a good night's sleep.)

If you use GMail primarily, you can also set up multiple addresses using a + sign after your ID. For example, I always sign up for newsletters with myname+news@gmail.com and filter those to skip my inbox automatically, so they don't make noise on my phone. You could also do one for myname+alerts@gmail.com so your important emails come through loud and clear, and then just tell everything else to skip your inbox or to be marked as read automatically or something. This saves a lot of time because you can filter everything TO that address, instead of having to set up a new filter each time you sign up for a newsletter or create a new notification alert.

That + in addresses is a very handy feature, but it's not very well-known or advertised.

• http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/2-hidden-ways-to-get-more-from-your.html

• rstewart wrote:

This is EXACTLY why I love (and am stuck with) a blackberry. In the bb filter rules you can set various sender/subject/message keyword rules that change the message to "level 1". In your various audio profiles you then set a "level 1" sound. In addition you can also set per sender based message sounds. AND when you plug in to charge it can auto switch the audio profile.

This really is so true, and it's the biggest thing I miss about switching to the iPhone.

^^^this^^^ is what a "business" phone must do.

• Limey wrote:

rstewart wrote:

This is EXACTLY why I love (and am stuck with) a blackberry. In the bb filter rules you can set various sender/subject/message keyword rules that change the message to "level 1". In your various audio profiles you then set a "level 1" sound. In addition you can also set per sender based message sounds. AND when you plug in to charge it can auto switch the audio profile.

This really is so true, and it's the biggest thing I miss about switching to the iPhone.

^^^this^^^ is what a "business" phone must do.

Yet another reason the iPhone is not a business phone.

That being said.. even business people today are 'people' and they want the cool new toy, not some locked down corp piece of outdated junk. And before anyone blasts me for that, yes I understand that businesses need to protect themselves and their data, so I totally understand the need behind the lockdown, etc.  It seems that something like Touchdown for Android is the best of all worlds.  Since I'm new to Touchdown, I'm sure it's lacking something.. but it's a start.

•  

C_J wrote:

If you use GMail primarily, you can also set up multiple addresses using a + sign after your ID.

That + in addresses is a very handy feature, but it's not very well-known or advertised.

+ Trick doesn't work with a lot of forms asking for Email addresses...

however gmail is even trickier... 

homeboy@gmail.com 

if you want to filter it use "."s

h.omeboy@gmail works like a charm... gmail will let you use Periods all over your email which helps for filtering... use it plenty...

• I setup my phone like my servers, least privileges only. 

My phone will only ring or beep for a very limited list after hours, and even fewer during "quiet time". 

Vendors all get their own email aliases, and my phone has a few numbers to help it all work smoothly.   

• use different email accounts for different activity and only monitor that email account during your off hours. or have system management messages  directed to sms text messages

• Blackberry here, too. When I'm "on call" my phone is set for Only phone calls at night. Anything and everything else can wait till morning. Example if a server fails (and an email is sent saying it's down, I'll miss it) a supervisor will call saying they can't do such and such. That's when I spring into action. I rotate 3 weeks on and off 24/7 with my boss, so if I had to check every email when it came in I'd never get to sleep.

• Different media...

Email has traditionally been a slower response media. No worries about bothering someone with a poorly timed email, they will read it according to their own schedule. Need an immediate answer? Call by phone.

Because of the immediacy, most people have learned to control their phone usage, i.e. don't call at 10pm. If they want that question on your desktop at 8am they email it. Or they all at 8am.

The OP has decided to route email to his phone. And now he wants the rest of us to change our behavior. Not a likely proposition.

You need to change how your phone behaves; turn it off, turn down the volume, rules, whatever. Then have a nice sleep :)

• Different Media?

"The OP has decided to route email to his phone. And now he wants the rest of us to change our behavior. Not a likely proposition.

You need to change how your phone behaves; turn it off, turn down the volume, rules, whatever. Then have a nice sleep :)"

The "rest of us" would be vendors that want us to buy from them. I would think they would adjust their practices to fit the needs of those that they are trying to sell to. I do have my email sent to my phone cause that is how I communicate. I have filters in place to only alert me if it is from certain addresses, but saying "that is how we have always done it" just does not cut it. Times are changing and emails use has changed. If you don't adapt to your buyers then you are gonna die. I think doing any business should happen at business hours. Don't make yourself a constant problem or I will choose to stop doing business with you. Then I won't need to waste MY time setting up a filter.

• No, "the rest of us" is the majority; people who don't receive email via phone.

I'll grant you that the status quo is changing. But you need to keep in mind that email via phone is avant garde for most people. Even tho' it may me old hat for you, it's not not been adopted by a majority yet.

Within this community email via phone could be a majority... any facts available?

•  

Diffy wrote:

No, "the rest of us" is the majority; people who don't receive email via phone.

I think the late night /early morning email issue is hardly limited to vendors. News letters, insomniacs, people in other time zones. 

My boss does not sleep and send a tonne of 2am emails. 

•  

Rivitir wrote:

+1  (I would too, but my wife rolls over and elbows me when my phone goes off)

• I know it's dangerous, but I've been thinking about this...

A nice feature for a phone would be to go quiet on a user controlled schedule.

I know I'd like that, even for my home phone !

That would solve a lot of problems.

• I can only speak for reallinx, but we handle this with "access hours."  We ask the client to give us their accessible hours and we use that as a guide also for notices and calls.  Of course the client can call us 24*7, but our proactive notices and calls only happen during the access hours.

•  I can't really see how email via phone is avant garde for most people, I know Andriod requires a gmail account set up for the phone to be activated and it checks this mailbox by default. I would just think marketing people would not want this new annoyance to spark "national do not email ist" or something like that..

•  

Chris8731 wrote:

I can't really see how email via phone is avant garde for most people

At this point, most cell phones are still dumb, not capable of email. 

• Diffy wrote:

Chris8731 wrote:

I can't really see how email via phone is avant garde for most people

At this point, most cell phones are still dumb, not capable of email. 

Which is why the Blackberry is a business tool and consumer phones are, well, consumer phones. 

Read these next...