Home
Join

138 Replies

• Shut all equipment down, cover with plastic, wrap with plastic. Only then would it be advisable to smoke those suckers.

Just make sure to clean the floors really well and anything else the stuff may settle on.

We are going to need some pictures too.

Spice (100) flagReport
    1 found this helpful thumb_up thumb_down
  • I'd bring in a professional because the problem mostly likely isn't limited to that room - there could be nests in the walls, ceiling, etc.  At least I'd remove the equipment before "fogging".

Spice (74) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Good point, maybe the room is just their hang out room and they live in the ceiling or somewhere else.

Spice (13) flagReport
  • Can't wait to see the pictures.

Spice (16) flagReport
  • Pics or it didn't happen.

Shutdown servers before fogging.

Spice (24) flagReport
  • Also, such fog is, or can be, explosive (yes, pics, please) when mixed with regular air at certain ratios.

All powered equipment must be shut down and unplugged.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • Da_Schmoo wrote:

I'd bring in a professional because the problem mostly likely isn't limited to that room - there could be nests in the walls, ceiling, etc.  At least I'd remove the equipment before "fogging".

Hit the nail on the head. Repeated for emphasis. I'd venture to bet his spider problem extends beyond the server room. They came from somewhere. Safely shut down the equipment, remove it, and bring in pest control. 

Spice (17) flagReport
  • oh, pictures please.

please. interesting thing I had never considered before.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • yup, power down, cover up and do the fogging.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • At least you've got a great opportunity to send an interesting outage notification. 

Spice (88) flagReport
  • We have Bob the Bug Man.  No bugs around here.  A nest of spiders, ooh.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Tim-H wrote:

Good point, maybe the room is just their hang out room and they live in the ceiling or somewhere else.

Nerd Spiders?  What a concept!

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Now consider this. Set the room on fire.

Spice (18) flagReport
  • You might have to go with the other suggestions of shutting down, wrapping and fogging.

But then you would have to unwrap and toss said plastic that has been in the poisonous fog.

Make sure you use proper hazmat precautions in both handling and disposal.

As there are professional data center cleaners, I am sure you can find professional data center exterminators.

I would check with whoever cleans the data center to see if they recommend anyone...

Obviously this data center is not that cold...

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Check out the big exterminators like Arrow and Orkin...

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Sorry. OP... those particular spiders are members of a protected species. You will have to move your server room. These are the a-Rack-nics.

Spice (145) flagReport
  • GORT wrote:

Sorry. OP... those particular spiders are members of a protected species. You will have to move your server room. These are the a-Rack-nics.

Groan.

Spice (20) flagReport
  • Leigh (Network2Share) wrote:

GORT wrote:

Sorry. OP... those particular spiders are members of a protected species. You will have to move your server room. These are the a-Rack-nics.

Groan.

Hey...it's one of GORT's better puns
    Spice (14) flagReport
  • http://i.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/74469526/sydney-police-rush-to-domestic-abuse-call-only-all-was-not-as...

Funny, just read this ... And now saw this thread..

Spice (17) flagReport
  • Power down, cover up and send them to hell!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • GORT wrote:

Normally I would say, "Keep your day job."  But this time I won't as this was a good one!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • julianddavidson wrote:

http://i.stuff.co.nz/oddstuff/74469526/sydney-police-rush-to-domestic-abuse-call-only-all-was-not-as...

Funny, just read this ... And now saw this thread..

Thanks for sharing this!

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I highly recommend you get a professional firm in. Over the years I've encountered servers and desktop systems that were infested with bugs. They're attracted to the warmth, darkness and odors of electronics. So if you remove or cover the equipment in the room you might well be making the effort moot as the equipment may be carrying bugs/larvae/eggs.

Spice (19) flagReport
  • SteveFL wrote:

....Also included in this room seems to be a nest of spiders; a rather LARGE nest!....

What is the target and actual temperature & humidity of the server room?  Cannot imagine spiders liking the typical range.

Then again....being Florida, would need to check for all manner of freaky things.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Unless they're poisonous, large-fanged, venom-dripping spiders, just suck them up with a shop vac.

Also, I'm fairly certain I wouldn't give advice on this subject to the customer. This has a lot of potential to come crawling back and bite you, pun intended. Let the pest professional give the advice, tent the equipment, and take the risk. If not, when a piece of equipment fails in two weeks because of an unrelated issue, it will be your fault because you didn't protect the equipment correctly.

Spice (17) flagReport
  • I may have other bad news for you. The professional can confirm or deny to be sure.

Spiders are hunters. Where there are hunters there is game. If you've got spiders in that quantity what are they feeding on? Make sure your exterminator checks carefully.

Spice (11) flagReport
  • Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Spice (33) flagReport
  • Pictures! We need pictures!!

• Web hosting is in the past. Cloud it up on fog. =D

And pictures pleeease... Give it to us...

Spice (3) flagReport
  • How many spiders legs to a byte?

Spice (11) flagReport
  • All these ideas are moot. You and your company obviously have to move, leaving all equipment behind. In fact, it's not moving -- it's fleeing. Get everything backed up to the cloud, and restore it to your brand new equipment in your brand new building. Problem solved.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Talk to a professional, that is for sure. However, also take into consideration that there may also be nets inside the equipment - if cockroaches do it, why wouldn't spiders do it too?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Cant wait to see those pictures. good luck!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Are you sure its not Google spidering the site?

Sorry couldn't resist. :o)

Spice (5) flagReport
  • For this situation (since the fog probably only needs to sit for 24 hours?) I would do as everyone else suggested and shut everything off; do it on a Friday afternoon and leave it for the weekend.

But to share a story of a more extreme situation, a few years ago one of ours offices, including the server room, had to go through mould remediation (very large patches of ugly black stuff on the insides of the walls), which was going to take days/week to complete.  Moving all the server room equipment (two racks worth) wasn't viable, and neither was leaving everything shut down.

The contractors used 2x2's to construct some light framing around the racks and air conditioners, used thick plastic vapour barrier to enclose it, then framed a nice tunnel from the air conditioner to the racks.  So in the end our servers were fully enclosed from the room but could continue operating with proper cooling, and the contractors were able to rip out the walls and remediate the mould without worrying about the servers. 

Spice (3) flagReport
  • old Mexican saying: Where there is spider , there are no cockroaches !

I guess you don't have any bugs in your systems !

Maybe you could introduce a predator and create an ecosystem !

Is this the new green computing ?

Would you like a bit or a byte of spiders ?

Is this an Intranet ?

Where is the WWWeb ?

Spice (5) flagReport
  • When this is all over you'll have to update us with the results.  I like the spiders yes, cockroaches no aspect!  

Which one is the more evil?   Its funny to contemplate about, but then I don't have to worry about it either. 

• If spiders love cockroaches, Palmetto Bugs would be like a side of beef every night for dinner! Think about a cockroach that's a good half inch wide and an inch and a half or so long. They keep a lot of exterminators working.

On the bad visual side, I was thinking about cracking the case on a rack server, and out pop about 20 of the spider from DOOM, complete with laser cannons!

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Point flame thrower away from equipment, pull trigger three quick times. Use fire extinguisher where needed. Done!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Also ensure that you have no bugs inside your equipments as well.  Covering the devices up might also save these legged creatures.  Also check on what are they preying on, you might have uncovered a full ecosystem of bug (not computer-related).

As most also requested, PICTURES are a MUST!!!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • You have a "problem"? Sounds more like you have dinner. Get Bear Grylls to sort it out and he'll pay you for the meal. As mentioned before, no pics no proof.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • You just need a glass that fits over the building, and a really big coaster to slide underneath.

Oh, and some form of portal to throw them through.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • I like spiders, they eat a lot of far nastier / more annoying bugs, I'd just try to persuade them to relocate!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Web servers!

That is all.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • Maybe just buy a can of RAID....

Spice (7) flagReport
  • Release some geckos in there!

Geckos are easy to catch and love spiders :)

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Scott4256 wrote:

Take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure!

Game over man, game over!
    Spice (6) flagReport
  • I really think some pictures are in order here, sounds like a fairly horrific scenario given my mild arachnophobia :(

Spice (2) flagReport
  • They mostly come at night... mostly.

Spice (4) flagReport

Read these next...