Home
Join

116 Replies

• News websites != proof.

What proper scientific research has been done?

Spice (26) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • Lol, excerpt from the top link:

"I spoke briefly with our team of IT experts, and they say that only the laser jet printers are harmful. Unfortunately for me, that’s a laser printer sitting on my desk."

Sounds like an IT team having fun with them and the muppets went and posted it as a genuine article. I don't think this holds any water. I'm sure we would have been issued warnings for printers or they would have never been released for public use. They have been with us for  many years now, I can't see this "only just being discovered" now.

Spice (18) flagReport
  • I looked into this before, as the Health and Safety responsible manager.

If I recall the only possible anything to do with health, that is not fabricated is they can and do produce ozone from the high voltage section.  But what they produce is pretty much so miniscule that unless you're in a small closed room with it while printing non-stop for several hours on end, with no air flow there is no issue.  And even then, it's ozone.

Perhaps if your unit is in total disrepair it might leak toner.  We can all agree that's not good to breathe in.  But that again would be an extreme case.

Sounds like someone was having fun or maybe it's a case of the WiFi syndrome.

Spice (31) flagReport
  • Laser's used in surgery are much more powerful.  Some of those laser pointer's sold as toys are fairly powerful also.  And what about the laser on some of the speed detectors our police and sheriff departments use?

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Printers are a great source of stress for people, so yes they are harmful to humans.

Spice (57) flagReport
  • The only health issues I am aware of with Laser Printers/Printers in general is that of high blood-pressure and support-onset Tourette's resulting in uncontrolled profanity!

Spice (30) flagReport
  • Yes I'm sure if you have one practically sitting on your lap breathing deeply while running a 500 page report every day that is probably not the healthiest thing for you.

The whole thing is non-sense and shows how poor people really are with realistic risk management. Those two monster drinks again are more likely to give you diabetes, the bacon on everything isn't going to help your risk of heart disease or cancer, but yes complaining to get the printer moved should make you feel like you make great health choices in your life.

Spice (6) flagReport
  • The only health issues I know of them is your back they're so damn heavy! And your blood pressure if you're trying to fix it. 

Spice (4) flagReport
  • thats pretty scary! but I'm pretty sure my liver problems are caused by something else hahaha BEEEER!

Spice (3) flagReport
  • >.>

Spice (26) flagReport
  • All those "news" articles just seam to ramble on about nothing, correlation does not equal causation.

Spice (47) flagReport
  • sudo wrote:

The only health issues I am aware of with Laser Printers/Printers in general is that of high blood-pressure and support-onset Tourette's resulting in uncontrolled profanity!

Also why we have liver problems. Drinking caused by dealing with printers.

Spice (19) flagReport
  • The Glorious Morris wrote:

I looked into this before, as the Health and Safety responsible manager.

If I recall the only possible anything to do with health, that is not fabricated is they can and do produce ozone from the high voltage section.  But what they produce is pretty much so miniscule that unless you're in a small closed room with it while printing non-stop for several hours on end, with no air flow there is no issue.  And even then, it's ozone.

Perhaps if your unit is in total disrepair it might leak toner.  We can all agree that's not good to breathe in.  But that again would be an extreme case.

Sounds like someone was having fun or maybe it's a case of the WiFi syndrome.

As a health and safety responsible manager, I would take this guys advice. It sounds like he did his homework. Thanks, Morris for clearing the air. Never even thought of this before and it hasn't been brought up in my 5 years as an IT student at 2 different schools. Thankfully, most of our laser printers are in wide opened areas (except for the one in my server room office XD) and so far we only had the ink jets leak.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Will.McCoy

Enlightenment FTW!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • So guys are you telling me i shouldn't snort fat rails of printer toner?

Spice (27) flagReport
  • I had a new user once concerned about radiation from the big laser printer near her desk.  I checked with our printer maintenance guy.  He basically said the only time it would be bad was if you were sticking your head in the printer and huffing the toner.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • The printer is more likely to harm him by falling on him, than by printing

If you do move it, get ready in 3 months to move it back because he's sick of walking over to his printer every time he prints something

Spice (17) flagReport
  • So is this along the same lines of that Wireless Access Points, which give off killer radiation, and have to have signs next to stating so.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • All printers cause serious health problems. Mostly stress related. 

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Tell him not to go outdoors, to avoid breathing in the toxins from the cars and lorries.

Spice (9) flagReport
  • The ozone from any modern desktop printer is almost negligible anymore. The main reason is the shift from corona wires to charge rollers through most of the industry. Many larger (60 page per minute) devices still use corona wires to generate the drum charge and these can generate ozone, but they're also fitted with filtres to help absorb most of it.

As for toner, inhalation isn't going to cause much of an issue unless you're the poor guy who has to go around repairing them. Toner particles are so fine anymore that probably a tablespoon full of it could coat the floor of an office. As disturbing as that sounds, it also means that it's displaced very easily if it comes in contact with the regular air.

You've got a user that came across some old scaremongering information and is running with it. Older articles are also going to be looking at older equipment and if the studies were done using LaserJet 4050's or first generation digital copiers how relevant is it going to be to that LaserJet P3005 or the MP 5003 in your office?

Spice (4) flagReport
  • As long as your name isn't Wylie Coyote.  If it is I'd stay away from anything that has about the size and mass of an anvil. :)

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Bill2653 wrote:

Laser's used in surgery are much more powerful.  Some of those laser pointer's sold as toys are fairly powerful also.  And what about the laser on some of the speed detectors our police and sheriff departments use?

Snort!
  • Oh good God.   User is looking for a scape goat.  It's not my drinking or lack of exercise or genetics or anything else that's causing my liver or heart issues.  It's the printer!  Maybe having him get up and walk to a printer might be good for his heart?

Spice (8) flagReport
  • dpaul wrote:

Oh good God.   User is looking for a scape goat.  It's not my drinking or lack of exercise or genetics or anything else that's causing my liver or heart issues.  It's the printer!  Maybe having him get up and walk to a printer might be good for his heart?

or it will move a blood clot faster to his brain so the will get a stroke and rid the world of his stupidity...

too mean?

Spice (8) flagReport
  • I have read that Laser printers emit small levels of Ozone, which is not particularly good for you.

Yes, this is a wikipedia entry, but the Safety hazards section near the bottom is interesting reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_printing

• I can see a case for potential harm if one were to lift said printer, and repeatedly bring it downwards, in a forceful fashion, on the head of another person. This probably happens more often than we think

Spice (1) flagReport
  • If laserprinters and other IT stuff should cause sickness then i should be radiating already like a nuke already decades ago. So, IMO it's a case of BS to scare people

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Bill2653 wrote:

Laser's used in surgery are much more powerful.  Some of those laser pointer's sold as toys are fairly powerful also.  And what about the laser on some of the speed detectors our police and sheriff departments use?

<thread derail>

A woman was driving along at speed over a bridge only to find a cop with a radar gun on the other side lying in wait. The cop pulled her over, walked up to the car with that classic patronizing smirk and asked, 'What's your hurry, lady?'

She replied, 'I'm late for work.'

'Oh yeah,' said the cop, 'what do you do?'

'I'm a Rectum Stretcher,' she responded.

The cop stammered, 'A what?..'

'A Rectum Stretcher!'

'And just what does a rectum stretcher do?'

'Well,' she said, 'I start by inserting one finger in the rectum, then work my way up to two fingers, then three, then four, then with my whole hand in I work from side to side until I can get both hands in, and then I slowly but surely stretch it, until it's about 6 feet'

'And just what the hell do you do with a 6 foot arsehole?' he asked

'You give him a radar gun & park him behind a bridge...'

</thread derail>

Spice (20) flagReport
  • dpaul wrote:

Oh good God.   User is looking for a scape goat.  It's not my drinking or lack of exercise or genetics or anything else that's causing my liver or heart issues.  It's the printer!  Maybe having him get up and walk to a printer might be good for his heart?

I agree.  Use this as an excuse to remove personal printers and switch over to the more efficient workgroup printers.
    Spice (4) flagReport
  • Don't cave to the demands of someone with cyberchondria.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • For some reason I'm thinking your joker is more likely to fall into one of these categories 

http://www.thehealthsite.com/diseases-conditions/10-things-that-can-cause-liver-disease-sh114/

Spice (1) flagReport
  • if you look around on the internet you will find everything causes cancer.For instance breathing air causes cancer - 

http://guardianlv.com/2013/10/breathing-air-may-cause-cancer-according-to-study/

Which is why I now only breathe pure organic free range cage free glue fumes.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Tell the user to do this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9wsjroVlu8

Spice (5) flagReport
  • This should be a no-brainer. From the beginning of my IT career printers have given me headaches as well as increased blood pressure, depression, bouts of madness, and thoughts of printacide. I live a paperless lifestyle, but I don't force my healthy ways on others, although I secretly wish they would see the light.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • JoeWilliams wrote:

News websites != proof.

What proper scientific research has been done?

Those aren't even news websites, they're blog posts.

My stance is I'm not moving that printer unless they supply a doctor's note from a licensed physician.
    Spice (1) flagReport
  • If a laser printer is doing a lot of printing in close proximity to person who may be extra sensative to minute chemicals in the air then this person may at time get what I have seen dubbed as "Office sickness" which is usually headache and nauseua. The two factors (a ton of printing and hyper sensative person) are rare. But in reality they would also be as sensative to other fumes like pumping gas at a gas station, stuck in traffic, paint fumes, etc.

The thing about laser printers are not the printers themselves it is the toner powder and excessive exposure to the actual powder. I dont mean getting a little on your hands once in awhile during cartridge changes. I mean looking like a WV coal miner exposure. Other than that average use is such small dosages of toner or fumes that are safer than sitting in traffic sucking up carbone monoxide.

But in IT we must cater to our users and make them feel safe within reason. If this guy feels unsafe and moving it is within reason then it is an acceptable comprimise.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Oh man, this is just hysterical.

I'd pay for one of my users to send this request to me. Then I'd dine out on it for months jerking them one way or another over it, even if I was the only one laughing!!

• Wow! That is funny Porco_Rosso!  And I think it frames it wonderfully.  Move the laser printer a little farther away, or put up a barrier and call it done. Good luck! 

• When I have people ask me the question I send them the link below and let them know HR or their department heads are likely the best starting point if they still have questions.

http://www3.epa.gov/apti/ozonehealth/population.html

• you should also disconnect the users computer...cause you know...electricity kills!

I remember hearing about this back in the days, laser jets (think HP laserjet 4's) and toner particles that come out but I dont think they'll cause harm unless you're sniffing the printer every time you print.  But hey, I am IT not a scientist!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • While my diagnosis was linked to long term exposure and moderate activity near a full size high volume high use copiers in a poorly ventilated space may skew my view on this I am unclear why anyone here feels the need to harass people for having questions regarding items that may concern their health.

If there were overwhelming studies and evidence it did not cause issues or it was a running gag like dihydrogen monoxide flame on, but that does not seem to be the case.

• Bring back monks, scribes, and calligraphers with barrels of ink and sacks full of quills.

Gutenberg presses could come back in style. Give users dyes, ink and have them press all they want.

Watch the cost of printing drop.

Mike400 wrote:

dpaul wrote:

I agree.  Use this as an excuse to remove personal printers and switch over to the more efficient workgroup printers.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Give him the option of keeping the printer where it is or walking 30 feet down the hall to the workgroup printer. Either way it is little to no work for you and a little walking never hurt anyone.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • As long as the kit complies to appropriate safety standards for your location then you have done what you need to do.

• Health issues? Nah, I've eaten plenty of them and never had a problem!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. But wanted to chime in on some of the comments too...

The concern of Ozone poisoning... Ozone is produced by the fuser and copiers and laser printers both produce this. It's also produced when you drag a penny across the copper rails on a toy train set. As a risk it is less than the chance that a red M&M will give you cancer. Be more afraid of the trace amounts of mold and asbestos that work into the fibers of old ceiling tiles.

The concern of raidiation... No, there is no radiation from a laser printer, it's more like a heater than a microwave.

The concern of toxins.. Maybe, I do think that the laser printers attract more dust than the inkjets and provide a warm and possibly slightly damp environment for spores and mold to thrive. So clean the plastic innards (not the fuser or the toner) once in a while with a damp cloth and a mild bleach solution and put a little fresh grease on the gear assemblies once in a while.

Personal note....Picturing the Head of HP's Inkjet division sitting in his underwear tweeting, "Laser printers silent killers? Maybe..."

• My guess is that the noise (or something similar) is annoying them and they're looking for an excuse to get it moved..

• I think the micro particulates will have an effect for sure

Way back in 2006 I did a job for 2 weeks refilling toner cartridges. Worst job ever ever. I was told by the boss dont breath in the toner when refilling it.  Also keep in mind there are different toners for different tasks.. oil based etc.

• If it's on the Internet it must be true!!!

Spice (1) flagReport

Read these next...