Home
Join

36 Replies

• Interesting...

Spice (2) flagReport
    Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down
  • I may have to give this a whirl, but I'm not sure how useful it will be for us.  With us being a media company, the lack of multimedia functionality would limit its appeal around here.

Spice (4) flagReport
  • Breathing new life into old PCs. CloudReady is like life support for a very old device. Pretty solid solution for a rock bottom budget.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • Going to try this on a couple of laptops sitting in storage. Thanks for the write up!

Spice (6) flagReport
  • Going to have to try that with some old laptops and see how it works.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • chrome os is a good idea, but limited market

I have been using {pick your own flavour of} Linux for ages for old boxes with no license to keep them going, but less and less as hardware becomes almost worthless.

isn't worth my time. may have a look for the hell of it.

Spice (5) flagReport
  • That's awesome, we might be moving to an editorial system that is hosted in the cloud so that would be pretty handy for us.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I've got a few bricks just waiting for this ...

Spice (2) flagReport
  • This might breathe some life into my old 1.6 dual-core PC :)

• Anyone know if this will work in a VM ? Virtual Box or VMWare Workstation ?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Useful for my "hand-me-downs" that go to the rest of my family

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I've been using a Chromium build on top of Ubuntu called Chromixium in VirtualBox and on an old laptop for a while.  I wonder if someone can get a side by side of the two to together to highlight which would be better given different applications.

Spice (3) flagReport
  • Guess what I am going to try out.

• Not interested even at free.

"CloudReady doesn't support H.264 and MP4 video, MP3 audio, or Netflix."

Why not?

I can run Linux from a pendrive on any laptop capable of booting from a USB stick and i can run VLC or Netflix via Chromium or Firefox.

7 different versions even have the look and feel of the Mac OSX OS.

Close, no cigar for you.

Regards,

Paul "smoking will stunt your growth" Luciano, MCSE

Spice (1) flagReport
  • I've looked into it, the cost of the trying to migrate our 70+ Dell E6410's plus replacing parts as they fail isn't worth the benefit of purchasing a new chromebook. Maybe for some older desktops, with the Laptops you may still have the cost(s) of replacing parts like fans/batteries/keyboards as they fail. For the Dell's a new battery is already 1/3rd the cost of a new chromebook, and the device would not get AS long of a life. 

Cloudready/neverware are good bandaids, that sadly K12 administrators flock to and think this will solve all _____ problems, when the reality is it just lets them spend 500 instead of 5000 today, and next year they will have to spend 900, it is short terms savings at the expense of long term costs.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Cweb wrote:

Cloudready/neverware are good bandaids, that sadly K12 administrators flock to and think this will solve all _____ problems, when the reality is it just lets them spend 500 instead of 5000 today, and next year they will have to spend 900, it is short terms savings at the expense of long term costs.

Ever balanced a K12 budget while managing the demands of the admin and staff? Sometimes a short-term band-aid is much better than passive planning for things you can't afford. Take the time to get what you can, so maybe you reclaim some time for better long term solutions.
    Spice (5) flagReport
  • I put this on an old Dell laptop the first day it came out and it worked.  The free version is good I guess if you have an old laptop and just need to get it on line.  But the draw back is if you want to manage it the cost is 25 per year or 59 for life.  And of course any chrome book you want to manage costs 30 bucks so that is the same.

So the choice is a brand new chrome book with a year warranty for under 200 our use your old laptop for 59 if you want to manage it as I would working in a K12.  I have a bunch of these old dells in the basement but in order to be of any use I will need new batteries which will add to the cost and even with a new battery they will last about half as long on a charge as a new chrome book.

So we decided to pass but if you do not need to manage them and can leave them plugged in then this might be a good deal for you. 

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Great write-up, Aaron! CloudReady is an EXCELLENT way to revive hardware into a like-new device. For IT Pros in schools, CloudReady can be installed via a USB drive with the new operating system on it. If any admins at schools are exploring this as an option, School Tech Supply provides licenses and with our STS White Glove Services we would be happy to clean-up your older machines, make any repairs necessary, and turn your machines into Google Chromebooks using CloudReady software on-site or back at our facility. In fact we just recently did an on-site CloudReady upgrade for a school with 3,000 devices. Needless to say, School Tech Supply definitely supports CloudReady upgrades and we're more than willing to help education admins with it! You can take a look at more on this here or just reach out to me with details!

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Guess I'll take the ol' doorstop Micron PC Laptop and put it back to use for an Admin.

• johnjutte wrote:

Cweb wrote:

Ever balanced a K12 budget while managing the demands of the admin and staff? Sometimes a short-term band-aid is much better than passive planning for things you can't afford. Take the time to get what you can, so maybe you reclaim some time for better long term solutions.
    They could always use Porteus.
    Spice (2) flagReport
  • I like

• From the article—

• "....aimed mostly at schools with aging fleets...."

As with others, can think of a number of scenarios where this could be handy.  Wonder if it something they'll offer via TechSoup, or the like.

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Sounds Gr8 when the older PC defined the world to CloudReady .

• Been doing this for years with some of the really lean Linux distros.  Is it just me or does Chrome get on anyone else's nerves?

Spice (1) flagReport
  • volumewithin wrote:

I've been using a Chromium build on top of Ubuntu called Chromixium in VirtualBox and on an old laptop for a while.  I wonder if someone can get a side by side of the two to together to highlight which would be better given different applications.

Chromixium is awesome! I tried it yesterday based on your advice.

I'm running it from a flash drive on an old Dell e1505.

It is super fast and everything works great.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • No netflix killed it for me.  I was hoping to be able to replace windows on an old laptop my wife uses to watch netflix.

Going to check out Chromixium.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • johnjutte wrote:

I do balance K12 budgets on a daily basis and deal with the demands of an admin and staff. As a K12 admin you have to set the expectations. Give the others the clear information in easy to understand terms. Some K12 admins are lucky and are given actual reigns to manage the IT infrastructure, some are called IT directors/coordinators/whatever but are no more than Network/Sys admins. 

No matter which scenario a K12 admin falls under he/she must be willing to draw a line in the sand and say NO. Administrators are easily sold on flashy/new things from sales people. It is the job of a k12 admin to be the subject matter expert when it comes to the technology and the capabilities of the existing hardware. You might be unpopular because the device count drops from 300 devices to 200 because you did not do ______. Too bad, every district says they are preparing the kids for the future, but may refuse to actually budget for the technology NEEDS that that looks like, that is not a technology problem that is a leadership problem. As the techs in K12 we can either support a faulty leadership or let them reap what they sow. 

You have to be willing to be unpopular and do the right thing, rather than pad some administrators resume, who may or may not be in your district 3 years from now when the time to cycle comes up. Countless schools across the nation are facing this aging computer problem because they took the stimulus money and bought _______ without planning ahead for the cycle replacement or allocating the budget to continue. Short-term planning leads to long term failure in K12. Most programs implemented in a K12 environment do not have good data for 5-7 years after implementation.

Spice (2) flagReport
  • I have hear of this every now and again in the library, school IT community.  I will have to try it out on some old laptops that are no longer useful with newer Windows and such.

• Snufykat wrote:

No netflix killed it for me.  I was hoping to be able to replace windows on an old laptop my wife uses to watch netflix.

Why no Netflix?  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh?hl=en-US

• JeffLew07 wrote:

Snufykat wrote:

No netflix killed it for me.  I was hoping to be able to replace windows on an old laptop my wife uses to watch netflix.

Why no Netflix?  https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/netflix/deceagebecbceejblnlcjooeohmmeldh?hl=en-US

Based on earlier post and it did not work when i tried it.

https://neverware.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/205516288-Cannot-stream-video?locale=e...

I did not try the web store route.

• Snufykat wrote:

Based on earlier post and it did not work when i tried it.

https://neverware.zendesk.com/hc/communities/public/questions/205516288-Cannot-stream-video?locale=e...

I did not try the web store route.

Good to know.
    Thanks,
    Jeff
  • "OLD" technology? The laptop in the picture is an Alienware R14!

Wow Aaron W... what's considered "NEW" to you, a Falcon Northwest TLX? 

Spice (2) flagReport
  • Thanks.  I'm trying this in the next week or two.  I'll try to remember to post back with my thoughts.

• I like your thoughts.
    You wouldn't happen to have a Libertarian leaning, would you?  Touting personal responsibility and a lack-of-disillusion regarding Federal programs are qualities I like in any person!

Spice (1) flagReport
  • Eh, I don't have a compatible model laying around to try it with.

• Thanks for the post!! I have always wanted to try it out. I know in what it was (an OS that is just google chrome) but still have wanted to play with it for awhile. I checked the certified computers list and the Lenovo ThinkPad T500 was on it. We have probably a dozen of those laying around so I followed the directions and loaded this on. Was simple and definitely a good way to make use of old hardware if it works in your environment!!

Read these next...

• Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Cloud storage to share video files 5TB and larger

Data Storage, Backup & Recovery

I assisting a company that is looking for cloud storage for large video files so they can upload the videos at one site and download them at another.The current solution is manually shipping usb hard drives with the video files which are around 5TB or lar...

• Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Spark! Pro Series - 28th September 2022

Water Cooler

Today in History: 1980 Carl Sagan's 13 part "Cosmos" premieres on PBSAstronomer Carl Sagan's landmark 13-part science series takes you on an awe-inspiring cosmic journey to the edge of the Universe and back aboard the spaceship of the imagination.The seri...

• Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Win 10 Lock screen showing wrong name, after name change

Windows

I have a strange thing happening with a remote laptop after I changed her name.So, everything is changed in AD and setup correctly.  So, I like to simplify things for my users so when i change names I do the following: change names in AD username email ...

• Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Best Practice Enterprise Wiping Devices Before New User

Windows

Hello all.As I am sitting here wiping laptops for one of my sites, in preparation for any new users that start.I got to thinking, what is the best practice for re-deploying previously used laptops in an enterprise environment? I was curious how ya'll hand...

• Tech & End User Expectations

Tech & End User Expectations

Best Practices & General IT

Hey all!We are an IT team of 10 in a school district, and there have been some recent (and not so recent) issues with techs being snarky, end users being snarky, etc.We are trying to turn a new leaf, and want to come up with a set of expectations for the ...