Home
Join

40 Replies

• We've had some serious stuff over the past few weeks, 2 1/2 to 3 foot at points in the local area.

Unfortunately i live 3 minutes walk from work... so muggins here still had to go... :/

Was this post helpful? thumb_up thumb_down

• Lord, never move to Chicago, then. Two feet over overnight snow, and they ask what held you up when you are 5 minutes late the next morning! Thank God I am in Texas now, lol.

• Mick2404 wrote:

We've had some serious stuff over the past few weeks, 2 1/2 to 3 foot at points in the local area.

Unfortunately i live 3 minutes walk from work... so muggins here still had to go... :/

We have only had like 2-3 Inches!! not foot :) I am in the same boat I live 20 yards from work :( so I have to be in no matter what, I have tried the entire transport difficulties but everyone thought I was joking.

• I drive a Jeep, so I am expected to get to work.

Some of the office staff just wait for a director to pick them up in their 4x4.

• only a n inch or so so far.

had no heating in the office today though :-(

some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to perform maintenance on it during the winter !!!!

• Ok here, 2- 3 inches, but the roads are icy and rutted with snow, could really do with sweeping and salting, on country roads as well as in town. -10 degress this morning, giving some staff a lift home and Directors are arranging lifts too.

• GPB2992 wrote:

Ok here, 2- 3 inches, but the roads are icy and rutted with snow, could really do with sweeping and salting, on country roads as well as in town. -10 degress this morning, giving some staff a lift home and Directors are arranging lifts too.

Its about -8/-9 here now :-| none of our staff drive 4x4's so its not like they can't just give people lifts.

• Dr.Funk wrote:

only a n inch or so so far.

some bright spark thought it would be a great idea to perform maintenance on it during the winter !!!!

Only a maintenance person would think thats a good idea!

• IT_nut wrote:

Dr.Funk wrote:

only a n inch or so so far.

Only a maintenance person would think thats a good idea!

indeed.

Nothing is nicer than fighting your way in to work to find that the place is freezing cold !!

Fortunately I cycle in so I was already wearing my super cold weather gear.

• so sad when people use the snow as an excuse. got plenty of people claiming "snowed in", in the midlands.

not like you cant get chains/winter tyres/socks on your car and get to work.

hell, if my car can get in, then theres no excuses.

it does make the roads quiet though, so there is a benefit to slackers :)

• lots of snow... but I don't think that's a problem...

• Don't worry you are not the only country with a snow problem. Here in the US, depending on where you live, it can paralyze a state. Up here in the Northeast, despite the historic large snow falls, it isn't so bad, though people make the biggest deal about it and do not know how to drive in it. But go down to Washington DC, and Virginia a foot of snow or less can bring everything to a grinding halt.

• Alex3031 wrote:

Don't worry you are not the only country with a snow problem. Here in the US, depending on where you live, it can paralyze a state. Up here in the Northeast, despite the historic large snow falls, it isn't so bad, though people make the biggest deal about it and do not know how to drive in it. But go down to Washington DC, and Virginia a foot of snow or less can bring everything to a grinding halt.

A foot of snow is terible! 8 inches stopped most of Manchester in January! A foot and people wouldnt be able to leave houses!

• cmon has it been that long since you brits got that kind of snow, my understanding is your weather was quite similar to New Englands' weather here in the states, cold, changes on a whim and can snow a lot if the right conditions present themselves.

• Alex3031 wrote:

cmon has it been that long since you brits got that kind of snow, my understanding is your weather was quite similar to New Englands' weather here in the states, cold, changes on a whim and can snow a lot if the right conditions present themselves.

It can be cold and change quickly, but that 8 inches of snow in January is the most snow I have seen in my life! We rarely get much snow here (Stockport).

• It was nice at first, but now it's just getting on my nerves. I got stuck in the frickin car park this evening! Rear-wheel drive with 2mm tread doesn't help - fun on the bends though ;-)

• If you want to see pandemonium, try being in the Deep South when the slightest bit of snow falls!  At least here in New Orleans, we're smart enough to use it as an excuse to stay home!  In other places, they just can't wait to hit the roadways and play bumper cars.

• Snow! What is this snow of which you speak?

Anything below 10 deg Celsius  (50 Deg F) is considered considered cold here and where I used to live a few years ago, I heard the radio announcer say "It's a chilly 19 degrees outside" (that's 68F for those in the US)

It's currently about 25 C outside, so I'm heading outside to eat my lunch :-)

I love living in Australia.

• Peter006.5 wrote:

Snow! What is this snow of which you speak?

Apparently there was snow in New South Wales the other day:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/national/8542236/australias-weather-is-weird-and-wonderful/Opens a new window

• I work in an industrial estate, so the roads rarely get gritted, and buses are bad the best of times, snow just makes it worse... but I've have no real problems....yet.

4 sleeps till Chrimbo :-)

• Glen8990 wrote:

I work in an industrial estate, so the roads rarely get gritted, and buses are bad the best of times, snow just makes it worse... but I've have no real problems....yet.

Dude, Dorset is the worst prepared county I'm sure of it!  I used to live in a village that you had to go up a massive hill to get to, so glad that i moved into my local pub in October!!

• andy_dorset wrote:

Glen8990 wrote:

I work in an industrial estate, so the roads rarely get gritted, and buses are bad the best of times, snow just makes it worse... but I've have no real problems....yet.

Dude, Dorset is the worst prepared county I'm sure of it!  I used to live in a village that you had to go up a massive hill to get to, so glad that i moved into my local pub in October!!

to get into our work there is a corner at the bottom of a hill, you are 100% guaranteed to slide on that corner, pretty fun tbh, where i live at home alot of the roads are bad, but its the drivers that cause more of a risk than the weather, some people dont know how to drive in the snow, or they drive normal as they would if there were no snow in the snow, which means other drivers are at risk. that annoys me the most.

but when you do your driving test they dont tell you how to drive in the snow, or if you have just passed and dont have experience, your first instinct is to brake, which of course one of the worst things to do.

• Southeastern were supposedly running a "normal" service yesterday which explains why I got in an hour late and even though I left at 4pm still didn't get home until nearly 7.  According to the site they were running a normal service today which meant 3 cancellations and me working from home!

• there has been many a time where i have had to wait up and over an hour for a bus that is meant to come every 10 minutes.

i have added go north-east on facebook, and that has become quite useful in getting up to date news on buses both by the public and the company itself.

i posted a question about the buses and the company itself got back to me within 10 minutes to answer it, so it looks like they are at least trying...

• It's not been too bad here in Liverpool, plenty of snow and public transport is running limited or sunday services but I've not really had any issues getting into work other than being 10-15 mins late.

The company I work for gave everyone a set of traction devices for their shoes (only fair considering we sell them), which has helped with the walk to and from the train stations

• sb_uk wrote:

It's not been too bad here in Liverpool, plenty of snow and public transport is running limited or sunday services but I've not really had any issues getting into work other than being 10-15 mins late.

The company I work for gave everyone a set of traction devices for their shoes (only fair considering we sell them), which has helped with the walk to and from the train stations

That sounds good with the traction devices.

• Oxford got 8inch during Saturday

maidenhead got about 4.

Seems after the last 10-15 years of mild winters we've got rid of all the serious equipment we had, even up in Yorkshire - Huddersfield -  where we wouldn't it had snowed till we had at least 12 inches.

• may I ask, what a traction device for shoes is?

• There's lots of different types but in the main they are of a  rubber slipper type construction with either coils or little spikes in the bottom which allow u to grip the snow/ice

• We've had snow since late November here in the North East and have managed quite well, one thing that did cause amusement is that I and several others who live a bit further out, managed to make it in to the office every day and people who live in the same town were unable. There was also a huge increase in the requests for Citrix access.

I honestly dont think its about being prepaired, just ask illidan, its just that people will use any excuse not to work.

• i have never heard nor seen them before, im amazed. so simple i dont know why i didnt think of it.

• Glen8990 wrote:

i have never heard nor seen them before, im amazed. so simple i dont know why i didnt think of it.

Same, might have to look out for something like that!

• yeah lots of snow in northern Indiana (USA) but the only bad thing is the drivers. They either drive 3 mph on perfectly clear roads like they have never seen snow before or they drive like it is a race course. Nice to see the speed demons stuck in a snow pile further down the road though. LOL!

• BuddyFarr wrote:

yeah lots of snow in northern Indiana (USA) but the only bad thing is the drivers. They either drive 3 mph on perfectly clear roads like they have never seen snow before or they drive like it is a race course. Nice to see the speed demons stuck in a snow pile further down the road though. LOL!

HA! Just laugh at them as you drive past!

• If you live in the US east of Ohio and North of Maryland or so, we kind of laugh at snow.  In February we had 40" dumped on us, and I took a single day "working from home" to shovel out my garage since the asshole who clears the parking lot my garage opens out to decided to push their snow against my garage - I literally had to move chunks of ice 150lbs so I could get my car out.  That was our worst snowfall on record.  Parts east and north of us got alot more. 

Anyway, yeah.  We had 6 inches fall last week over night.  I happened to be off that day, but spent most of the morning shoveling.  The roads weren't the best, even the next day, and schools were cancelled for 2 days.  

The key is to live in an area where people know how to drive in the snow and don't take stupid chances.  Although sometimes the snow can turn my 25 minute commute each way to an hour each way.  Better safe than sorry.

And the forecast for this weekend: a Noreaster gonna blow thru Saturday night and dump a yet-to-be-determined amount of snow on us.  Could be 3 inches, could be 3 feet.  

• We will close down the office if the roads are unsafe. Not that I can't drive on them, but it is a mine field when everyone else is skidding though stoplights and spinning down hills. I drive a Jeep wrangler, so if the office is open, I am expected to be here, because i have no excuses. :-)

• thats why you buy an electric car haha.... not that even this is enough to make me even think about owning one...

• CapnJTKirk wrote:

Lord, never move to Chicago, then. Two feet over overnight snow, and they ask what held you up when you are 5 minutes late the next morning! Thank God I am in Texas now, lol.

we only got like 4 inches last night. Its been mostly calm here right now. People still cant drive though. Seriously, one flake hits the ground and all of a sudden people feel the need to drive 400 mph under the speed limit. ITS CALLED GET A CAR WITH 4 WHEEL DRIVE PEOPLEEEEEE ITS THE FUTUREEEEE ZOMG 

• Only had a dusting so far here.  I like it when it snows here, however.  Most of the confused, hesitant drivers who never know what to do stay off the roads, and the speed demons and nut jobs generally wipe themselves out for a week at a time once we get that first good snowfall.

...then again, this is SouthWestern Connecticut.  Drivers here adopt bad habits from neighboring states' drivers on top of their own insanity so there's always an accident somewhere.

• So f***ing bored of it now. I have to walk a mile to my car because the hill I live at the top of is frozen. Just snow on ice on top of ice. 

Plus it was minus 13 when I arrived at work today......

Read these next...

• Today's amusing website request

Today's amusing website request

Water Cooler

From a side group that I handle:We need to update the address information on the website.  (It's on a few different pages).Can you export the website to Microsoft Word so that we can just search and replace?Funniest request I've gotten in a while.On a sid...

• Standalone private mail server

Standalone private mail server

Security

Hi team, all this post is about personal use,Since few months, or even years, having all my mails on google servers is bothering me. So I am seriously thinking about creating a standalone mail server here in my home. The aim is not either to create huge s...

• Snap! -- Titan, Sentient AI, Chatbot Tests, Rat Czar, Wireless Electricity

Snap! -- Titan, Sentient AI, Chatbot Tests, Rat Czar, Wireless Electricity

Spiceworks Originals

Your daily dose of tech news, in brief. Welcome to the Snap! Flashback: Back on December 2, 1954, The US Navy dedicates its Naval Ordnance Research Calculator (NORC) (Read more HERE.) Bonus Flashback: Back on December 2, 1995, NASA launch...

• They had ONE job!

They had ONE job!

Security

Was trying to be a nice IT person.Transferred user computer profile from one desktop to another. All went well, no real issues, just a couple of apps the user needed to install, like Citrix Workspace. So I left local admin rights for the users account to ...

• Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spark! Pro series – 2nd December 2022

Spiceworks Originals

I don’t know about you, but I am feeling the Christmas Spirit.  The tree is up, the packages are wrapped, the house and yard are decorated.  And the Eggnog is spiked!  Happy Friday Y’all! Just a reminder, if ...